Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
He was injured at the TDL. His current contract was signed that same day. That was the day the team announced he was having season-ending surgery. Lou took a leap of faith on Cal being healthy this year.

Could be. Definitely one of his paws.
It was also the day Lou telegraphed that Barry was out the door

When asked about extending Barry when talking about Cal and Parise was it?.....Lou said something to the effect of "Barry's under contract to coach next year". That spoke volumes to me

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I don’t see the Clutterbuck signing as bad at all. The guy was an alternate captian, who kills penalties, locker room guy and solid bottom six. I also don’t see how dealing him last year for a late round pick helps this team. Another question, who was/is pushing for his roster spot? If the top six were scoring Clutterbuck would be a non issue.

Maybe two years was too long but it’s not his salary is the one keeping the isles from signing free agents.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don’t see the Clutterbuck signing as bad at all. The guy was an alternate captian, who kills penalties, locker room guy and solid bottom six. I also don’t see how dealing him last year for a late round pick helps this team. Another question, who was/is pushing for his roster spot? If the top six were scoring Clutterbuck would be a non issue.

Maybe two years was too long but it’s not his salary is the one keeping the isles from signing free agents.
I just don't think it was logical to keep the 4th line for yet another season. Clutterbuck ain't exactly a great player also, and the idea of a 4th line has gradually changed each season. Health is what matters most, and we haven't seen that out of cal for a while now. His last great hurrah was that tampa series in 2021, much like a lot of other players here like Beau or even Martin.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

We all knew that his time was coming to an end as a regular, and that's why it's bad, because he's penciled in as one. The fourth line started to slow down and become less effective but Lamoriello brought them all back (and for a decent term too) instead of trying to replace them slowly. Integrating a prospect or a new free agent into that spot and re-configuring that line was what I would've like to see happen.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
And because of situations like this, once again we’re forced to call up Raty and then play him with Martin and Johnston.

Raty may be a good player one day but we’re not doing him any favors by playing him with 2 guys who won’t generate much and only play about 11 minutes a game.
You’re probably right about how they’ll use Raty and unfortunately it gives me Nino vibes.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
We all knew that his time was coming to an end as a regular, and that's why it's bad, because he's penciled in as one. The fourth line started to slow down and become less effective but Lamoriello brought them all back (and for a decent term too) instead of trying to replace them slowly. Integrating a prospect or a new free agent into that spot and re-configuring that line was what I would've like to see happen.
I think they don't like how slow Koivula was, hence why they ended up keeping the gang together. Thats just my theory. If that is true, then its horrible management as well.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

It would have been cheap and easy enough to replace Clutterbuck (and Matt Martin) from outside the organization. Re-signing Cal kept us from even trying to.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He was injured at the TDL. His current contract was signed that same day. That was the day the team announced he was having season-ending surgery. Lou took a leap of faith on Cal being healthy this year.
The Isles signed him knowing he was injured, that’s true. They also had a window before the injury to trade him for assets when the team was clearly out of the playoff race.

When people start lamenting the Yotes getting an extra third round pick from the Isles by placing Ladd on LTIR, that’s how you recoup those type of picks.

Reactions: Mike C and MJF

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I get everyone’s replies about my Clutterbuck post, but if the top six were scoring would we even be concerned about Cal? The fourth line (outside of when cal is out and Martin/Johnston are forced to play together) has been the least of their worries this yeah, and the PK which Clutterbuck and Cizikas are a major part of have been fine.

* wanted to add my Johnston/martin note

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I get everyone’s replies about my Clutterbuck post, but if the top six were scoring would we even be concerned about Cal? The fourth line has been the least of their worries this yeah, and the PK which Clutterbuck and Cizikas are a major part of have been fine.
no disagreement on that end, whenever cal is healthy he's a great penalty killer also. Problem is the body is breaking down.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The Isles signed him knowing he was injured, that’s true. They also had a window before the injury to trade him for assets when the team was clearly out of the playoff race.

When people start lamenting the Yotes getting an extra third round pick from the Isles by placing Ladd on LTIR, that’s how you recoup those type of picks.
Plus that acquired pick theoretically can be used in other deals if desired

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think they don't like how slow Koivula was, hence why they ended up keeping the gang together. Thats just my theory. If that is true, then its horrible management as well.

It's not really about any particular prospect to me, they could've gotten someone outside the organization. Heck, we had Panik just hanging out for a bit. I'm not saying Panik was definitely the answer but there were opportunities to try something new and now that time seems to have passed us by. Could Bailey have been bumped lower in the lineup? Could Parise play on the fourth line instead? Could a trade have been made to get younger?

It would have been cheap and easy enough to replace Clutterbuck (and Matt Martin) from outside the organization. Re-signing Cal kept us from even trying to.

I disliked the Martin one because I really think Johnston could provide similar production if he was given more time and was consistently in the lineup. Now there's Martin and Johnston who do pretty much the same thing, and neither of them do what Clutterbuck does.

I get everyone’s replies about my Clutterbuck post, but if the top six were scoring would we even be concerned about Cal? The fourth line (outside of when cal is out and Martin/Johnston are forced to play together) has been the least of their worries this yeah, and the PK which Clutterbuck and Cizikas are a major part of have been fine.

* wanted to add my Johnston/martin note

He's not a problem when he's playing and the top six is more concerning, but the length of those deals and age of the players, plus their health history, provides more hurdles to improving the top six as well. Those guys are locked in here, those are pieces that cannot be moved to make room anywhere else, they can't play anywhere else, and their value will only decrease.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Seeing Patches reinjure his Achilles drives home the point that signing aging players carries additional risk over and above expected age related deterioration of their play.

Sure, anyone can get injured but the risk increases with age, like Clutter.

Although I’ve come around to the benefits of signing Mayfield at the right price, that’s a concern even for a guy like him who’s managed to stay healthy.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
clutterbuck has been awful health wise for a while now. no longer a consistently healthy guy

He should've been traded when he had the chance. Again, if you could've gotten assets for the guy, do it. The isles biggest problem is that they refuse to do this whenever a player has a window to get traded
I can't like your post enough. Not only do these 2 year contracts nickel and dime us and do add up against the cap for players who are older and injury prone, but also limit roster spots.

My ideal 4th line is Parise, CC and Fasching.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

Around the league, our 4th line is the so called “Identity line “ which was and now is certainly true. The problem is , the line is older , slower and not as effective and that seems to be our MO throughout lineup.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
So what was the injury on Cal? A skate cut as first suspected? Or shoulder? Which would make sense with the indefinitely time frame... since he has had major injuries there in the past.

Either way, I still think his signing was perfectly fine at his age and cost. He is productive player. The greater issue is that the Isles need to have a younger player concurrently developing and challenging to take his spot during these two year. Moreover, the Isles need to make certain they concede that role to said younger player if they have earned it.

Reactions: gordie43

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

I think he could have gotten more. Good PKer. Very heavy player. Maybe teams were scared by the injury. I think a change in leadership would be a good thing. Any change at this point would be good.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Even though I said our season would be over if there wasn’t a deal pre Christmas , how much longer can Lou wait to shake things up ? I think when we are young we are too impulsive, as we age, logic and patience starts to develop , as we become old we tend to overthink and delay decisions. I guess that’s where the saying “you snooze, you lose” comes from.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Even though I said our season would be over if there wasn’t a deal pre Christmas , how much longer can Lou wait to shake things up ? I think when we are young we are too impulsive, as we age, logic and patience starts to develop , as we become old we tend to overthink and delay decisions. I guess that’s where the saying “you snooze, you lose” comes from.
If I recall correctly, you are an older fan? I ask because, I would definitely have expected a change already if this was the 80s, 90s, or even just a few years ago. But with the cap, it just seems teams are les likely to make trades. Even if it's "just for a shake up."

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
If I recall correctly, you are an older fan? I ask because, I would definitely have expected a change already if this was the 80s, 90s, or even just a few years ago. But with the cap, it just seems teams are les likely to make trades. Even if it's "just for a shake up."
Cap Friendly has the Isles projected trade deadline cap space at under 7 million. For those more informed, is that true? LTIR and I believe the closer we get to the TDL the more space Lou has to work with. Totally agree with your post.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I can't like your post enough. Not only do these 2 year contracts nickel and dime us and do add up against the cap for players who are older and injury prone, but also limit roster spots.

My ideal 4th line is Parise, CC and Fasching.
and when you also pay Martin and Johnston for extended periods of time, it makes little sense. you can get better grit and sandpaper players than those two.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's not really about any particular prospect to me, they could've gotten someone outside the organization. Heck, we had Panik just hanging out for a bit. I'm not saying Panik was definitely the answer but there were opportunities to try something new and now that time seems to have passed us by. Could Bailey have been bumped lower in the lineup? Could Parise play on the fourth line instead? Could a trade have been made to get younger?

I disliked the Martin one because I really think Johnston could provide similar production if he was given more time and was consistently in the lineup. Now there's Martin and Johnston who do pretty much the same thing, and neither of them do what Clutterbuck does.

He's not a problem when he's playing and the top six is more concerning, but the length of those deals and age of the players, plus their health history, provides more hurdles to improving the top six as well. Those guys are locked in here, those are pieces that cannot be moved to make room anywhere else, they can't play anywhere else, and their value will only decrease.
Lambert is a terrible line combinations guy.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
One more thing about Barzal.

Some of us expected him to be a superstar. He’s obviously not that. I’d say he’s a good player, no better than that for now. Unfortunately, he has not shown the capacity to make others around him better.

He’s overpaid now but with better linemates his contract might actually look decent in the future. (That comment is gonna get some pushback I suspect.)

It’s all moot. He’s ours for the foreseeable future so as fans let’s try not to bury the guy. Save the hate for the Rags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad