Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
I thought the cap was supposed to skyrocket this year. Did something change or did I have the years mixed up?
Bettman released an update this week that revenues likely will not cover the escrow gap this season.
If that projection comes to reality the cap rises by only 1 million. If the escrow is paid off then it would raise ~4 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think if Beau was in the trade, being that he's on the hook for 4 million next season, adding Horvat isn't crazy.

Would need everyone to participate money wise but it could be done. I'd assume Varly is a 2 million dollar man on 2 years. Mayfield getting mid threes for more years. Whally probably a two year bridge in the high 1's or low 2's.

Horvat would be a good guy to partner with Barzy and if he came in at 7.75 it's doable. Would also provide these same parameters to Kane btw.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I think if Beau was in the trade, being that he's on the hook for 4 million next season, adding Horvat isn't crazy.

Would need everyone to participate money wise but it could be done. I'd assume Varly is a 2 million dollar man on 2 years. Mayfield getting mid threes for more years. Whally probably a two year bridge in the high 1's or low 2's.

Horvat would be a good guy to partner with Barzy and if he came in at 7.75 it's doable. Would also provide these same parameters to Kane btw.
Barzal would need to play wing, Horvat is a center and elite face off guy. Obviously Beau is in deal for him but whom else? Beau, Raty and a 1st?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Bettman released an update this week that revenues likely will not cover the cover the escrow gap this season.
If that projection comes to reality the cap rises by only 1 million. If the escrow is paid off then it would raise ~4 million.

$1 million? Wow, that's huge!!!

1671046125096.png

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
There’s been some Bailey discussion on the Bruins GDT so I thought I’d continue it here.

Bailey is in decline. I know, it’s a brilliant observation. With that in mind, I started to think about Mayfield’s next contract. I then tried to come up with any isles players in recent memory that have maintained their productivity into their early and mid-30s. I’m hard-pressed to come up with anyone and I’m sure it’s a short list.

I doubt Mayfield gets flipped at the TDL unless we’re unexpectedly out of the mix. No matter how the season goes, signing guys for major dollars at that age is a losing strategy. Just say no Lou.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I then tried to come up with any isles players in recent memory that have maintained their productivity into their early and mid-30s. I’m hard-pressed to come up with anyone and I’m sure it’s a short list.
Boychuk was still very good when healthy up until about 35. Not.sure if it's recent enough to count, but Sillinger was still good for us up up until about 35 as well.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Boychuk was still very good when healthy up until about 35. Not.sure if it's recent enough to count, but Sillinger was still good for us up up until about 35 as well.
Well done. I figured there were a few but you’re digging a little deep.

For me it’s a calculated gamble that’s just not worth a reasonable chance of a big downside. I know Cizikas is on a heater (not really) but another 5 years at $2.5M/year is gonna hurt. I understand the argument on Casey but Clutter? Lou gets a D- on that one.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Boychuk would be getting smoked in todays game, but yes he was productive at his age under that style of game.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Well done. I figured there were a few but you’re digging a little deep.

For me it’s a calculated gamble that’s just not worth a reasonable chance of a big downside. I know Cizikas is on a heater (not really) but another 5 years at $2.5M/year is gonna hurt. I understand the argument on Casey but Clutter? Lou gets a D- on that one.
I think Clutterbuck's play is still worth his caphit, personally. And if he falls off a cliff next year, I doubt 600k will really be an issue for the cap.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Any help is necessary at this time.

I didn't realize how packed the standings are. NYI has dropped out of the 3rd spot, now 3 pts behind the Pens, NYR is tied with them, and WSH has all of a sudden won a few games to be within a point.

The Pelech injury better not be long term, cannot see them surviving in this ultra competitive league without him.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Any help is necessary at this time.

I didn't realize how packed the standings are. NYI has dropped out of the 3rd spot, now 3 pts behind the Pens, NYR is tied with them, and WSH has all of a sudden won a few games to be within a point.

The Pelech injury better not be long term, cannot see them surviving in this ultra competitive league without him.
Fla is lurking too

Detroit is there as is Montreal but let's throw them in the discard pile. I'm gonna put Rangers in safe zone which leaves 1 spot for us, Wash and Fla. Pitt and TB are more fragile than in past so there MIGHT be wiggle room there

If an extended Horvat costs a pick and prospects I'd do it pronto. He's 27 and really good although I wouldn't give up anything more than Beau and a 3rd/4th for him and a 4th/5th as a rental

Figure other teams will be active. I will be surprised if Kane winds up anywhere but NYR

Canucks are 5 out of playoff spot entering tonight. 3 back if they win. I might hang on to him into the new year and see if they move up. If so, trade him at last minute

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Fla is lurking too

Detroit is there as is Montreal but let's throw them in the discard pile. I'm gonna put Rangers in safe zone which leaves 1 spot for us, Wash and Fla. Pitt and TB are more fragile than in past so there MIGHT be wiggle room there

If an extended Horvat costs a pick and prospects I'd do it pronto. He's 27 and really good although I wouldn't give up anything more than Beau and a 3rd/4th for him and a 4th/5th as a rental

Figure other teams will be active. I will be surprised if Kane winds up anywhere but NYR

Canucks are 5 out of playoff spot entering tonight. 3 back if they win. I might hang on to him into the new year and see if they move up. If so, trade him at last minute

Ottawa has been playing better as well and I wouldn't sleep on Buffalo. I said it at the beginning of the season, the east is more competitive than ever with the rebuilding teams taking steps forward. Even Montreal is hanging in. This is also why Lou needed to upgrade the roster. :deadhorse

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Ottawa has been playing better as well and I wouldn't sleep on Buffalo. I said it at the beginning of the season, the east is more competitive than ever with the rebuilding teams taking steps forward. Even Montreal is hanging in. This is also why Lou needed to upgrade the roster. :deadhorse
I think Ottawa and Buffalo might be a year away but are young and improving.

I really rue not getting Kadri. There would be no off night shitty lackluster performances with him on board. Those are the points not attained that will be the death knell when the wash is done

Reactions: BelovedIsles

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I think Ottawa and Buffalo might be a year away but are young and improving.

I really rue not getting Kadri. There would be no off night shitty lackluster performances with him on board. Those are the points not attained that will be the death knell when the wash is done
Mike,
Gonna have to disagree with you on Kadri. Sure I’d take him in a vacuum as a UFA in a world with no salary cap.

In the real world, I absolutely hate his deal. He’s 32 years old and in the first year of a $7M x 7 yr deal.

So far this year’s good but not great. The middle and end of that deal may be a huge anchor.

Here’s this year’s stats:
29 games, 11 goals, 10 assists, -8
11 of his points are on the PP. That means he has 10 even strength points in 29 games.

Reactions: Big L and Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Mike,
Gonna have to disagree with you on Kadri. Sure I’d take him in a vacuum as a UFA in a world with no salary cap.

In the real world, I absolutely hate his deal. He’s 32 years old and in the first year of a $7M x 7 yr deal.

So far this year’s good but not great. The middle and end of that deal may be a huge anchor.

11 of his points are on the PP. That means he has 10 even strength points in 29 games.
Yeah man, not sure I'd want him for 7 years but I think the fire and passion he brings are worth a lot and the championship pedigree is much needed here. I think he would have been a nice fit.

I do need to think more real worldesque. For some reason I forget that today's hockey often requires overpaying either in years or money to get top shelf players.

I've often stated that I have a 70s/80s mentality as much as possible

Reactions: The Real JT

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I thought the cap was supposed to skyrocket this year. Did something change or did I have the years mixed up?
Isn't the cap tied to the economy as a whole? As long as the economy is doing well, the cap goes up. If there is a recession and revenue goes down, then the cap should fall.

Mike,

Is there any other comparable sport than hockey that signs 32 year olds to 7 year deals?? It's beyond stupid.

Do not ever sign players over 30 to more than three years and less the older they get.

Reactions: The Real JT

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Watching Kadri tonight. He is skilled and quick, he would most certainly help this offense and PP. The 7 years may be the dealbreaker. He does a lot of good things on the ice and doesn't take many shifts off; his -8 is a function of the Flames not playing to their potential IMHO.

Reactions: Mike C

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Isn't the cap tied to the economy as a whole? As long as the economy is doing well, the cap goes up. If there is a recession and revenue goes down, then the cap should fall.

It's tied to revenue and revenue isn't necessarily connected to the economy (a business can do well during a period of economic hardship while others struggle and vice versa). Some of the deals the NHL signs are for periods of time that extend well beyond economic downturns so it's likely just timing. I don't remember the salary cap ever falling, even during economic downturns we've seen over the past 15-20 years and the flat cap was the worst thing that has happened due to the pandemic.

I was under the impression that the escrow was going to be paid back this year and as a result the cap would skyrocket. Couldn't recall if I was just incorrectly remembering when it was supposed to happen or if the predictions were wrong and it's been pushed back a year.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Watching Kadri tonight. He is skilled and quick, he would most certainly help this offense and PP. The 7 years may be the dealbreaker. He does a lot of good things on the ice and doesn't take many shifts off; his -8 is a function of the Flames not playing to their potential IMHO.
aside from his skill level, i've always liked the effort he brings. his nasty edge and swagger is an element this NYI team is lacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad