Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
what's good SI!

curious your thoughts on mayfield. i love the guy and would hope they find a way to keep him somehow/someway. agree on varly.....not sure i'd move parise unless he requests to go somewhere to chase a cup

I like Mayfield - I think a contract of 4-5 years between 4 and 4.5 is most likely what he will sign for.
If he is not resigned, then I can see that impacting the team negatively next year (of course, that depends on how they replace him).

It will be very interesting to see what Lou would get offered for him at the TDL if Mayfield is in play. He is only owed 1.45 AAV on the final year of his contract and if Isles take 50%, Scotty contract would below the league minimum. Isles would definitely land a 2023 first and possibly a 2nd in 2024.

If the Isles are above 500 and are within the reach of a playoff position, then I don't think Scotty goes on the market, BUT if the Isles have a dreadful stretch before the all star game and continue to be a 500 team when they get back does LOU recognize - OK, we gave it another try with this group - time for some changes. Any big changes will need to be made in the offseason due to the cap, BUT Varlamov can be moved for draft capital, so can Parise (I can easily see him being a replacement for DeBrusk and that gives Zach a chance at a cup), and Mayfield for two prime assets come the draft.

How do they replace Mayfield, because they will want to be competitive right out of the gate...
sign a Luke Schenn to anchor a young bottom pairing with Bolduc, Salo, Aho, and Wotherspoon vying for 6 and 7 d man OR go for something totally radical and move out bad salaries like Bailey and/or Palmieri for someone who can contribute on D, like Erik Karlsson (with some retention of course).

Would you do 5 years at 4.5 aav for Mayfield OR 4 years at say 9 AAV for Karlsson.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think we will have around 6.5 mil against the cap come TDL. No way Lou doesn’t use it.
It all depends on what is available.

I doubt he gives up that 2023 pick, when that could be used as a prime piece to grab DeBrincat or Meier, who I believe will get moved in the off-season.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I like Mayfield - I think a contract of 4-5 years between 4 and 4.5 is most likely what he will sign for.
If he is not resigned, then I can see that impacting the team negatively next year (of course, that depends on how they replace him).

It will be very interesting to see what Lou would get offered for him at the TDL if Mayfield is in play. He is only owed 1.45 AAV on the final year of his contract and if Isles take 50%, Scotty contract would below the league minimum. Isles would definitely land a 2023 first and possibly a 2nd in 2024.

If the Isles are above 500 and are within the reach of a playoff position, then I don't think Scotty goes on the market, BUT if the Isles have a dreadful stretch before the all star game and continue to be a 500 team when they get back does LOU recognize - OK, we gave it another try with this group - time for some changes. Any big changes will need to be made in the offseason due to the cap, BUT Varlamov can be moved for draft capital, so can Parise (I can easily see him being a replacement for DeBrusk and that gives Zach a chance at a cup), and Mayfield for two prime assets come the draft.

How do they replace Mayfield, because they will want to be competitive right out of the gate...
sign a Luke Schenn to anchor a young bottom pairing with Bolduc, Salo, Aho, and Wotherspoon vying for 6 and 7 d man OR go for something totally radical and move out bad salaries like Bailey and/or Palmieri for someone who can contribute on D, like Erik Karlsson (with some retention of course).

Would you do 5 years at 4.5 aav for Mayfield OR 4 years at say 9 AAV for Karlsson.
I'm not good at analyzing cap stuff. Looking at the players, it would be nice to have a guy who can pile up some assists from the back line a la Karlsson. He seems rejuvenated after 2 down seasons. He's 2 years older than Mayfield. Seems like a tough call. Again, I defer to you and others on how the contracts would affect the overall scheme and balance of the rest of the team

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Karlsson would be a big time move, but he kills the cap and doesn’t help the forwards actually shoot the puck in the net. Transition is one problem (he’ll help there), the other is the forwards shooting in the net (he’s nudging that along, but not enough).

You want to make a move:

- trade Pulock to Vancouver, Horvat resigns and gets the 8th year with the Isles, Isles keep their 2023 first and Vancouver gets back a desperately needed defenseman that helps them now vs futures. You also get out from Pulock’s soon to be really bad contract bc he can’t keep up with the game and the premium for his offense is non-existent.

- resign Mayfield. He can play Top 4 mins. He’ll eventually fade out in years 5 and 6.

- backfill a 4-5 defenseman in the summer. With minimal cap space, the Klingberg and Shattenkirks are gonna be sweating $, quickly. There’s plenty of options for 10-14 minute guys that can hold their own for $3M and under.

- another Top 9 guy has to go, somehow, someway to let one of the ‘kids’ transition into a more permanent role.

- you can keep Wally bc his reup based on this season is peanuts over his ELC. He’s done nothing to earn anything more than that.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Karlsson would be a big time move, but he kills the cap and doesn’t help the forwards actually shoot the puck in the net. Transition is one problem (he’ll help there), the other is the forwards shooting in the net (he’s nudging that along, but not enough).

You want to make a move:

- trade Pulock to Vancouver, Horvat resigns and gets the 8th year with the Isles, Isles keep their 2023 first and Vancouver gets back a desperately needed defenseman that helps them now vs futures. You also get out from Pulock’s soon to be really bad contract bc he can’t keep up with the game and the premium for his offense is non-existent.

- resign Mayfield. He can play Top 4 mins. He’ll eventually fade out in years 5 and 6.

- backfill a 4-5 defenseman in the summer. With minimal cap space, the Klingberg and Shattenkirks are gonna be sweating $, quickly. There’s plenty of options for 10-14 minute guys that can hold their own for $3M and under.

- another Top 9 guy has to go, somehow, someway to let one of the ‘kids’ transition into a more permanent role.

- you can keep Wally bc his reup based on this season is peanuts over his ELC. He’s done nothing to earn anything more than that.

I do not like Karlsson. He adds offense but turns the puck over a lot and gets pushed around in his own end. His defensive Instincts are over rated also. Unless S.J. eats half of that contract because he should only be a $5.5 million player. I have dear friends who are die hard S.J. fans who hate him!!!!!

Reactions: bossy22

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I do not like Karlsson. He adds offense but turns the puck over a lot and gets pushed around in his own end. His defensive Instincts are over rated also. Unless S.J. eats half of that contract because he should only be a $5.5 million player. I have dear friends who are die hard S.J. fans who hate him!!!!!
Ghost?

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.

Uhm No. With all the Offense he brings, he is a lifetime Minus 81.... Even a Ghost can understand that. Plus he eats like 11 million in Cap space... You guys can disagree, but I don't want him unless S.J. Eats half of his deal...

SI

Feb 16, 2013

You want to make a move:

Pulock has a full NTC and will not waive it.
If they want Horvat, then just wait to the offseason and sign him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Isles are tied hands and feet until they can get the likes of Palmieri, Bailey and Beauvillier off the books. There simply isn't enough cap room to make a quick turnaround of this roster. Too many lengthy deals and too many underperforming players.
Idk. NYI shoudl be aiming to add during '24-'25 at which point they'll clear some salary, have some cheap bottom-sixers, and can either send off or buy out one contract (like Palmieri). I'm not really concerned about that. My bigger concern is adding young talent, especially up front.

NYI really need to get lucky, and have that forward be available for them at the draft near where they pick. IMO having a guy like Heidt potentially there when NYI picks is significantly better than any prospect who might have been available in 2022.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Isles are tied hands and feet until they can get the likes of Palmieri, Bailey and Beauvillier off the books. There simply isn't enough cap room to make a quick turnaround of this roster. Too many lengthy deals and too many underperforming players.
I believe they have a chance to move one or two this coming off-season.
It will take some creativity, but I doubt they do anything this TDL maybe a depth piece on D.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Uhm No. With all the Offense he brings, he is a lifetime Minus 81.... Even a Ghost can understand that. Plus he eats like 11 million in Cap space... You guys can disagree, but I don't want him unless S.J. Eats half of his deal...
He's a UFA. He can run a power play for sure. Agreed his defensive game could use some work.

Talking about Shayne Gostibehere here. AKA Ghost.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
6-5 or 6-5-1 is the bare minimum.

If not, I can see Lou keeping 2023 1st and doing nothing at the deadline.

I fear that I can't really see that.

I think we're damned to seeing that '23 1st and a couple of the more promising prospects being moved for a bigger piece.

I just don't think anything can happen in the next 10+ games to dissuade Lamoriello from "going for it", no matter how minimal the chances seem to be based on the results to date.

He's old, he believes in the guys he has here, he put a lot of eggs in the basket by switching Trotz with Lambert... and he's old.

I'm still moving forward with the belief that we'll be one of the active buyers at the deadline with the usual MO Lamoriell move (future's for a proven upgrade that may or may not be a homerun hit).

Lou's not living for the future here.

Reactions: Glory Days

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

I think we're damned to seeing that '23 1st and a couple of the more promising prospects being moved for a bigger piece.

I just don't think anything can happen in the next 10+ games to dissuade Lamoriello from "going for it", no matter how minimal the chances seem to be based on the results to date.

He's old, he believes in the guys he has here, he put a lot of eggs in the basket by switching Trotz with Lambert... and he's old.

I'm still moving forward with the belief that we'll be one of the active buyers at the deadline with the usual MO Lamoriell move (future's for a proven upgrade that may or may not be a homerun hit).

Just curious, does a younger GM tell the owners, hey, don’t worry about making money, I think we should rebuild, I have no idea whether it will work or not, but let’s go with the future. Not my money…

The thing of Lou on borrowed time and solely acting on that is kinda absurd. The owners want to be in the playoffs. It’s a lot easier to sell tickets when the team makes the playoffs. Fan fantasy of ‘only good enough when the team is labeled a contender’ just doesn’t ring the same for the owners.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

It’s crazy how long it has taken to get Beau off the roster. He has been bad for a year and a half now.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Lou has been living for the future IMO. When he traded first rounders it was for Pageau and Palmieri when we had no prospects pushing for their spots and Romanov, same thing. All signed and none were rentals. The best prospect he's traded was like Mason Jobst.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Just curious, does a younger GM tell the owners, hey, don’t worry about making money, I think we should rebuild, I have no idea whether it will work or not, but let’s go with the future. Not my money…

The thing of Lou on borrowed time and solely acting on that is kinda absurd. The owners want to be in the playoffs. It’s a lot easier to sell tickets when the team makes the playoffs. Fan fantasy of ‘only good enough when the team is labeled a contender’ just doesn’t ring the same for the owners.
it probably why the owners don't mind certain players not scoring goals to the board's satisfaction, provided they entertain the fans with an exciting, if not capadesy style of play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad