Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If Isles is going to give up more goals each game with Pelech gone for a considerable time and they want to stay in the playoff race, they may need to make a trade to acquire a proven offensively gifted player to improve their scoring, especially on PP. They may have to act sooner than later before another playoff-bound team in the East beat them to acquire a certain player. It is a tough time to trade players during the holiday season but needs to do this in the New year asap if they slid far in the standing.

Last edited:
Reactions: cj2112

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Meier or Kane would be awesome, I don't see either happening though. I think we'll get Horvat and be happy with it.
I would prefer Horvat over Kane. My targets in order would be:

Meier
Tarasenko
Horvat
Boeser
Kane

Only reason I have Boeser over Kane is because I’m not convinced Kane will sign here

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If they get the likes of Kane or Tarasenko and proceed to sign them to lengthy deals, then this team will indeed become like a retirement home in years to come. There's already Lee at 32, Nelson 31, Cizikas 31, Bailey 33, Pageau 30, Martin 33 and Clutterbuck 34 with term beyond this season. I know it's easy to get rid of Martin and that both Bailey and Clutterbuck's deals will expire in 24, but they won't magically disappear. I also believe Lou will go to great lengths to re-sign both Varlamov and Mayfield, who at 34 and 31 are looking at multiyear deals as well.

None of the players above will be getting any better in subsequent years - they'll all start regressing on lucrative multiyear deals. Ideally, you'd want to move those players out in the next couple of years, not add more players their age (or older).

If they're looking to add, then go for someone who's best years will be as an Islander, not someone who's out to make one last buck in the twilight years of his career. If they think Kane wants to come here, play with Barzal and win - offer him two years as a UFA, because that is the current window the Islanders have - at most. Tarasenko the same.

Meier and Horvat fit the bill nicely and have their best years ahead. I'd much rather go for one of them.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
One guy is in his walk year, the other was not. Different scenarios.
Let's roll back to our original discussion.

Before Miller's extension - the Canucks were dangling him because he had 1 year left ('22-23 season) @ 5.25; he was 29 years old and was tearing it up (ultimately scoring 99 points last year and playing C). The Canucks could not get a package they liked and so elected to offer Miller the extension instead entering the season with both Horvat and Miller as upcoming UFAs.

The Horvat situation - he is UFA, is 28 years old, and is also tearing it up.
MY stance is that Horvat will not get the package they are looking for, which is a blue-chip prospect on D or at C and draft picks.

If they could not get a package like that for Miller, who still had term, what makes you think they will get that for Horvat on what could be a rental?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Pa
Let's roll back to our original discussion.

Before Miller's extension - the Canucks were dangling him because he had 1 year left ('22-23 season) @ 5.25; he was 29 years old and was tearing it up (ultimately scoring 99 points last year and playing C). The Canucks could not get a package they liked and so elected to offer Miller the extension instead entering the season with both Horvat and Miller as upcoming UFAs.

The Horvat situation - he is UFA, is 28 years old, and is also tearing it up.
MY stance is that Horvat will not get the package they are looking for, which is a blue-chip prospect on D or at C and draft picks.

If they could not get a package like that for Miller, who still had term, what makes you think they will get that for Horvat on what could be a rental?
Part of the issue with Miller was trading out salary to accommodate for his new deal that teams needed to do, that depressed the value.

For a UFA like Horvat, cap is 60-70% burned, no future obligation to accommodate a roster/cap spot for his next deal, and may be minimal ‘cap swap’ to offset the trade. Essentially, he’s easier to trade AND get value back because you also have owners/GMs willing to spend on Feb while looking at May and June revenue projections.

I do think if a bunch of these UFAs do not resign or their teams stay competitive, the asking price might be depressed since the 2023 draft is seen as a valuable one. You have Tank, O’Reilley, Kane, Toews, Horvat, Larkin as identified as UFAs and most likely on non-playoff teams come trade deadline time. That’s a bit unusual.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
if

that's the case, he'll fit right in!!

hope your doing good wanger!....just wrapped my last christmas present here!.....not even gonna calculate how much i overshot the budget by....tis the season!!

DP part 2! Maybe we could sign him to a 15 year contract extension too!

You to brother! Have barely even started my shopping. Whoops

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
DP part 2! Maybe we could sign him to a 15 year contract extension too!

You to brother! Have barely even started my shopping. Whoops
hell, sign him and when he's out forever, make him GM

i'm hitting Carolina coast on the 18th for 8 days so my time was cut short a week. couldn't plan around hockey schedule, had to navigate around my wife's vacation week

i'll be missing 3 games. my son and I have the notion to DVR all 3, put our goal scorers in advance for the contest, stay off the board, not watch any sports highlights so we can hopefully not know any results then watch the games when we get back so we can catch up

if nothing else, we are dedicated isles nuts win or lose!....emphasis on the NUTS!

Reactions: WangMustGo

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
999,999 pages of what ifs , we should target, if we get, would prefer…..
I’d be happy with 1 trade, just 1 trade that took a player away from this roster and added a new player. Just 1

Reactions: BelovedIsles

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Seems our Hot Start has been wasted.... Too many passengers in our top 6 forwards and when the "D' starts to go cold on the scoring we will sink.... It's not like our G.M. does not know this, but it's maddening that he does nothing about it!

Reactions: Mike C

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Seems our Hot Start has been wasted.... Too many passengers in our top 6 forwards and when the "D' starts to go cold on the scoring we will sink.... It's not like our G.M. does not know this, but it's maddening that he does nothing about it!
Our GM brought the same team back this year. The same streaky forwards. Why would anyone expect anything more than what we’ve seen?

Just get in the playoffs. Lou doesnt care if we go in as an. 8 seed.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I’m SICK is BAILEY with Barzy

I want team to fail at this point to blow out some of these dead weights to finally get an offensive winger on L1
Wally sure but BAILEY never ever even in PRIME with F u king Tavares scored 20 EVER.

I’m sick to my core with this trash.

Lose now. Dump Beau JG Varly for picks.
Bury Bailey in AHL next year

Bring in a winger for L1 PP1

BTW way JG , tad overpaid but he’s only one with Value besides Varly at deadline that we’d trade.
Mayfield yes but think they want a resign but maybe not with Bolduc coming.

Bails Beau Palm are killing this team
I'd keep Pageau. He's a winning type player

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Not necessarily. If it is a deal that brings a player back with term it needs to be done anyway. This year gives players time to gel for next year.
Fair point. Guess it depends on who it is and what the price is. If Pelech is out long term, perhaps Lou becomes a seller at deadline because i suspect we will be on outside looking in .Maybe he can shed salary with who other team value as assets in that case and position differently for off season.

Without Pelech, I see no reason to trade future for now. If it's a trade that helps us in future, perhaps.

With Pelech I see us as bubble team at best. Without him,my hope dims significantly

999,999 pages of what ifs , we should target, if we get, would prefer…..
I’d be happy with 1 trade, just 1 trade that took a player away from this roster and added a new player. Just 1
C'mon now, Barry out Romanov in wasn't enough for you! Sheesh!!

Reactions: TheWhiteWhale30

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Fair point. Guess it depends on who it is and what the price is. If Pelech is out long term, perhaps Lou becomes a seller at deadline because i suspect we will be on outside looking in .Maybe he can shed salary with who other team value as assets in that case and position differently for off season.

Without Pelech, I see no reason to trade future for now. If it's a trade that helps us in future, perhaps.

With Pelech I see us as bubble team at best. Without him,my hope dims significantly

C'mon now, Barry out Romanov in wasn't enough for you! Sheesh!!
Yeah there are a few guys who need to be moved. Bailey even if it costs giving up a pick. Can’t have him on this team next year at $5M. Mayfield should be moved as well if his asking price is too high. Would gladly take half of what we get back for Mayfield and flip it with Bailey. Beauvillier is another one that should be moved and hope he has some value at all.

Islanders have roughly 10M in cap for next year with Wally, Mayfield, Varly and Parise out of contracts. Wahlstrom will get 2-3M Varly 2-3M and Parise is 1M if he comes back. That leaves about 3-4M. The team needs to move Bailey and Beauvillier wether at the deadline if they are out, or during the summer if the team makes a run. Let’s hope Räty or Holmstrom are ready to take Baileys spot and Bolduc or Salo can take on Mayfields spot. If all that happens this team will be in good shape to bring in a wing and compete.

Reactions: Mike C
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad