Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I dont think we are getting Kane (I just get a feeling he wouldn't come to Isles anyway he has too much of a choice) but also dont think we are getting TImo neither. I think sharks try to keep TImo at all costs also. If blues are out they will probably be shopping Tarasenko.

I would love any of them thought they would all help the team...if we needed a center I'd say ROR instead of Toews but we don't need a center. So any of those would improve the team lets see what happens.
ROR or Horvat could allow us to move Nelson to Barzal's wing. I'd endorse that move!

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
You put the point I was trying to make so eloquently in to words. Thank you. Agree 1000%.
I think player in his prime like Meier Is where this team needs to look. It’s harder to get and usually have to give up more for sure. I’m not big Boeser guy but even he fits that idea as well.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
IMO, I am getting the feeling that Horvat is going to resign - 8x9.

Canucks and Horvat still have yet to talk, but I get the sense they are looking for a homerun deal, which is not going to come. Miller is not a C and so it makes sense for them to keep their C and either trade Garland or Boeser for picks just to get rid of the contract... unfortunately for them in the end it will be a Bjorkstrand-type deal.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Don't we already have our Horvat, in Pageau?
Not the same player at all. Horvat is actually mediocre defensively and doesn't really kill penalties, but in the last two seasons he has really found himself offensively. He is great on the faceoff dot.

Any updates on Pelech?
I would imagine we would see Salo and possibly Wotherspoon too getting the call.

Next man up!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
IMO, I am getting the feeling that Horvat is going to resign - 8x9.

Canucks and Horvat still have yet to talk, but I get the sense they are looking for a homerun deal, which is not going to come. Miller is not a C and so it makes sense for them to keep their C and either trade Garland or Boeser for picks just to get rid of the contract... unfortunately for them in the end it will be a Bjorkstrand-type deal.
I would disagree on him resigning unless he really wants to stay in Vancouver as the Captain and not roll the dice in the summer as an UFA. Johnny Trademark is a warning sign for UFAs on having to ‘settle’ on money/team/location, if the market doesn’t go your way.

There will be a length of suitors in the summer, however, the cap bump might not be enough to provide a lot of realistic options. We already know teams are not making unilateral cap/salary swaps.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I would disagree on him resigning unless he really wants to stay in Vancouver as the Captain and not roll the dice in the summer as an UFA. Johnny Trademark is a warning sign for UFAs on having to ‘settle’ on money/team/location, if the market doesn’t go your way.
IMO, the Canucks will capitulate and give Horvat - Hintz $ and sell low on Garland and/or Boeser just to rid themselves of the contract. The Canucks did not get their asking price for Miller and they won't on Horvat, which is a bluechip prospect @ C or D.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm going to be in the minority and say no, Meier is the better fit if you are looking for someone to play with Barzal. Kane and Barzal are very similar players, they are both carriers of the puck, I don't see them working well together on the same line as they bring the same element. That being said Kane can score goals and is a much better finisher then Barzal but he is still far and away a playmaker.

View attachment 617788

Does Kane make his line mates better though? If they split the two up it might have a higher return. I'm just concerned with Kane's age and him not being a long term solution and I'd prefer to get the younger player to help solidify the lineup.

Reactions: Mike C

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
IMO, the Canucks will capitulate and give Horvat - Hintz $ and sell low on Garland and/or Boeser just to rid themselves of the contract. The Canucks did not get their asking price for Miller and they won't on Horvat, which is a bluechip prospect @ C or D.
Trading Miller is a bit different bc he was a RFA vs Horvat a UFA. They can get back a fair return on Horvat. It’s really whether he wants to avoid the UFA process and/or leave Vancouver (the organization). Miller resigned bc he feared not getting a premium if he waited another year and the market looked grim for him to get paid.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Does Kane make his line mates better though? If they split the two up it might have a higher return. I'm just concerned with Kane's age and him not being a long term solution and I'd prefer to get the younger player to help solidify the lineup.
100% he would immensely improve the other lines, basically you add a better Barzal to it.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Trading Miller is a bit different bc he was a RFA vs Horvat a UFA. They can get back a fair return on Horvat. It’s really whether he wants to avoid the UFA process and/or leave Vancouver (the organization). Miller resigned bc he feared not getting a premium if he waited another year and the market looked grim for him to get paid.
That is incorrect Miller was a UFA with 1 year left at 5.25 and there was no way Miller was going to turn down that $

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That is incorrect Miller was a UFA with 1 year left at 5.25 and there was no way Miller was going to turn down that $
One guy is in his walk year, the other was not. Different scenarios.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
100% he would immensely improve the other lines, basically you add a better Barzal to it.
This is the logic on here I legit don't get. We want Kane because he's a better Barzal, will make all his linemates better, but.. Barzal can't put up the numbers he "should" because we don't have scorers on this team. But aren't these non-scoring teammates the same ones Kane will be playing with? Is he THAT good that he'll make scorers out of non-scorers?

Or are we banking on him rediscovering his goal scoring ways?

I am just confused on what impact people think Kane will have. Cause while I respect what he's done over his career, I don't see him providing, at this point in the space/time continuum, what the Isles really need.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike C

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
This is the logic on here I legit don't get. We want Kane because he's a better Barzal, will make all his linemates better, but.. Barzal can't put up the numbers he "should" because we don't have scorers on this team. But aren't these non-scoring teammates the same ones Kane will be playing with? Is he THAT good that he'll make scorers out of non-scorers?

I am just confused on what impact people think Kane will have. Cause while I respect what he's done over his career, I don't see him providing, at this point in the space/time continuum, what the Isles really need.

He had 92 pts last year. Ill take my chances w patrick kane.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Is he THAT good that he'll make scorers out of non-scorers?
He's one of the best players of all time and is coming off a 92 point season on a tanking Chicago team. One year with a motivation to win a cup and make one last major payday will be major motivation. Patrick Kane producing if we get him would be the least of my concerns about that deal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

When Barzal can’t get Kane the puck because he rink curled himself into 1 on 3 coverage folks here will throw Kane under the bus.

“He’s old”
“He’s going through the motions”
“He’s washed up”

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
When Barzal can’t get Kane the puck because he rink curled himself into 1 on 3 coverage folks here will throw Kane under the bus.

“He’s old”
“He’s going through the motions”
“He’s washed up”
Nah, Kaner has a built in excuse. He's drunk!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
He's one of the best players of all time and is coming off a 92 point season on a tanking Chicago team. One year with a motivation to win a cup and make one last major payday will be major motivation. Patrick Kane producing if we get him would be the least of my concerns about that deal.
66 of the 92 were assists. Who on this team will light the lamp when he's passing them the puck that can't do it now with Barzal?

Reactions: TMI

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Of all the current names thrown around, I like Timo Meier. He's just entering his prime and is a shooter. I'd take Kane any day, (and would probably cost less if he wanted a trade to NYI). Meier has a long career ahead of him; he fits right into the Barzal/Sorokin range.

Last edited:
Reactions: WangMustGo

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Of all the current names thrown around, I like Timo Meier. He's just entering his prime and is a shooter. I'd take Kane any day, (and would probably cost less if he wanted a trade to NYI), but Meier has a long career ahead of him; he fits right into the Barzal/Sorokin range.
Without DeBrincat and Stromme on his line to capitalize off him, I'm dubious

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Wonder if Lou will disclose Pelech's injury at all, as he is always very discrete about everything about the team's operation. Just hope Pelech is ok. Even not at his best so far this season, he is still the most reliable D defensively on this team and no other D stick check is better than him against opposing forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad