Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It is mind boggling how anyone can say the Lou era is anything close to what we watched under Snow.

I didn't say it's identical to what we watched. That's impossible with a Trotz-led roster and two ECF's in *unique seasons. As far as the overall talent, can't say it's much better than the Snow years, besides in goal. The team is still largely mediocre, as it was six years ago. The team is still largely what Snow built.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I didn't say it's identical to what we watched. That's impossible with a Trotz-led roster and two ECF's in *unique seasons. As far as the overall talent, can't say it's much better than the Snow years, besides in goal. The team is still largely mediocre, as it was six years ago. The team is still largely what Snow built.

To me, the biggest change has been player development AND the past couple drafts the Isles seem to be placing an emphasis on skating and foot speed.

We can talk about overall talent level and question if it is enough, but I think with players like Barzal, Dobson, Wahlstrom (sure it has been a struggle at times but he seems to be getting better in terms of compiling an all-around game), even Sorokin (making an almost seamless transition from the KHL to the NHL), PLUS players like Holmstrom, Raty, Dufour, Ish, Bolduc, etc. in the AHL, the Isles have done a better job in terms of overall development.

That is going to be very important for the Isles, since they need to maintain an influx of cheap, younger players to supplement the core. Heck, even vets like Nelson, Pelech, Mayfield, etc. have made strides.

Reactions: Mike C and MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
My god

• Haha
Reactions: danteipp

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We should have, but we didn’t have to. Looks like we passed, Seattle (who is higher in the standings? what the heck) claimed him.
Seattle is playing well, however, when Jones comes back to Earth, relying on a hot goalie has its issues.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
2016-17:
Alan Quine played 61 games
Shane Prince played 50 games (quite a few at LW1, I might add)

GTFOH if you think the talent level is not higher than that team.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
And 70% of the roster has turned over since then. But yeah, sure, it's still largely the same team that Snow "built." LOL
Snow did a great job of drafting late:
2006 6th - A.MacDonald
2008 2nd - T.Hamonic
2008 5th - M.Martin
2008 6th - J.Spurgeon
2009 5th - C.Cizikas
2009 6th - A.Lee
2011 2nd - S.Mayfield
2012 3rd - A.Pelech
2013 6th - A.Quine
2014 4th - D.Toews
2017 5th - S.Aho

That cannot be denied.

Everything else, you lose me

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Snow did a great job of drafting late:
2006 6th - A.MacDonald
2008 2nd - T.Hamonic
2008 5th - M.Martin
2008 6th - J.Spurgeon
2009 5th - C.Cizikas
2009 6th - A.Lee
2011 2nd - S.Mayfield
2012 3rd - A.Pelech
2013 6th - A.Quine
2014 4th - D.Toews
2017 5th - S.Aho

That cannot be denied.

Everything else, you lose me

You know what is interesting, if you go by the old adage that the GM helps guide the first round picks, then backs off and lets the scouts progressively handle the later picks, you come up with Snow really didn't do such a good job after all.

Barzal was a no brainer (I would have gone for him or Kyle Connor) and there were some solid picks too, but he failed miserably on JHS, MDC, Bellows, etc.

While players like Strome and Nino were also disappointments. Snow got very lucky flipping Griffin Reinhart to Edmonton, but it was a great trade, so credit to him for that.

And this isn't hindsight either, I preferred Ehlers to MDC and also liked Draisaitl and Sam Reinhart in that draft. Thank the hockey gods we won meaningless games at the end to avoid them though, lol.

I also advocated on this board about trading up a few spots to nab Chychrun after he slid. It just felt like a player who was overanalyzed and would be a solid pro.

I also thought we had a legit shot at Luke Kunin who, even though he hasn't blossomed, would still be better than Bellows. Full disclosure, I never thought Bellows would be available and did not really research him.

Snow also passed on players like Dougie Hamilton and Cam Fowler, all of whom could have been viewed as consensus picks where the Isles drafted and would have been better selections. Especially after it seems like Snow got blindsided by Ryan Johanson going off the board and pivoted to Nino out of desperation.

But it seems like Snow liked to put his stamp on the first rounders and, more often than not, he left money on the table.

But enough about Snow, better to focus on the here and now. And right now the Isles need one more top line player and for the kids in the AHL to keep progressing.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
You know what is interesting, if you go by the old adage that the GM helps guide the first round picks, then backs off and lets the scouts progressively handle the later picks, you come up with Snow really didn't do such a good job after all.

Barzal was a no brainer (I would have gone for him or Kyle Connor) and there were some solid picks too, but he failed miserably on JHS, MDC, Bellows, etc.

While players like Strome and Nino were also disappointments. Snow got very lucky flipping Griffin Reinhart to Edmonton, but it was a great trade, so credit to him for that.

And this isn't hindsight either, I preferred Ehlers to MDC and also liked Draisaitl and Sam Reinhart in that draft. Thank the hockey gods we won meaningless games at the end to avoid them though, lol.

I also advocated on this board about trading up a few spots to nab Chychrun after he slid. It just felt like a player who was overanalyzed and would be a solid pro.

I also thought we had a legit shot at Luke Kunin who, even though he hasn't blossomed, would still be better than Bellows. Full disclosure, I never thought Bellows would be available and did not really research him.

Snow also passed on players like Dougie Hamilton and Cam Fowler, all of whom could have been viewed as consensus picks where the Isles drafted and would have been better selections. Especially after it seems like Snow got blindsided by Ryan Johanson going off the board and pivoted to Nino out of desperation.

But it seems like Snow liked to put his stamp on the first rounders and, more often than not, he left money on the table.

But enough about Snow, better to focus on the here and now. And right now the Isles need one more top line player and for the kids in the AHL to keep progressing.
I might think 2 more top liners or 1 top line guy and a defensive upgrade, especially given the unknown status of Pelech

Not clearing the space or Gaudreau or Kadri might just be the difference between making the post season or not

Reactions: Top Corner

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Barzal was a no brainer? Seems like the big bad Bruins didn’t think he was all that with 3 consecutive picks. No one traded back or forward to take him either.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Barzal was a no brainer? Seems like the big bad Bruins didn’t think he was all that with 3 consecutive picks. No one traded back or forward to take him either.

You just answered your own question. The Bruins and their awful scouting controlled three consecutive picks and failed spectacularly. The Isles moved up for Barzal and the Jets and Senators sprinted to draft Connor and Chabot. One team controlling and missing badly on three picks pushes down superior talent.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Without trying to be 3rd man in, I read it to mean he was a no brainer at that spot

Exactly, lots of no-brainers after those Bruins picks left Barzal, Connor, Chabot and even players like Boesser, Konecny, Roslovic and even White on the board. Pretty much if the Bruins had thrown darts at a consensus list, they would have done better.

Reactions: Mike C

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You just answered your own question. The Bruins and their awful scouting controlled three consecutive picks and failed spectacularly. The Isles moved up for Barzal and the Jets and Senators sprinted to draft Connor and Chabot. One team controlling and missing badly on three picks pushes down superior talent.
The same Bruins that took Connor Bleakley in 2014? Or the no brainer of Pasta? Too bad Snow didn’t trade up for Pasta vs a falling No-Sang.

Barzal was ranked 9th by TSN, hardly a no brainer selected at 16th, if anything he was falling.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Yes and know. This board has a tendency to do this a lot. One huge gripe about Snow was that he didn't hire a legitimate coach. Well, he hired the scouting staff...so have to give him credit.

Reactions: Seph

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
To me, the biggest change has been player development AND the past couple drafts the Isles seem to be placing an emphasis on skating and foot speed.

We can talk about overall talent level and question if it is enough, but I think with players like Barzal, Dobson, Wahlstrom (sure it has been a struggle at times but he seems to be getting better in terms of compiling an all-around game), even Sorokin (making an almost seamless transition from the KHL to the NHL), PLUS players like Holmstrom, Raty, Dufour, Ish, Bolduc, etc. in the AHL, the Isles have done a better job in terms of overall development.

That is going to be very important for the Isles, since they need to maintain an influx of cheap, younger players to supplement the core. Heck, even vets like Nelson, Pelech, Mayfield, etc. have made strides.
True, though I will add, most of this team developed well pre-Lou. We are now seeing those fruits. 90% of the roster are drafted and developed in-house. Trotz has helped take Nelson, Pelech, and Mayfield's games, in particular, to new levels; beyond what they were previously, exponential growth. That's a credit to the leadership group (more Trotz than Lou, though Lou did hire him).

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
2016-17:
Alan Quine played 61 games
Shane Prince played 50 games (quite a few at LW1, I might add)

GTFOH if you think the talent level is not higher than that team.

As noted, cannot say it's *much better. There are shades of grey, shades of mediocrity. There's better depth, but as far as talent, marginally better (outside of Sorokin). Leo Komarov also played long stretches on the 1st line during this tenure.

I am in no way shape or form saying that Snow is on par with Lou, or that I prefer Snow (lol), absolutely not. My original premise is that I haven't been impressed by Lou's ability to add talent to this roster. Forward depth, sure, but not top-end talent.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The same Bruins that took Connor Bleakley in 2014? Or the no brainer of Pasta? Too bad Snow didn’t trade up for Pasta vs a falling No-Sang.

Barzal was ranked 9th by TSN, hardly a no brainer selected at 16th, if anything he was falling.
Guy ranked 9th and falls to 16th, seems like the definition of a No-brainer to me. If I recall his fall was because of an injury during his draft year so scouts couldn't see him perform that much (I may be wrong though).

Reactions: danteipp and Mike C

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Guy ranked 9th and falls to 16th, seems like the definition of a No-brainer to me. If I recall his fall was because of an injury during his draft year so scouts couldn't see him perform that much (I may be wrong though).
plus Barzal had some cockiness that swayed a few GM's away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad