Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Which is exactly why the Islanders keep him. Those things are more valuable to this team than a third round pick.
You’re assuming we’re making the playoffs.

I’m rooting for the Isles but I’ll take the under on that bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRYHAVOC

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He's an alternate captain, popular teammate, strong leader, modest cap hit, and most importantly, the team plays noticeably better with him in the lineup. He's not going anywhere.
I agree with everything but the last part isn’t a certainty. With Lou at the helm, you’d be right on all accounts.

If Lou’s gone before the TDL (unlikely), all bets are off.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
They are very slim, but I dont think this team is a single player away from making a run. If they dont string together a long winning streak I think Lou should sell Mayfield/Varly/Parise and any other older soon to be UFAs. Clear some capspace, acquire draft capital, and get younger. This draft is very deep, a mid first round pick will have a good chance of being a good player.

This team desperately needs young, fast, skilled players that under cost controlled to step in.
What's up Wang! Hope the new year treats you kindly!

Your post is solid but boy I'd love to find a way to keep Mayfield!

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
What's up Wang! Hope the new year treats you kindly!

Your post is solid but boy I'd love to find a way to keep Mayfield!

You too brother!

Mayfield has been a good soldier for us, I think it depends on what direction this team goes. If we are out of the playoffs at the deadline say by 10 points I think it would be wise to move assets that are UFAs to be. Maybe we could turn it into another Hamonic esque trade.

If we go on a run and are easily in a playoff spot i think you have to resign Mayfield. Give him 4x4 and call it a day.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Don't disagree with much of your thoughts although I contend that Barry was dealt a crap hand last season and the players you mentioned aside from Barzal have not taken strides without Barry so maybe those guys are the problem

Sadly, the 2 key players, Barzal and Pelech, to quote the new woke phrase, "quiet quitting" on Barry the last 15-20 games sealed his fate
For sure when the perceived star is not allowed to play “his game” I don’t doubt there
Some form of sulking that quietly goes on. Lou seemed to expose the coach as the problem rather then his inability to improve the roster

Reactions: Mike C

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
9000 pages of Rumours and speculation only wish we could actually talk about a player for player trade.
The only player for player trade the Islander are going to get is something like Beauvillier for Gary Player. And we might need to add for that. It's not like we have anybody worth a lateral movement right now. We need to trade them before we realize they aren't going to reach their potential (ala Reinhart), but once that ship has sailed we are in sunk cost mode and just hope they get it together. You rarely see 'change of scenery' trades in the NHL. More often or not, you get abandoned players signing 'show me' contracts.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The only player for player trade the Islander are going to get is something like Beauvillier for Gary Player. And we might need to add for that. It's not like we have anybody worth a lateral movement right now. We need to trade them before we realize they aren't going to reach their potential (ala Reinhart), but once that ship has sailed we are in sunk cost mode and just hope they get it together. You rarely see 'change of scenery' trades in the NHL. More often or not, you get abandoned players signing 'show me' contracts.

Just want to add on this that often times contending teams are trading draft picks/prospects for players. This is the situation the Islanders have been in for 3/4 seasons.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Anybody else consider trading Nelson for a haul if the Isles are out of playoff contention come the deadline? Seems like that might be a nice reset. Get a 1st round pick a young, cost controlled bluechip prospect to go along with Raty, Holmstrom and the core of Dobson, Barzal and Sorokin. Think the AVs would be very interested if they don't get Horvat. Could get a 1st, 2nd and Newhook at least for Nelson with a fair amount of time left at a fair cap hit.

Reactions: The Real JT

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
9000 pages of Rumours and speculation only wish we could actually talk about a player for player trade.
Traded for the sake of trading is awesome, what’s the conversation for the Panthers?

…And they traded to ‘improve,’ have a younger GM (Isles fans want one sooo bad), sexy trade in the offseason in a sign and trade (another thing fans are craving), don’t have a 1st rounder until like 2027, and, well, most likely gonna be competing for the lotto that they can’t participate in.

Anybody else consider trading Nelson for a haul if the Isles are out of playoff contention come the deadline? Seems like that might be a nice reset. Get a 1st round pick a young, cost controlled bluechip prospect to go along with Raty, Holmstrom and the core of Dobson, Barzal and Sorokin. Think the AVs would be very interested if they don't get Horvat. Could get a 1st, 2nd and Newhook at least for Nelson with a fair amount of time left at a fair cap hit.
Doubtful the Isles are out of the playoffs at the deadline, doubtful Lou trades away every player fans want him to trade.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Traded for the sake of trading is awesome, what’s the conversation for the Panthers?

…And they traded to ‘improve,’ have a younger GM (Isles fans want one sooo bad), sexy trade in the offseason in a sign and trade (another thing fans are craving), don’t have a 1st rounder until like 2027, and, well, most likely gonna be competing for the lotto that they can’t participate in.

Doubtful the Isles are out of the playoffs at the deadline, doubtful Lou trades away every player fans want him to trade.
A lot of things you are in doubt about. Considering this is a scenario proposed, I wasn't asking the board's thoughts on the likelihood of the scenario occurring. I'm just asking the boards thoughts on what they would want to do if the scenario in question materializes.

As far as doubts are considered, if Pelech still isn't skating....my doubt is certainly diminished.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
A lot of things you are in doubt about. Considering this is a scenario proposed, I wasn't asking the board's thoughts on the likelihood of the scenario occurring. I'm just asking the boards thoughts on what they would want to do if the scenario in question materializes.

As far as doubts are considered, if Pelech still isn't skating....my doubt is certainly diminished.
Half the season remains and the Isles are currently in a playoff spot.

This ownership group is not going to be thrilled with b2b missing the playoffs in their new building. And Lou probably doesn’t get tossed either.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Half the season remains and the Isles are currently in a playoff spot.

This ownership group is not going to be thrilled with b2b missing the playoffs in their new building. And Lou probably doesn’t get tossed either.
Pens beat Coyotes knocking us back to 9th. Pens 2 in hand play Canucks next. Buffalo making strides. 4 back 4 in hand

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Pens beat Coyotes knocking us back to 9th. Pens 2 in hand play Canucks next. Buffalo making strides. 4 back 4 in hand
I think we still have a few weeks to make a run but that’s just the fan in me talking. It’s honestly hard for me to imagine they’ll do that. They’re already out of a playoff spot as of today and until Pelech returns I think it’s .500 hockey which won’t get it done.

Next year, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa will continue to get better. Expecting older quality teams to falter to counter this is wishful thinking.

If we don’t make a run real soon, I’d be a seller FWIW.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Pelech, Barzal and Sorokin aren’t being moved and Pulock has a NTC so the biggest chip we have is Nellie.

If the hypothetical return was along the lines of what you posted I’d be ok with it. Of course, that would necessitate the GM being someone other than LL.

• Haha
Reactions: LeapOnOver

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I think we still have a few weeks to make a run but that’s just the fan in me talking. It’s honestly hard for me to imagine they’ll do that. They’re already out of a playoff spot as of today and until Pelech returns I think it’s .500 hockey which won’t get it done.

Next year, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa will continue to get better. Expecting older quality teams to falter to counter this is wishful thinking.

If we don’t make a run real soon, I’d be a seller FWIW.
I think we'll tread water hovering near 8th for awhile. I like how you said last week that when we win expectations rise too high and when we lose, they sink too low. If a trade helps us for future and doesn't cost more than Beau, all well and good. I wouldn't go selling the farm for a chance at an 8th seed and I'd seriously contemplate bumping Lou to some type of respectful dignified title but bring in a younger GM more hip to today's NHL culture

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think we'll tread water hovering near 8th for awhile. I like how you said last week that when we win expectations rise too high and when we lose, they sink too low. If a trade helps us for future and doesn't cost more than Beau, all well and good. I wouldn't go selling the farm for a chance at an 8th seed and I'd seriously contemplate bumping Lou to some type of respectful dignified title but bring in a younger GM more hip to today's NHL culture
Chief Shuffleboard Officer?

Reactions: Mike C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad