Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Yeah there are a few guys who need to be moved. Bailey even if it costs giving up a pick. Can’t have him on this team next year at $5M. Mayfield should be moved as well if his asking price is too high. Would gladly take half of what we get back for Mayfield and flip it with Bailey. Beauvillier is another one that should be moved and hope he has some value at all.

Islanders have roughly 10M in cap for next year with Wally, Mayfield, Varly and Parise out of contracts. Wahlstrom will get 2-3M Varly 2-3M and Parise is 1M if he comes back. That leaves about 3-4M. The team needs to move Bailey and Beauvillier wether at the deadline if they are out, or during the summer if the team makes a run. Let’s hope Räty or Holmstrom are ready to take Baileys spot and Bolduc or Salo can take on Mayfields spot. If all that happens this team will be in good shape to bring in a wing and compete.
Ideally, I'd love to keep Mayfield and jettison Pulock given the choice which will probably not happen. I'm hoping with Salo back in, he'll get 2nd unit PP time. Pulock can't hit the net, moves the puck too slow and is average at best keeping the puck inside the zone

I'm on the fence about Varly. He's played well but is aging. If we aren't a playoff team, I have to concede that we can be one without his contract and get a cheaper backup

I love what Raty showed in pre season. I don't follow below the NHL level like some guys do so I defer to those more qualified to assess his progress/readiness

Totally with you on Bailey and Beau. Palms is a liability also with the chronic long term injury thing 2 years running now.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Pa

Part of the issue with Miller was trading out salary to accommodate for his new deal that teams needed to do, that depressed the value.

For a UFA like Horvat, cap is 60-70% burned, no future obligation to accommodate a roster/cap spot for his next deal, and may be minimal ‘cap swap’ to offset the trade. Essentially, he’s easier to trade AND get value back because you also have owners/GMs willing to spend on Feb while looking at May and June revenue projections.

I do think if a bunch of these UFAs do not resign or their teams stay competitive, the asking price might be depressed since the 2023 draft is seen as a valuable one. You have Tank, O’Reilley, Kane, Toews, Horvat, Larkin as identified as UFAs and most likely on non-playoff teams come trade deadline time. That’s a bit unusual.
No, No

Miller, last year was over a PPG, and playing a premium position at C, had one year left on his contract 5.25 - that should get you more than expiring contract, in Horvat.

We'll see - my prediction Horvat resigns and Canucks move salary (Garland) at the deadline and in the offseason (Boeser).

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Ideally, I'd love to keep Mayfield and jettison Pulock given the choice which will probably not happen. I'm hoping with Salo back in, he'll get 2nd unit PP time. Pulock can't hit the net, moves the puck too slow and is average at best keeping the puck inside the zone

I'm on the fence about Varly. He's played well but is aging. If we aren't a playoff team, I have to concede that we can be one without his contract and get a cheaper backup

I love what Raty showed in pre season. I don't follow below the NHL level like some guys do so I defer to those more qualified to assess his progress/readiness

Totally with you on Bailey and Beau. Palms is a liability also with the chronic long term injury thing 2 years running now.
If Varly is willing to re-sign for a reasonable price I believe he will be better than any back up we can get. That being said, if Isles are out of it then I agree you have to see what teams are willing to offer to rent him. Palms is def injury prone and the most frustrating part is I feel it only happens when he really gets going. I just don’t know that his contract is movable with so many years left on it.

Pulock on the other hand is a very interesting debate. He is better than mayfield, had chemistry with Pulock and he is also younger. At the same time he does not seem like the same player since his injury. Pulock at 6.15M vs Mayfield at 4M… it is very close. Mayfield has stayed relatively healthy and seems to be getting better. To me it is if one return is significantly better over the other. One thing is certain… Pulocks shot is a completely useless at this point when it was suppose to be his best attribute. If Salo and or Bolduc pan out I’d be much more comfortable moving Pulock.

Reactions: Mike C

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I just love it when a new poster joins the board and tries to set everyone straight by telling it like it is despite not being able to type out coherent sentences. :laugh:
conspiracy-charlie-day.gif

Reactions: Strummergas

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm going to be in the minority and say no, Meier is the better fit if you are looking for someone to play with Barzal. Kane and Barzal are very similar players, they are both carriers of the puck, I don't see them working well together on the same line as they bring the same element. That being said Kane can score goals and is a much better finisher then Barzal but he is still far and away a playmaker.

View attachment 617788
I'd say Kane is only a playmaker at this stage because the lack of talent behind him. If put on a line where that isn't his function, he'd light it up. The PP alone would make it worth the money.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
NYI shouldn't make any deals until the deadline nears - that was how a felt a while ago, and that's still how I feel. Any deal for a major scorer is going to require the 23 1st, and NYI absolutely need to hold on to it unless they feel certain they will make the playoffs.

Pelech is NYI's most consistent contributing skater. How they play with him out is going to be really telling.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
If Varly is willing to re-sign for a reasonable price I believe he will be better than any back up we can get. That being said, if Isles are out of it then I agree you have to see what teams are willing to offer to rent him. Palms is def injury prone and the most frustrating part is I feel it only happens when he really gets going. I just don’t know that his contract is movable with so many years left on it.

Pulock on the other hand is a very interesting debate. He is better than mayfield, had chemistry with Pulock and he is also younger. At the same time he does not seem like the same player since his injury. Pulock at 6.15M vs Mayfield at 4M… it is very close. Mayfield has stayed relatively healthy and seems to be getting better. To me it is if one return is significantly better over the other. One thing is certain… Pulocks shot is a completely useless at this point when it was suppose to be his best attribute. If Salo and or Bolduc pan out I’d be much more comfortable moving Pulock.

Id move Pulock for top line winger without hesitation. Pulock+Wally for Kyle Conner (one can dream haha)

our top 4 D unit of Pelech/Dobson/Romanov/Mayfield is still an very solid group. Aho has been fine and Salo/Bolduc can keep growing. Sign a guy like Schenn in the offseason to play that bottom pair RD role

Id have zero reservation bringing Valry back on a 2-2.5 mil deal

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'd say Kane is only a playmaker at this stage because the lack of talent behind him. If put on a line where that isn't his function, he'd light it up. The PP alone would make it worth the money.
I'm not sure i agree with this. He was a line driver his entire career. Put him with Nelson and Lee and let him handle, have Nelson work the open spaces and that chemistry should work. Playing Barzal and Kane together would be redundant. As for the PP, you have to decide if Nelson can play the bumper role, since Kane is probably the better option on the right side for the one-timer.

Or maybe you really shake it up and take Lee and Nelson off PP1. Parise in front, Kane on right, Wahlstrom in bumper with Barzal and Dobson. Lee only really has one role on the PP, while Parise can be more versatile and mobile. One reason our PP looks stagnant at times is that Lee doesn't move at all and it makes the defense pack it in more.

2nd PP should be Aho on point, Nelson, Lee, Palmieri/Pageau and Beau and they should be shooting and crashing to give the defense a different look to deal with.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Here’s a fun fact. Lou Lamoriello was born in Johnston, R.I.. The year was 1942.

This team is not selling off assets for futures with him at the helm. Unless we go in a major tailspin he’s also not getting fired.

Prepare for a pre-TDL move involving next year’s first.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC and MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
People are smoking rocks trying to trade Pulock.

If the discussion is Kyle Connor first and if we had to trade him and Pulock was what was desired fine but you don't shop Pulock.

He's locked in long term for a low price. So is Pelech, so is Dobber and Romanov.

Also I don't agree with trading guys that took discounts, that's how you ruin culture and future deals.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
For everyone clamoring to trade Pulock- everyone was delighted at his cap hit when he signed
he also has a NMC
And then the game changed where he’s really being exposed in skating, offensive positioning, and his ‘shot’ is inaccurate and slow windup, which he can’t get off in time. So, people are starting to see that he’s really going to be disadvantaged.

If the game closes up in the playoffs (unlikely) as teams are willing to try to outscore their mistakes bc 85% of them can, then he’ll be fine. However, it may be a concern if the game stays this way. If it does, that deal is an anchor in year 2, if not earlier.

The offset is to trade out of the contract now for an offensive player that can force the offense, resign Mayfield, and backfill Mayfield with another d-man.

• Love
Reactions: MarsTBOW and Mike C

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Mike......NMC = No movement clause.

The Isles cannot trade him until 2027-28 when his NMC changes to a 16 team (NTC) No trade clause
NMC is protection and leverage for the player. Doesn’t mean, a player with a NMC ain’t being traded - just means he’s not unilaterally being traded without his consent.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
FYI and just for clarification, no one on the Isles has a NMC (No Movement Contract). Some players, including Pulock have NTC or M-NTC... No Trade Clauses or Modified No Trade Clauses.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
And then the game changed where he’s really being exposed in skating, offensive positioning, and his ‘shot’ is inaccurate and slow windup, which he can’t get off in time. So, people are starting to see that he’s really going to be disadvantaged.

If the game closes up in the playoffs (unlikely) as teams are willing to try to outscore their mistakes bc 85% of them can, then he’ll be fine. However, it may be a concern if the game stays this way. If it does, that deal is an anchor in year 2, if not earlier.

The offset is to trade out of the contract now for an offensive player that can force the offense, resign Mayfield, and backfill Mayfield with another d-man.
Totally agree with you!

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Will be interesting to see who replaces Beau tonight vs Carolina and if there will be any other call ups. This team is going to wear down the second half of this big game. I think we will see Fasching tonight.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad