Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
There is nobody internally or available externally, that is replacing Laine's potential goals...whether he ended up with 20, 30 or 40.
Losing him even as a reclamation project hurts the team. It was already a bit of a long shot but anyone thinking we can still make playoffs is in for a long year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There is nobody internally or available externally, that is replacing Laine's potential goals...whether he ended up with 20, 30 or 40.
Losing him even as a reclamation project hurts the team. It was already a bit of a long shot but anyone thinking we can still make playoffs is in for a long year.
A looooong year indeed

Reactions: Habs and Habby4Life

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Kuch, Mack, Mikko, Drai, Connor, Pasta, Matthews, those guys are superstars.

If he is healthy, is somewhat consistent he would be in the tier below these guys. If he is healthy and actually performs. Yeah, very good, superstar, no.

Nailed it.

Healthy he would be in their top 5 and no one outside that comes close to the talent of that group.

Playoffs would be very difficult even he didnt get hurt. Playoff cutoff was 91 points last year, no way this team was going to make a 15 point improvement. However, even missing the playoffs, he would add so much to the team. Solidify second line, help the PP, and on and on. We keep talking about improving, him being healthy and scoring 20, 30 goals would do just that. Saying this is no loss is just bizarre. Guarantee you Habs management think it hurts, I'll bet on that.

Last edited:

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
We're not sniffing Martone this year

But we weren't winning the cup either

Still lots of players to monitor this year, it's not a sunk year by any stretch

Who is going to be worse? We are one key injury from being as bad as the bottom teams from what I can see? I think we are bottom 5 easily?

Reactions: Habby4Life

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Who is going to be worse? We are one key injury from being as bad as the bottom teams from what I can see? I think we are bottom 5 easily?
Injuries can change everything... nobody disputes that.

As is though? With 'normal' injuries? We'll move up into around an 85 point club. Outside the playoffs but we'll improve.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Kuch, Mack, Mikko, Drai, Connor, Pasta, Matthews, those guys are superstars.

If he is healthy, is somewhat consistent he would be in the tier below these guys. If he is healthy and actually performs. Yeah, very good, superstar, no.
48 in 82 in his first games with MSL including half his rookie year. 315 shots last season. Easily superstar potential. He doesn't have to be as good as Matthews to be a superstar. Last year should've been a 50 goal season.

It all comes down to his health.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Injuries can change everything... nobody disputes that.

As is though? With 'normal' injuries? We'll move up into around an 85 point club. Outside the playoffs but we'll improve.

I just don't see it with this failure of a PP

Tons of teams can get tons of injuries

It's not *just* us lol as much as we like to think that

well it's mostly us lol

Reactions: Redux91

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I just don't see it with this failure of a PP
I think our PP will be better than last year. :)

Hutson will get some time there. It's going to be a fun year to watch.
well it's mostly us lol
Yeah man... it's insane.

It's time for some other team to take a turn. I've never seen anything like this. And such weird flukey injuries too. Dach's hit last year looked like nothing.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Laine done for the year IMHO...

Last year Dach got injured on Saturday ...they waited until Tuesday and announced
he was done for the season.

Laine was injured on Saturday .....will we hear on (Tuesday) he is surgery bound and done.?

Dach stuck around the team as Martin St Louis ask him to join the management pre scout meetings....I will assume Laine will be offered the same type of role to stick around.

Dach went in for operation in Oct .....got back on his skates in Febuary

Last edited:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
48 in 82 in his first games with MSL including half his rookie year. 315 shots last season. Easily superstar potential. He doesn't have to be as good as Matthews to be a superstar. Last year should've been a 50 goal season.

It all comes down to his health.

Should have been a 50 goal season??????

Should have been, no, reality it was 28.

Superstars produce at the guys I mentioned above production rates. CC hasn't and isn't even close to doing so, that is the real world. Superstars dominate the game, put up elite numbers, neither of which CC does.

Hate to break it to you but CC isn't going to be a superstar.

Yep, they will get more injuries, and have zero ability to recover.

I will go further, they are bottom 3, and will struggle to come in around 76pts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar and Habs

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
85 points is realistic
If everything goes to plan, everything.

PP and PK better improve, Monty better stand on his head, and NS eats his wheaties. Not to mention they don't get another long term injury to anyone of the remaining top 4 guys.

It will be a very long year. We will be invested in watching the lottery balls this summer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Should have been a 50 goal season??????

Should have been, no, reality it was 28.

Superstars produce at the guys I mentioned above production rates. CC hasn't and isn't even close to doing so, that is the real world. Superstars dominate the game, put up elite numbers, neither of which CC does.

Hate to break it to you but CC isn't going to be a superstar.
You asked me about potential - not certainty.

The potential is there without a doubt. The guy set records coming into the league and immediately dominated once he had a decent coach. scoring that much so quickly is awesome. Very few players can do that. Injury is all that limited him from a career year last year. With a normal shooting percentage he'd have been somewhere between 45-53 goals.

It comes down to health. We simply don't know what that shoulder is going to do to him. It SHOULD be better this year but we don't know that it will.

The potential for a superstar is there without a doubt. But health will determine whether or not he can realize that potential. Anyways, this can all go into the CC thread.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

You expect guys like Suzuki and Caufield and Slaf to take another step forward. The young dmen should also be better and allow fewer goals. To be that is a realistic minimum expectation, and that alone would be enough to push this team above others like Ottawa, Buffalo, Philly, etc...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If everything goes to plan, everything.
Nonsense.

If everything went right we could make the playoffs. We were second in the league in one goal losses last season. That's another ten points right there and that was without Dach, Hutson and CC's bum shoulder.

I don't think anyone's expecting the playoffs but 85 points is not the ceiling.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
You asked me about potential - not certainty.

The potential is there without a doubt. The guy set records coming into the league and immediately dominated once he had a decent coach. scoring that much so quickly is awesome. Very few players can do that. Injury is all that limited him from a career year last year. With a normal shooting percentage he'd have been somewhere between 45-53 goals.

It comes down to health. We simply don't know what that shoulder is going to do to him. It SHOULD be better this year but we don't know that it will.

The potential for a superstar is there without a doubt. But health will determine whether or not he can realize that potential. Anyways, this can all go into the CC thread.
Last I heard he said the shoulder was 100%. That was before camp last season. Was there a setback?

Did he or the team provide an update to the contrary? Usually that would happen after the season.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
You expect guys like Suzuki and Caufield and Slaf to take another step forward. The young dmen should also be better and allow fewer goals. To be that is a realistic minimum expectation, and that alone would be enough to push this team above others like Ottawa, Buffalo, Philly, etc...
No way we push past the sens and Philly they got much better.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

Yes but those other teams are also getting better as their youngsters develop...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Last I heard he said the shoulder was 100%. That was before camp last season. Was there a setback?

Did he or the team provide an update to the contrary? Usually that would happen after the season.
Last season they said CC's shoulder was 100 percent too. :laugh:

The fact is that he's coming off shoulder surgery. Even if you play 82 games, it doesn't mean you're 100 percent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad