Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Chief Shuffleboard Officer?
I have great respect for how he brought us back to respectability around the league. He has been successful wherever he's been to one degree or another and his role in bringing Russian players over is legendary.

Make him President Emeritus or some such regal title. I just think it's time to bring in a new voice

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Pens beat Coyotes knocking us back to 9th. Pens 2 in hand play Canucks next. Buffalo making strides. 4 back 4 in hand
And here’s the reason fans were ok with the Boston SHO loss, where they should have won. Same for the game beforehand, but because Barzal is so amazing and always needs a winger, he’s immune from the isles not gaining those 2 valuable points that were on him to secure - he was in bonafide position to do so in both games.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think we'll tread water hovering near 8th for awhile. I like how you said last week that when we win expectations rise too high and when we lose, they sink too low. If a trade helps us for future and doesn't cost more than Beau, all well and good. I wouldn't go selling the farm for a chance at an 8th seed and I'd seriously contemplate bumping Lou to some type of respectful dignified title but bring in a younger GM more hip to today's NHL culture
Look around at all those teams in the playoff spots, they are loaded with younger, hipper, GMs. There’s one team with one of those … they haven’t won a playoff series since he took over.

Reactions: JKP and Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
And here’s the reason fans were ok with the Boston SHO loss, where they should have won. Same for the game beforehand, but because Barzal is so amazing and always needs a winger, he’s immune from the isles not gaining those 2 valuable points that were on him to secure - he was in bonafide position to do so in both games.
Enough blame to go around including Matt

Reactions: mm11

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Anybody else consider trading Nelson for a haul if the Isles are out of playoff contention come the deadline? Seems like that might be a nice reset. Get a 1st round pick a young, cost controlled bluechip prospect to go along with Raty, Holmstrom and the core of Dobson, Barzal and Sorokin. Think the AVs would be very interested if they don't get Horvat. Could get a 1st, 2nd and Newhook at least for Nelson with a fair amount of time left at a fair cap hit.
I would. But it would usher in a big overhaul of the squad and the price should be really high. Isles don't need to rebuild but a quick retool is the way forward, and trading Nelson might be our best bet at one. They'll be hovering around the final playoff spot this season, but in any case the summer should be start of that retool.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Back to your highest paid and allegedly best player stepping up to lead the team…
I don't begrudge him what he makes. If anything, blame the people paying him. I'm not a Barzal apologist but I try my best to be objective. I'm pretty big on "win as a team lose as a team"

Thanks to you though, my kid is now known as Capades Jr. Here he is practicing a Capades circle around the net

Keep up the good work. I like the humor!

Attachments

• 20230108_134014.jpg
    20230108_134014.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: mm11

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Does Lamoriello actually think this team could be a Boston or Carolina or Tampa Bay in a seven game series???

Even with say a Timo Meier?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Does Lamoriello actually think this team could be a Boston or Carolina or Tampa Bay in a seven game series???

Even with say a Timo Meier?
I think that was his plan all along. Build a team that can beat the Capitals and Bruins of 3 years ago when they were the top teams in our conference.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think that was his plan all along. Build a team that can beat the Capitals and Bruins of 3 years ago when they were the top teams in our conference.
3 years ago. Therein lies the problem.

Lou is a round peg, square hole kind of guy. What he knows and has done worked great with the Devils but his preferred style of play is now hard to win a Cup with.

I’ll stick to my guns on this even if we win the next four in a row. There are just too many teams ahead of us with younger, faster and more skilled players. One move at the TDL won’t change that.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Lou is a round peg, square hole kind of guy. What he knows and has done worked great with the Devils but his preferred style of play is now hard to win a Cup with.

I’ll stick to my guns on this even if we win the next four in a row. There are just too many teams ahead of us with younger, faster and more skilled players. One move at the TDL won’t change that.
23 more games to go before the trade deadline…

I don’t remember the Isles looking amazing or predicted to go deep for both of those conference finals.

Reactions: JKP and mm11

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

This In a nutshell

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
23 more games to go before the trade deadline…

I don’t remember the Isles looking amazing or predicted to go deep for both of those conference finals.
But the Caps and Bruins were the measuring stick of teams that played a heavy game with skill up front. We played a heavy game but without that many skilled players.

And then the league changed. Officiating clamped down on restraining penalties and that favors speed/skill. We still don’t have it.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
according to rosner, pelech has skated last 3 days, holmstrom back practicing (on 1st line with barzal and lee). lines and PP were juggled again at practice. handsome lane not one for standing still.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The next 11 games will be crucial to what/how Lou approaches the deadline -

4 games against conference rivals in the playoff race
5 games against (3 are conference teams) playing above .600 teams
2 games against bottom dwellers.

6-5 or 6-5-1 is the bare minimum.

If not, I can see Lou keeping 2023 1st and doing nothing at the deadline.

If they fall during this stretch, then I can see them potentially moving pieces like Varly and Parise.

I don't see them moving Nelson.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
But the Caps and Bruins were the measuring stick of teams that played a heavy game with skill up front. We played a heavy game but without that many skilled players.

And then the league changed. Officiating clamped down on restraining penalties and that favors speed/skill. We still don’t have it.
The Isles aren’t going to trade out of their situation. The league kinda changed somewhat overnight. The Isles need to either go all in LAK style as a deeper lower seeded playoff team or just ride it as is.

Selling the UFAs isn’t going to bring back some magic return. Varly maybe gets a 3rd, Parise a 5th, and Mayfield could net a protected 1st.

With minimal cap increase over the summer, it’s about cap transfer vs opening space. Fans waiting on another big change for the summer are kinda foolish, the Isles are already transitioning with Holmstrom, Raty, yada yada ‘in season’ due to the injuries.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

If they fall during this stretch, then I can see them potentially moving pieces like Varly and Parise.

what's good SI!

curious your thoughts on mayfield. i love the guy and would hope they find a way to keep him somehow/someway. agree on varly.....not sure i'd move parise unless he requests to go somewhere to chase a cup

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Honestly i think if we go 6-5 we are gonna find ourselves 4-6 points out. I think minimum is 7-3-1 to keep pace. Buffalo is playing great hockey, Penguins have a couple games in hand, Caps are finally healthy, and the rangers have been playing very good hockey and manage to avoid any injuries.

Reactions: The Real JT and MJF

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Isles aren’t going to trade out of their situation. The league kinda changed somewhat overnight. The Isles need to either go all in LAK style as a deeper lower seeded playoff team or just ride it as is.

Selling the UFAs isn’t going to bring back some magic return. Varly maybe gets a 3rd, Parise a 5th, and Mayfield could net a protected 1st.

With minimal cap increase over the summer, it’s about cap transfer vs opening space. Fans waiting on another big change for the summer are kinda foolish, the Isles are already transitioning with Holmstrom, Raty, yada yada ‘in season’ due to the injuries.
More likely than not Lou will trade no one.

I’d still like to comment on your perceived value of our potential trade pieces. I’ll grant you Mayfield should net a late first though no need to protect it since the acquiring team will not be lottery bound. The other two players would certainly net more than your estimate. Varly easily gets a 2nd round pick + and Parise a second or third round pick.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Honestly i think if we go 6-5 we are gonna find ourselves 4-6 points out. I think minimum is 7-3-1 to keep pace. Buffalo is playing great hockey, Penguins have a couple games in hand, Caps are finally healthy, and the rangers have been playing very good hockey and manage to avoid any injuries.
If we were in the west, this stretch would not be as crucial just because the competition is fierce.

I too really love what the Sabres have done - in the end I feel they will fall short bc of D and goaltending.

I agree. Even at 6-5 they will fall behind the race. They will still be in position for that final spot, but not a position that would make me advocate to make a move at the TDL.

Especially, when you consider it is difficult to move salaries in season. Bigger moves always more likely in the off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: WangMustGo

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
If we were in the west, this stretch would not be as crucial just because the competition is fierce.

I too really love what the Sabres have done - in the end I feel they will short bc of D and goaltending.

I agree. Even at 6-5 they will fall behind the race. They will still positioning themselves for that final spot, but not a position that would make me advocate to make a move at the TDL.

Especially, when you consider it is difficult to move salaries in season. Bigger moves always more likely in the off-season.

I think we will have around 6.5 mil against the cap come TDL. No way Lou doesn’t use it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
There’s no way to trade out of this. Too many similar type players with undesirable contracts. Most of these will have to expire or get to near the end of their terms before they can be moved.

With the Sabres only 4 points back the separation between the last wild card and the first team below the cut line has narrowed instead of widening. There is now pressure from below.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
More likely than not Lou will trade no one.

I’d still like to comment on your perceived value of our potential trade pieces. I’ll grant you Mayfield should net a late first though no need to protect it since the acquiring team will not be lottery bound. The other two players would certainly net more than your estimate. Varly easily gets a 2nd round pick + and Parise a second or third round pick.
Fleury netted a first (weaker draft), Manson got a 2nd, prospect (former 2nd), and salary retention.

Typically, teams trade around 6 1st rounders during the TDL - this year is a known premium for those picks and the lottery now allows for a team that finished 20th a legit shot at number 1.

So, maybe Parise nets a higher pick, but really who cares? If he doesn’t want to leave, then you get nothing. He obviously did not want to leave last year when it was clear the Isles were not making the playoffs.

If the Isles are 4 or 6 points behind in the WC, then Isles probably stay the course or trade to improve to make the playoffs vs dump for the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad