Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I know this won't be a popular opinion, and I don't think he had a strong game last night, but I can see Boeser having a similar impact on Barzal's wing that Eberle did.

That contract is pretty bloated however and I'd be interested in Boeser as a Bailey/Beauvillier upgrade, not necessarily the big ticket winger that this franchise has needed for over a decade. Boeser would be an offseason move at this point.

If a sweetened lateral move could be made, Boeser would be a very logical acquisition for Barzal's wing.

Reactions: seafoam

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I know this won't be a popular opinion, and I don't think he had a strong game last night, but I can see Boeser having a similar impact on Barzal's wing that Eberle did.

That contract is pretty bloated however and I'd be interested in Boeser as a Bailey/Beauvillier upgrade, not necessarily the big ticket winger that this franchise has needed for over a decade. Boeser would be an offseason move at this point.
I think Van would do that deal (Beau for Boeser) straight up, but you cannot afford to lose Beauviller's speed.

They say no to Bailey.

I do think a Wahlstrom for Boeser deal could work, but Boeser 6.65 versus Wahlstrom at what 2.5 next season? That is a huge variance in the cap. I'd rather keep the cheaper Wahlstrom and the free cap space to do something else.

Palmieri for Boeser, but I doubt Kyle agrees to move to Vancouver and Palmieri does not fit Rutherford’s call for players under 30 to fit with their core

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I would not like Boeser on this team unless it is an even swap of cap. Doesn't this team have enough middle six players? They likely can find space for one more star IF they moved some space out. I would hate to not have that opportunity because of middling players.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think Isles need to be in on
Meier
Horvat
Kane
And possibly Tarasenko.

With the injury to Tarasenko it will mean teams won’t see where he is at until first week of February at the earliest. Most likely it will cost a 1st.

Horvat and Kane will cost a 1st plus. IMO, Kane is a Ranger and Horvat looks likely to be an Avalanche.

Meier might be the prime ticket here -
The Fiala and DeBrincat deals are a good comparison.

Ideally, 2023 1st and Wahlstrom and maybe 2024 pick would get it done.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Looking at the Debrincat trade as a baseline...
7 OA pick in 2022, a 2nd, and a 3rd...

I think starting price is '23 1st, '24 2nd, + (?)

Do the Isles need to have Raty in the package? Is that enough?

Or Can the Isles entice the Sharks on Wahlstrom
'23 1st, Wahlstrom, and '24 2nd enough?
My guess is 2023 1st, 2024 2nd and Beau

2023 1st, 2024 3rd and Wahlstrom

One that saves space 2023 1st, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd and Bailey

Reactions: SI

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I would not like Boeser on this team unless it is an even swap of cap. Doesn't this team have enough middle six players? They likely can find space for one more star IF they moved some space out. I would hate to not have that opportunity because of middling players.
I’d do Beauvillier for Boeser if VAN threw in a sweetener because of the difference in cap.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am not a big fan of Boeser, and would prefer to retain Beau over Bailey for team speed (at least until it improves overall), so if a trade was completed for Boeser I would really try to push Bailey plus a second rounder and/or any prospect not among the top names like Raty, Dufour, etc.

I realize that on the surface in terms of age and "talent" it might seem like enough, but I think it is close considering Boeser has that extra year on his deal and over $10 million in real money vs Bailey.

The question is, are they so dissatisfied with Boeser and does the $10 million difference in real money mean they would be willing to settle for Bailey and a solid pick and/or prospect?

I am not sure but, if they believe they have any shot of extending Horvat, clearing out the extra money and year from Boeser's contract would presumably be very helpful. I guess it would also help if Boeser falls into the pro-JT Miller and anti-Horvat camp. One less friend and ally for Miller, lol.

Of course it would also help the Isles with the addition of a better, albeit still flawed, goal scorer over Bailey, an assist guy who seems to be in decline.

That said, young and more dynamic players like Meier would still be the preferred acquisition.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
My guess is 2023 1st, 2024 2nd and Beau

2023 1st, 2024 3rd and Wahlstrom

One that saves space 2023 1st, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd and Bailey
The Sharks would prefer Wahlstrom over Beau - they have controlled years with Wahlstrom. Beau is a UFA after this season.

I do wonder if a ‘23 1st, which could be late teens early 20’s, Wahlstrom, and ‘24 2nd rounder could be the deal.

The last suggestion is not one the Isles can afford to do or have to do.

I explored some Bailey moves that could happen in the off-season. The move I would push is trading Bailey to Chicago for Mrazek or for Blackwell or for Dickinson.

Bailey is owed 3.5 m with 5m cap hit and can still play hockey. They may even get a decent return at TDL in 2024.

Mrazek is owed 4.4m with 3.8 cap hit and he is useless. The buyout for Mrazek is actually pretty decent - .866 year 1 and 1.4 year 2.

The preferable deal would be for Colin Blackwell at 1.2 aav. The Hawks take on the bigger cap hit and the better player. Chicago does have to get to the floor - they only 32 m committed next season.

Then you have Dickinson at 2.65 aav, who could be good cover for the ailing Clutterbuck and the aging Martin. Dickinson is actually owed 3.25 in cash next season.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
On the main board it states Leaf's looking for a scorer and D-man not sure what the contract status is on the following guys but I don't see a cup in the near future. Someone suggested selling high on Pulock , knowing the heat the Leaf's have taken with their dreadful playoff performances the return could be substantial. Varlamov was also mentioned I know he's been a good soldier but if he opened to the idea of a cup run he could also return a haul to a team in need. this could very well expedite a much needed reset and we should be able to pick up a replacement for Pulock , yes he's a right D and that will play to our favor however he's not the game changing kind of RD. Steady yes but still replaceable.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
On the main board it states Leaf's looking for a scorer and D-man not sure what the contract status is on the following guys but I don't see a cup in the near future. Someone suggested selling high on Pulock , knowing the heat the Leaf's have taken with their dreadful playoff performances the return could be substantial. Varlamov was also mentioned I know he's been a good soldier but if he opened to the idea of a cup run he could also return a haul to a team in need. this could very well expedite a much needed reset and we should be able to pick up a replacement for Pulock , yes he's a right D and that will play to our favor however he's not the game changing kind of RD. Steady yes but still replaceable.
Bailey and Aho. make it so.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
and as an extra added benefit, it open the door to keeping Scotty May. love that guy!!

Reactions: NC 1972

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I’m not a fan of potentially helping Tavares and the leafs win a cup.

Reactions: Big L

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Ah, the ol' "let's sell cuz we're not winning the cup anyway" post...

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Ah, the ol' "let's sell cuz we're not winning the cup anyway" post...
I’m not sure he said sell cuz we’re not winning the cup but for those who see this group
As a real contender are in for a long wait. Lou just doesn’t have enough urgency , I think he missed the boat this season again by not making a hockey trade before Christmas to change the room a touch. A reset is needed cause this group has lost a lot of the jam they once had after Tavares left and they’ve gotten older not better

Reactions: Mike C

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I’d be ok with the idea of dealing Pulock
He looks like a different player, not in a good way
His contract will not age well

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I’m not sure he said sell cuz we’re not winning the cup but for those who see this group
As a real contender are in for a long wait. Lou just doesn’t have enough urgency , I think he missed the boat this season again by not making a hockey trade before Christmas to change the room a touch. A reset is needed cause this group has lost a lot of the jam they once had after Tavares left and they’ve gotten older not better
Wasn't that the excuse, er I mean rational for firing Barry?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Pulock has a full NTC. Think he like LI (otherwise he probably wouldn't have committed here). I bet he has a personal life set up on LI as well.

Don't think he'd waive.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Can you point to any hockey trades made before Xmas by any GM this season?

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Can you point to any hockey trades made before Xmas by any GM this season?

This is true. It does not seem like much of anything was done anywhere.... It does take Two GM's to want to make a deal...
I think most Fans are boiling over because it's been years since we have made any significant acquisition where we need it most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad