Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm surprised him and Toews didn't request a trade in the summer when they knew the direction the organization was going in. They both have a few years left in them. They both would be useful to many clubs out there.

You can tell they are both half-assing it; grossly apparent.
Agent probably told them to hold out for half a season, get the lay of the land on what teams are competitive, be ready to hotel it from Feb to June. Also, their cap hits are issues for 85% of the league in September/October, less so in Jan/Feb.

The team wants to move on from these guys, they are just doing it very slyly. The only reason they haven’t moved faster on it is because they are only costing them $2.9M each vs. their cap hit of $10.5M. CHI got clobbered in the settlement and they are looking to offset costs.

Reactions: PK Cronin

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So Kane is a better Josh bailey?
You better believe it . . .

1670325754528.png

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm surprised him and Toews didn't request a trade in the summer when they knew the direction the organization was going in. They both have a few years left in them. They both would be useful to many clubs out there.

You can tell they are both half-assing it; grossly apparent.

I think their cap hits made that difficult and now they'll be able to pick a contender to go to if they want.

Toews might be useful, but he's making $10.5M and is at best a 50 point player right now.

Reactions: Big L

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
“Kane and his agent, Pat Brisson, hold the keys to any in-season trade via a full no-movement clause. Kane and Brisson can pick their destination, just like Brisson did with Claude Giroux a year ago under similar circumstances. Kane would not want to go to a bubble team.”

From the Athletic.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
“Kane and his agent, Pat Brisson, hold the keys to any in-season trade via a full no-movement clause. Kane and Brisson can pick their destination, just like Brisson did with Claude Giroux a year ago under similar circumstances. Kane would not want to go to a bubble team.”

From the Athletic.
Worked out great for Giroux last year, he got an extra week of playing time. Ooops.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I don’t know about you guys but I 1000% would want Kane on this team. Pretty clear he doesn’t have the drive right now playing on a hawks team that has no chance of making the playoffs. This guys a winner and him and Barzal would be lethal together. At 34 still think he has a few more big seasons in him. It’s pretty apparent isles need a top 6 winger and this is the best available by far. Getting him here and signed to extension would be a huge life for the franchise and make us immediate contenders.

To isles: Kane (4 year extension at 7.5mill)
To Hawks: 2024 first, 2023 2nd, Dufour, Salo, Bailey (might need to add ‘23 first to get them to take him)
I would assume that’s enough to get it done. Would be willing to add ‘23 first

Lee-Barzal-Kane
Beauvillier-Nelson-Wahlstrom
Parise-Pageau-palmeri
4th line

PP1

Lee

Barzal Nelson Kane

Dobson

Makes our first unit DEADLY as well.

Obviously we never get anybody so won’t get my hopes up but if that’s an option lou should be all over that.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
I don’t know about you guys but I 1000% would want Kane on this team. Pretty clear he doesn’t have the drive right now playing on a hawks team that has no chance of making the playoffs. This guys a winner and him and Barzal would be lethal together. At 34 still think he has a few more big seasons in him. It’s pretty apparent isles need a top 6 winger and this is the best available by far. Getting him here and signed to extension would be a huge life for the franchise and make us immediate contenders.

To Hawks: 2024 first, 2023 2nd, Dufour, Salo, Bailey (might need to add ‘23 first to get them to take him)

Lee-Barzal-Kane
Parise-Pageau-palmeri
4th line

PP1

Lee

Barzal Nelson Kane

Dobson

Obviously we never get anybody so won’t get my hopes up but if that’s an option lou should be all over that.
A 34 yr old Kane and add a 4 year extension???

Reactions: Confusius

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Kane looks like he's going through the motions. Put him on a contender, and watch his play take off. He still has a window of 3-4 years of 70+ pts IMO.

Bottom line, this team needs additional skill in the most desperate way.

He’s excellent on the PP as well. I think there could be a fit with him. He needs a guy like Barzal now IMO to do most of the skating. I wonder if he could play on the LH side. Kane - Barzal - Wally has real potential. I believe Kane is a left handed shot playing rw.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Lee-Barzal-Kane
Parise-Pageau-palmeri
4th line

PP1

Lee

Barzal Nelson Kane

Dobson

4 year extension? No
2024 first, 2023 2nd, Dufour, and Salo? No

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
A 34 yr old Kane and add a 4 year extension???
and $7.5 million to boot...

Hockey is becoming a young man's game. As much as Kane would improve the team, you really don't want to sign players in their mid 30s to those kinds of deals. 2 years max.

A full NMC is bringing the price down a fair bit. Perhaps he only wants to go to one team so it's either what that team is offering or no deal. At $10.5 million not a lot of teams who are true contenders have the space.

Reactions: Big L

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Lee-Barzal-Kane
Parise-Pageau-palmeri
4th line

PP1

Lee

Barzal Nelson Kane

Dobson

IMO, 2023 1st and Bailey would have to be part of the deal (you cannot resign Kane without Bailey going out the door); it may just be enough to park some of Bailey's cap hit and then he goes to a third team. 1 year at 3m for Bailey might be enticing for a contending team.

I think 2023 1st, 2024 2nd, Raty, and Bailey for Kane and 2024 4th should make it work. Hawks then Flip Bailey for another mid-round pick and retain some of the Cap hit.

I like your contract for Kane and your lines.

Reactions: Uncle Lou

SI

Feb 16, 2013
4 year extension? No
2024 first, 2023 2nd, Dufour, and Salo? No
You have to look at also what Kane will be pushing for in terms of milestones (174 points away from Modano) and the jerseys he sells.
You eat the 4th year for jersey sales, milestone nights, and to bring that cap down into the 7's.

Reactions: Uncle Lou

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Hockey is becoming a young man's game. As much as Kane would improve the team, you really don't want to sign players in their mid 30s to those kinds of deals. 2 years max.

A full NMC is bringing the price down a fair bit. Perhaps he only wants to go to one team so it's either what that team is offering or no deal. At $10.5 million not a lot of teams who are true contenders have the space.
Agree on your point of young man’s game. However, if he resigns 2-4 years, it’s fine. In 2024, Bailey, Beau, Martin, Clutter are all ‘gone’ as UFAs. Same with Parise. The roster will be turning over…

The key here is to not give away whatever assets may contribute in the future. However, Kane for the Isles would be the biggest ‘named’ addition in 30 years for this team. The focus is to win now.

You have to look at also what Kane will be pushing for in terms of milestones (174 points away from Modano) and the jerseys he sells.
You eat the 4th year for jersey sales, milestone nights, and to bring that cap down into the 7's.
Kane continues to advance this team from the doldrums. Keeps Isles relevant. Brings some name brand recognition.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island

Even at that cap hit, 3 years would be better but 4 isnt crazy. Remember by the 3rd year of that deal, the cap is projected to be $90mil or more

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Is Kane the sniper/finisher the Isles desperately need?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
can't even think kane comes to the island but our PP would be pretty dangerous eh? Dobson having Kane and #13 slinging the puck around could open up some goals we will need down the stretch.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Is Kane the sniper/finisher the Isles desperately need?
I'm going to be in the minority and say no, Meier is the better fit if you are looking for someone to play with Barzal. Kane and Barzal are very similar players, they are both carriers of the puck, I don't see them working well together on the same line as they bring the same element. That being said Kane can score goals and is a much better finisher then Barzal but he is still far and away a playmaker.

1670364460871.png

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
I'm going to be in the minority and say no, Meier is the better fit if you are looking for someone to play with Barzal. Kane and Barzal are very similar players, they are both carriers of the puck, I don't see them working well together on the same line as they bring the same element. That being said Kane can score goals and is a much better finisher then Barzal but he is still far and away a playmaker.

View attachment 617788
You put the point I was trying to make so eloquently in to words. Thank you. Agree 1000%.

Reactions: xECK29x

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
I dont think we are getting Kane (I just get a feeling he wouldn't come to Isles anyway he has too much of a choice) but also dont think we are getting TImo neither. I think sharks try to keep TImo at all costs also. If blues are out they will probably be shopping Tarasenko.

I would love any of them thought they would all help the team...if we needed a center I'd say ROR instead of Toews but we don't need a center. So any of those would improve the team lets see what happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad