Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Move Palmieri to a non contender. There is enough space to move. Just need to get creative. After this year need to have the 4th line wings making league minimum and have Räty here on the same. What most teams do structure wise to make it work
If the money is right, why not Wally on 3rd or 4th line. Just because he doesn't produce 1st round talent doesn't mean he can't be an asset. A little scoring punch ...and he's one of the only guys willing to stick his nose in and mix it up for his mates. If he were out there, he would have engaged some Cap in a glove drop after the Ovechkin hit.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
If the money is right, why not Wally on 3rd or 4th line. Just because he doesn't produce 1st round talent doesn't mean he can't be an asset. A little scoring punch ...and he's one of the only guys willing to stick his nose in and mix it up for his mates. If he were out there, he would have engaged some Cap in a glove drop after the Ovechkin hit.
Totally agree. I think Wally played his best hockey of his young career with JGP as his center. Pageau has a way to simplify his play in the pivot position for young players, wins faceoffs for possession, and plays a solid 2 way game.

Reactions: Mike C

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Move Palmieri to a non contender. There is enough space to move. Just need to get creative. After this year need to have the 4th line wings making league minimum and have Räty here on the same. What most teams do structure wise to make it work

Not advisable to have a 4th line like that-
That line is NOT the issue. This team will lose the identity that they exemplify as well as their 2 best Pkers and 2nd best player on the face off dot. Those 3 for under 6 m is solid.

Raty needs to earn his spot

You can have something like what you are talking about by having Parise and Holmstrom playing with Pageau both will be under 1m.

I doubt you can move Palmieri at TDL- NTC.
It becomes a M-NTC July 1st. He is more likely an Isle next year.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The Question is , will Wally be healthy at Trade Deadline and does any GM see him like most
of the fanbase here ? I for one, see very little value in him and would think if we are moving this year's first +, I don't think Wally brings the added "equivalent first" that would be needed. I hope I'm wrong because Wally as a top 6, I don't like the smell test and if any GM does (Hopefully Mike Grier) I'm packing his bags
so difficult to know how the rest of the league values Wahlstrom. he has the pedigree, so if it is something like the ‘23 1st + Wahlstrom (and maybe another minor piece) then Isles and Lou have to do it.

Correct - he only gets $10M as a QO if they can't work out a long term deal.

Meier would actually be perfect for the Isles as a LH shot RW who takes a lot of shots and scores a lot of goals and isn't a one trick pony (eg., not a Mike Hoffman). Lee - Barzal - Meier would probably work very nicely as complimentary skills. And he's good enough and young enough that he'd be worth pretty much any 1st round pick that isn't Bedard.
Agree DC - a Forsberg contract is probably what he gets.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
and Timo also means the prospect pool gets even more shallow. you're pouring more resources into an inevitable decline that you cannot stop. It would be more catastrophic than a Vanek trade. The point you make about cap is also massive, especially when you consider how poorly structured it is.
Why would it be an inevitable decline?

Sorokin, Barzal, and Meier would all be in their prime years. Not to mention Dobson is under 25. pelech and Pulock are also still under 30.

The QO is for 1 year.

Boeser had a similar situation and signed for 3 years for less than the QO. Meier should get somewhere around 8. The cap is also rising. If Isles have an opportunity to grab Meier they should do it. He fits right in.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Why would it be an inevitable decline?

Sorokin, Barzal, and Meier would all be in their prime years. Not to mention Dobson is under 25. pelech and Pulock are also still under 30.

The QO is for 1 year.

Boeser had a similar situation and signed for 3 years for less than the QO. Meier should get somewhere around 8. The cap is also rising. If Isles have an opportunity to grab Meier they should do it. He fits right in.
i'm saying it more because of several factors
-the loss of more draft picks/prospects
-assumption our GM situation doesn't change
-timo hypothetically regresses on here
i'd love for Timo, I just hope to god that it could work out. time is running out on the isles to make a move.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Not advisable to have a 4th line like that-
That line is NOT the issue. This team will lose the identity that they exemplify as well as their 2 best Pkers and 2nd best player on the face off dot. Those 3 for under 6 m is solid.

Raty needs to earn his spot

You can have something like what you are talking about by having Parise and Holmstrom playing with Pageau both will be under 1m.

I doubt you can move Palmieri at TDL- NTC.
It becomes a M-NTC July 1st. He is more likely an Isle next year.
I meant this summer not at the TDL. If they can they should if not then oh well.

As far as the 4th line goes… Clutterbuck needs to retire at this point… He can’t stay healthy. Martin is having a good year and I’d be fine with him coming back next year. Martin - Cizikas - Fasching should be the 4th line next year. Save a million on cal alone and Fasching is superior to him at this point.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I’m fine with Wally on the 3rd line next year next to Pageau and Parise. I think it is a good line.

Reactions: MarsTBOW and Mike C

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Clutter out indefinitely, I’d bet that’s the last time we see him in an Islander uniform.

Loved everything about the guy
This is going to be taken the wrong way, but God I hope so.

The last few years he monopolized a roster spot and always left us scrambling to find a replacement for him when he got hurt.

FWIW, it looked like Clutterbuck's hand was broken by a slash. Gonna assume he'll be out 4-6 weeks.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Räty called up again, Clutterbuck out indefinitely.

So expect Räty to center the fourth line and for Cizikas to play wing somewhere in the top nine.

Also could have sworn I saw that Pelech and Wahlstrom were closed, which is strange because Wahlstrom was said to be out long term.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Räty called up again, Clutterbuck out indefinitely.

So expect Räty to center the fourth line and for Cizikas to play wing somewhere in the top nine.

Also could have sworn I saw that Pelech and Wahlstrom were closed, which is strange because Wahlstrom was said to be out long term.

I don’t think Wally is even skating yet? Palms should be close but apparently picked up the mystery Pulock injury from last year.

Raty likely to hit the 9 games now. It what is likely a waste of a year. Not overly thrilled with it although he is prob the best option at this point. It would have helped a lot if Lou could have picked up a body or two in dec when this all started.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Clutter out indefinitely, I’d bet that’s the last time we see him in an Islander uniform.

The last few years he monopolized a roster spot and always left us scrambling to find a replacement for him when he got hurt.

FWIW, it looked like Clutterbuck's hand was broken by a slash. Gonna assume he'll be out 4-6 weeks.
Well, I definitely would’ve won the preseason under bet for games played by Clutter this year.

Since it looks like I was right on this one, I’ll pile on here. His deal was one of the most misguided by the Isles in recent history. In magnitude some will argue the point and say it wasn’t significant based on his salary. I don’t agree.

It’s unclear if he was injured at or after last year’s TDL but they also might’ve been able to receive a minor asset for him at that time. Sometimes it’s just best to move on.

Btw I’m not convinced that this Black Knight of Monty Python lore will go LTIR over a broken hand.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Also one of a few who doesn’t hesitate to shoot.

Reactions: Mike C

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017

What I thought immediately, broken wrist.

Reactions: MJF

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Well, I definitely would’ve won the preseason under bet for games played by Clutter this year.

Since it looks like I was right on this one, I’ll pile on here. His deal was one of the most misguided by the Isles in recent history. In magnitude some will argue the point and say it wasn’t significant based on his salary. I don’t agree.

It’s unclear if he was injured at or after last year’s TDL but they also might’ve been able to receive a minor asset for him at that time. Sometimes it’s just best to move on.

Btw I’m not convinced that this Black Knight of Monty Python lore will go LTIR over a broken hand.
Or any extremity for that matter.

Reactions: The Real JT

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Re-signing Clutterbuck for that term was such a mistake, probably the biggest signing I've had issue with. While I didn't love Martin being re-upped for as long as he was at least he hasn't been put in a cast every season for the past three years. Ever since Clutterbuck played with his broken vertebrae or whatever it was I'd have been looking to move on from him. A real shame because he's a likable players but his body can't do it anymore.

Reactions: Mike C and MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Re-signing Clutterbuck for that term was such a mistake, probably the biggest signing I've had issue with. While I didn't love Martin being re-upped for as long as he was at least he hasn't been put in a cast every season for the past three years. Ever since Clutterbuck played with his broken vertebrae or whatever it was I'd have been looking to move on from him. A real shame because he's a likable players but his body can't do it anymore.
Was kinda hoping he’d make it to 1000 games which would have been such an accomplishment for a guy who plays like he does every single night.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

He was injured at the TDL. His current contract was signed that same day. That was the day the team announced he was having season-ending surgery. Lou took a leap of faith on Cal being healthy this year.

What I thought immediately, broken wrist.
Could be. Definitely one of his paws.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He was injured at the TDL. His current contract was signed that same day. That was the day the team announced he was having season-ending surgery. Lou took a leap of faith on Cal being healthy this year.

Could be. Definitely one of his paws.
He also had the skate injury where he lost feeling he wasn’t ever going to get back.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Was kinda hoping he’d make it to 1000 games which would have been such an accomplishment for a guy who plays like he does every single night.

I think he'll hit it, he's only 33 games away with another year on his contract. He's toughed it out this long so I'm sure he'll give it a go. It's just unfortunate that he probably won't play much more than that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think he'll hit it, he's only 33 games away with another year on his contract. He's toughed it out this long so I'm sure he'll give it a go. It's just unfortunate that he probably won't play much more than that.
How long will it take him to play 33 games? 2 years?

Cal and Martin have been holding those roster spots hostage for years.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And because of situations like this, once again we’re forced to call up Raty and then play him with Martin and Johnston.

Raty may be a good player one day but we’re not doing him any favors by playing him with 2 guys who won’t generate much and only play about 11 minutes a game.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

clutterbuck has been awful health wise for a while now. no longer a consistently healthy guy

He should've been traded when he had the chance. Again, if you could've gotten assets for the guy, do it. The isles biggest problem is that they refuse to do this whenever a player has a window to get traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad