Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well, he won GM of the year back to back at ages 77 and 78. Or are we going with the Trotz thing that Lou didn’t really win it, Barry did?

There’s not even a 2 timer winner since 2010 beyond Lou, let alone someone doing it back to back.

Please take another look at my post :

1673428494362.png

In this case, reference to age is not about his entire body of work. It's about how that might effect his appraoch to the upcoming trade deadline. Nothing more.

Every sane person must assume that there could be motivations and a thought process for a person his age that are about running on a different clock and perhaps getting things done sooner rather than later. And thus, that choices are at least partially influenced by that.

Doesn't have to be that way, but it would be very logical if it is.

And it's simply a factor that isn't necessarily there for a GM of at least the same health aged, say, 45-65.

If anyone wants to believe that the *sense of time dwindling* doesn't play a role for an 80-year old human being in his/her decision making process, that's their perogative. It wouldn't be one born of experience though.

Regardless, I am expecting nothing less than our '23 first rounder and something else of value under 23 (maybe multiple pieces) being moved out to upgrade the current team for the stretch run.

It's simply what I've expected since the pre-season and continue to expect now.

Heck, it may even end up being the right move to put us over the top this time around?

Or whatever is done is more confluent with being realistic about what this current team's chances are in light of its results to date and the abilities of the competition.

But that would surprise me. Perhaps pleasantly.

Last edited:

Smith22

Jan 10, 2023
They are not replacing Lou.

Why? Because he hasn't made enough moves.
Every NHL fan should realize that the cap has deterred many GMs and teams from making deals.
The lack of movement does not fall solely on thew shoulders of GMs - it is the reality of the NHL until the cap shoots up or there are changes to the system.

Stability is important - for some, it may be overrated, but for me, I can appreciate patience and trust.

As a die-hard Islander fan for over 40 years, what I appreciate most from the Lou era is how he changed the culture of this team. The team is no longer a laughingstock- there is an identity here and a culture.

I can assure you Lou retires or dies as GM of this team.
Isn't this the last year in Lou's contract?

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Well, he's 80-years old. I believe that makes him the oldest GM in the 4 major sports, much less the NHL.

Realistically speaking, there's no such thing as leaving his age out of this.
Agree, but whether he’s 20 or 80 it’s about the advancement of the on ice product which hasn’t been there and it’s time the “In Lou we trust” fans and Lou himself realize
It’s time for a change

Smith22

Jan 10, 2023
Agree, but whether he’s 20 or 80 it’s about the advancement of the on ice product which hasn’t been there and it’s time the “In Lou we trust” fans and Lou himself realize
It’s time for a change
I bet you weren't saying that during the two playoff runs. BTW ..other teams are not giving away first line wingers.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Team sorely needs a guy that can snipe on the PP. Especially a left hander. That guy who plays weak 5x5 on buffalo can help. Can get him fairly cheap i would suspect. Won't name him bc it just won't happen anyway.

Reactions: Mike C

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well, maybe the prices are too high and doesn’t want to sacrifice picks (those things fans love) and is just seeing how the market breaks each year.

Last year, it was very clear his plan not to sign a 100yr old d-man in September. He’s also been challenged, just like other teams to maneuver a flat cap and having a ton of cap space on the books.
I think what you've said here points to Lou having painted us into a corner with the contracts the guys signed. The market doesn’t suit what we have in our shopping budget. So because of that Lou is kind of forced to love the team he assembled.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Top-4 defensemen on the open market cost big money and are typically older in both years and wear and tear. That is how you pay $4+ million in AAV, on long-term deals, for players like Gudbranson.

Quality young defensemen rarely hit the market and you have to give to get. The Isles gave up the 14th overall pick and, if that pick develops into Romanov, it is probably a solid draft pick. The Isles also got a pick back and took Isaiah George, who is also a solid prospect and having a nice season in juniors. They added two pieces.

You admit you don't have a reasonable or viable solution to fill the LHD2 spot that Romanov was brought in for, who is now logging even bigger minutes with Pelech out. This team would be a disaster without both Pelech and Romanov. Far worse than they are right now.

And Debrincat wasn't going to cost the 14th OA but went for the 7th OA, the 39th OA and a third in 2023. The Isles couldn't match that with just the first rounder, it probably would have taken two firsts. You would pay two firsts and the contract Debrincat will probably be given (probably in the $8-9 million AAV range)? I wouldn't.

That 14th OA would have landed you a player like JT Miller, who has already worn out his welcome in Vancouver and they are dying to unload him now before the ink has even dried on his extension. He is also a world-class dbag apparently.

So, while the Isles still need that top forward, they filled a hole at a moderate cost, added a very good prospect and they have their 2023 first to use if another top forward comes along, ideally for a better fit than Miller.

The Isles have all of the pieces but one. Lou needs to get that sniper, but they have an elite goalie in Sorokin, a solid platoon mate in Varly, the defense is very good, they have 4 very good NHL centers and a top prospect in Raty, and they have lots of players that fit for depth.

If Lou can't get that elite forward, then it will be a big miss. But I like the rest of the team and the younger players developing in the system. Having one hole to fill should be doable, but we will see.
One possibility on a defenseman is Seattle. Three solid LHD's in the lineup and it looks like they have three competent AHLers too.

I'm still of the opinion that Boeser would flourish next to Barzal. Boeser and Bear (in case Mayfield does not re-sign) or a 2023 2nd for Beau and Salo? Assumes Vancouver wants out of the contract. If there is one thing Boeser knows how to do, it's get to open spaces and shoot.

Smith22

Jan 10, 2023
I think what you've said here points to Lou having painted us into a corner with the contracts the guys signed. The market doesn’t suit what we have in our shopping budget. So because of that Lou is kind of forced to love the team he assembled.
They would have signed elsewhere. If you were GM you would be icing an AHL team.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I bet you weren't saying that during the two playoff runs. BTW ..other teams are not giving away first line wingers.
Cup runs are sufficiently in rear view. Here's a thought. If Barzal and Cizikas clicked so well, why in the HELL is handsome new voice Lane not keeping them together. Cizikas is wasted on 4th line and as was said, Holmstrom is not the answer. At some point action talks and bullshit walks!

Now that you’ve blustered why don’t you address what I said?
Blustered....like the vocab👍👍

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They would have signed elsewhere. If you were GM you would be icing an AHL team.
I agree with you. The problem is if you keep overpaying it eventually catches up to you.

@PKCronin said it. You can afford to overpay one guy, maybe two. We have 6 forwards who Lou either paid $1m too much or gave 1 year too many to. That’s a problem.

Smith22

Jan 10, 2023
Cup runs are sufficiently in rear view. Here's a thought. If Barzal and Cizikas clicked so well, why in the HELL is handsome new voice Lane not keeping them together. Cizikas is wasted on 4th line and as was said, Holmstrom is not the answer. At some point action talks and bullshit walks!

I have no idea. He is the best dressed coach in hockey though! 😂

I agree with you. The problem is if you keep overpaying it eventually catches up to you.

Yes and especially these days.

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
randy moeller is the color commentator for some team and he said they gave him the "handsome lane" moniker when they played together at quebec.

conversely, i'm wearing my NYI sweatshirt literally from 30 years ago!

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Blustered....like the vocab👍👍
Agree Mike. Why is cz playing 4th line.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I want one of two things to happen with the first one being my overwhelming preference.

1. Go on a sustained run, remain injury free and climb the standings so that we are more than a fringe playoff team. Get solid contributions from some of the laggards including Wally and Beau. With those things in place, go ahead and trade next year’s first round pick and other assets for what is hopefully the final piece.

2. Fall far enough out of the playoff race so that Lou hast to rethink his perspective and decide to hold on to next year’s picks as well as potentially sell off assets for the right price.

I fear we may end up in the middle ground, and Lou pulls the trigger on a deal or deals that might set this franchise back for possibly the next five years. I’ll be watching in any case. :popcorn:

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I want one of two things to happen with the first one being my overwhelming preference.

1. Go on a sustained run, remain injury free and climb the standings so that we are more than a fringe playoff team. Get solid contributions from some of the laggards including Wally and Beau. With those things in place, go ahead and trade next year’s first round pick and other assets for what is hopefully the final piece.

2. Fall far enough out of the playoff race so that Lou hast to rethink his perspective and decide to hold on to next year’s picks as well as potentially sell off assets for the right price.

I fear we may end up in the middle ground, and Lou pulls the trigger on a deal or deals that might set this franchise back for possibly the next five years. I’ll be watching in any case. :popcorn:
Pertaining to item #1 unfortunately I feel many here believe we are only one piece from contention, I don't see it that way, we need several pieces . The 2 conference final appearances have many thinking we'll be back.
However those teams don't exist any longer there have been major departures since then and the remaining players are older with additional miles on them. We have seen many players injured this year something that wasn't much of a factor in the playoff runs. I recall Adam Pelech returning just in time leading a playoff charge and the league then shortening the season we got in but it was close. I think that's right.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Here’s a trade proposal that is sure to take some heat. They all do.

Isles swap Bailey for Mantha
Bailey with 2 years left, $5M yearly cap hit and $3.5M salary/year.
Mantha with 2 years left at $5.5M/year cap hit and $6.5M/year salary.

Isles need speed and scoring and Mantha has been in the Caps’ doghouse. Even with Bailey’s lesser salary and cap hit, I’d think the Isles add something but probably not much. With all that being said, a trade within the division is unlikely.

Smith22

Jan 10, 2023
Look in the mirror

We don't insult each other personally here.
I have been reading this board for years and you are lying. As for me I don't take orders from you and I am not a member of the hypersensitive part of America.

Yes, the owner should say exactly what you guys want to reassure you. 😂 Because not doing so means they are not watching their massive investment. Common sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad