Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
OK then, so you have to acknowledge that roster didn't preform until Lou and company came on board, sans Dobson & Wahlstrom correct? An atmosphere of accountability and professionalism was established a world class coach brought in and hockey people were placed in key positions something not present previously!
Snow was a loser who didn't accomplish anything. I was being sarcastic.

Reactions: NC 1972

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Another wrinkle on a potential Kadri signing.

Having a new coach is always a bit of a crapshoot. Let’s agree that Coach Trotz paid dividends with his shut down defensively oriented style but if was time for him to move on.

I will try to be optimistic regarding Coach Lambert but to expect he will generate the same performance as BT did over his first 2 years is wildly optimistic. Going an additional 2 years in the future, a potential Kadri contract at $7+M/year for 4-5 more years will hamstring this franchise’s flexibility in roster acquisitions.

Staying the course is disappointing as a fan, but I’d rather Lou make a minor short term move than go all in on a pricey soon to 32 yo good but not great player coming off a career year.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You ask for thoughts and then go on the attack.

I watch a ton of Vancouver games - I live out here. The knock on Boeser and his speed is making the Isles even slower! If you want a hockey trade for Barzal, then it is for Petey! And if I wanted a wing or a package I’d rather have Garland than Boeser

As for OEL - it is not 5m - it is for 7m and for the next 5 YEARS! Bailey’s contract is up in two. If you are taking OEL Lou better get a 1st and Garland and give up Bailey.
You missed the part of Vancouver retaining on OEL that I put in

If you’re going to call me combative at least quote me accurately

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Another wrinkle on a potential Kadri signing.

Having a new coach is always a bit of a crapshoot. Let’s agree that Coach Trotz paid dividends with his shut down defensively oriented style but if was time for him to move on.

I will try to be optimistic regarding Coach Lambert but to expect he will generate the same performance as BT did over his first 2 years is wildly optimistic. Going an additional 2 years in the future, a potential Kadri contract at $7+M/year for 4-5 more years will hamstring this franchise’s flexibility in roster acquisitions.

Staying the course is disappointing as a fan, but I’d rather Lou make a minor short term move than go all in on a pricey soon to 32 yo good but not great player coming off a career year.
A lot of us are old enough to remember that there was no way Belichick could replace Parcells and do better

Let’s see

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You missed the part of Vancouver retaining on OEL that I put in

If you’re going to call me combative at least quote me accurately
Still too many years for OEL even at 5m. The contract is BAD even with retained salary/cap. It would be the last time a team can retain too.

With Dobson needing a big raise in two years - if he signs a bridge and then resigning Romanov too - I don’t think it is wise to tie up more $ on the blue line, especially for someone who is trending the other way. I’d rather resign Mayfield.

Also look at the cash too. How do you advocate for this contract?!

That was my second reply that didn’t mention the retainment - my first reply is where you lost it and when on the attack - if we are being accurate.

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Still too many years for OEL even at 5m. The contract is BAD even with retained salary/cap. It would be the last time a team can retain too.

With Dobson needing a big raise in two years - if he signs a bridge and then resigning Romanov too - I don’t think it is wise to tie up more $ on the blue line, especially for someone who is trending the other way. I’d rather resign Mayfield.

That was my second reply that didn’t mention the retainment - my first reply is where you lost it and when on the attack - if we are being accurate.
With you on Mayfield!

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Totally agree, I would also say, just dump it in if you have nothing developing and let someone battle for it and see what happens rather than trying to create something out of nothing which doesn't usually work favorably and can lead to the ill timed turnover

Hey man,

Just curious, is Vancouver as beautiful as they say. I've only been to Niagra Falls, Montreal, and Nova Scotia as far as my Canadian visits
Most of Canada is beautiful. Nova Scotia would be the most beautiful. ;)

Reactions: Mike C

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
When someone says, "this roster was built by Snow" it doesn't mean they don't understand that LL brought in the coach and structure that the team needed. The two are not mutually exclusive.
But it also somehow implies through the back door that a new GM should be blowing up everything, moving everybody out, and then bringing in "his own crew" on all fronts. Otherwise, the prior GM gets all the credit for any success the new one may have with the boys who survive the regime change.

And no new GM of an NHL team does that.

In fact, about the most change in direction I've ever seen when a new GM has been brought in has been done this summer by Mike Grier for the San Jose Sharks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

OEL might not be a good fit for the Isles now that they acquired Romanov, but I don't get the idea that (assuming retention) $5M for 5 more years for a 31 year old top 4 defenseman is a bad contract? And OEL doesn't play a style that burns out young.

Reactions: leeroggy

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
A lot of us are old enough to remember that there was no way Belichick could replace Parcells and do better

Let’s see
A glass half full guy I see. Very commendable.

Of course Al Groh and then Herm Edwards followed Parcells on the Jets so there’s that. :rolleyes:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
A glass half full guy I see. Very commendable.

Of course Al Groh and then Herm Edwards followed Parcells on the Jets so there’s that. :rolleyes:
Groh went 9-7 in his only year as Jets coach, that probably puts him #3 on the Jets all time won loss percentages 😂

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
OEL might not be a good fit for the Isles now that they acquired Romanov, but I don't get the idea that (assuming retention) $5M for 5 more years for a 31 year old top 4 defenseman is a bad contract? And OEL doesn't play a style that burns out young.
Apparently nobody OEL’s age should get a contract that takes them past 34 years old.

Don’t trust anyone over 30 :sarcasm:

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver fan here (follow the isles a bit) but I kind of dont want to trade OEL. He had an underrated good season last year & made Myers look solid (I believe Myers gets unreasonable hate at times).

I honestly dont believe Van - NYI are good trade partners at the moment

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
But it also somehow implies through the back door that a new GM should be blowing up everything, moving everybody out, and then bringing in "his own crew" on all fronts. Otherwise, the prior GM gets all the credit for any success the new one may have with the boys who survive the regime change.

And no new GM of an NHL team does that.

In fact, about the most change in direction I've ever seen when a new GM has been brought in has been done this summer by Mike Grier for the San Jose Sharks.
Implications... or perceptions? To me it's just stating a fact and everything happening after that is a reaction. When i say it, it's only to refute that Snow was 100% incompetent like some posters want to contend. It's nothing beyond that.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I'm excited about Raty as well, but can we pump the brakes on this kid a bit?

A couple WJC games is one thing, but let's wait until he's actually played an NHL game or 20 before breaking out all the hyperbole...

ok, Raty aside, what about signing Kadri and trading Barzal for a haul and making this team better now? Barzal is great but not much better than Kadri and it seems with the right move, getting at least 2 for 1 here which we desperately need.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
No to OEL. He did not look great last year with Vancouver so absolutely no. Also if Barzal is ever to be traded, the only kid I will consider for trade for him is Mason McTavish of the Duck who I think will be an impact player in NHL. Anaheim had to add, though maybe another top prospect or top pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad