Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Trotz looked tired and weary last year. He seemingly had a shorter fuse, which you could see come out at times when he interacted with the press. Gone was much of that jovial attitude.

Maybe that happened with the players too. Trotz really just relied on what he knew, specifically veterans, almost just going through the motions at times.

Just listening to him talk, he would have returned to do what he was contractually obligated to do but did not seem to be looking to the future at all.

That is a big problem, especially when you are trying to get over the hump to the next level.

Because while the veteran core primarily got them to back-to-back ECFs, it was clear that other players, specifically younger players, needed to be integrated more.

The Isles looked much better in the few games Lambert coached. Will that hold up over a full season and beyond? I don't know, but we are going to find out.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
So if and it is a BIG IF Raty is the future top line center here, I can see the scenario where Lou can take a bit of a risk and make this team better immediately in signing Kadri, trading Barzal for talent including a top line winger and not sacrafice the future. A Pat Lafontaine type deal where you trade a star, land talent, keep the cap space and benefit immediately. Fun to speculate especially with Lou running out of options late in this offseason. Wonder what Lou could net trading Barzal?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So if and it is a BIG IF Raty is the future top line center here, I can see the scenario where Lou can take a bit of a risk and make this team better immediately in signing Kadri, trading Barzal for talent including a top line winger and not sacrafice the future. A Pat Lafontaine type deal where you trade a star, land talent, keep the cap space and benefit immediately. Fun to speculate especially with Lou running out of options late in this offseason. Wonder what Lou could net trading Barzal?
Kyle Connor even up could work

Timo Meier and Brandon Coe

Boeser, Lazar and OEL (at $5 million, with Vancouver retaining enough - $1 million already retained by Arizona, so they retain $2,250,000) for Barzal and Bailey

A few thoughts

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I remember how shocked, then excited i was when that happened. I mean, it was quite a haul. Then i was devastated when my fave Sutter got traded for Thomas. Ended up being great though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Boeser, Lazar and OEL (at $5 million, with Vancouver retaining enough - $1 million already retained by Arizona, so they retain $2,250,000) for Barzal and Bailey

A few thoughts
Raty hasn’t even had a full season in North America yet, lets pump the breaks.

I can’t see any scenario in which Raty usurps Barzal in the next 2-3 years, his skating needs work and the NHL is a skating league.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Trotz looked tired and weary last year. He seemingly had a shorter fuse, which you could see come out at times when he interacted with the press. Gone was much of that jovial attitude.

Maybe that happened with the players too. Trotz really just relied on what he knew, specifically veterans, almost just going through the motions at times.

Just listening to him talk, he would have returned to do what he was contractually obligated to do but did not seem to be looking to the future at all.

That is a big problem, especially when you are trying to get over the hump to the next level.

Because while the veteran core primarily got them to back-to-back ECFs, it was clear that other players, specifically younger players, needed to be integrated more.

The Isles looked much better in the few games Lambert coached. Will that hold up over a full season and beyond? I don't know, but we are going to find out.
Long road trip, Martin and Varly not fit to play from the jump, Pullock injury, Palms injury, too many penalties early in games, inability to clear zone, bad passes and turnovers in own and neutral zone, covid debacle, shitty overtime record, many goals disallowed, endless posts, crossbars and great saves against, Lee taking awhile to find his game legs, the list goes on

I was tired and weary and on short fuse, how the heck could Barry NOT have felt that way, especially after the prior season and the high expectations coming in

SI

Feb 16, 2013

A few thoughts
Connor for Barzal - value wise looks good, but Barzal is not going to sign there.

Van deal is awful - If you are making a deal with Van it’s for Pettersson. Boeser is too slow and OEL contract is a killer.

Meier - eh

Keep Barzal.

Crashsunday

Dec 18, 2006
San Diego
I remember how shocked, then excited i was when that happened. I mean, it was quite a haul. Then i was devastated when my fave Sutter got traded for Thomas. Ended up being great though.
Remember the same, shocked then pretty happy when I saw the return and how they played. Was really bummed when Brent got traded also, but Thomas quickly played well enough for me to forget.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Raty hasn’t even had a full season in North America yet, lets pump the breaks.

I can’t see any scenario in which Raty usurps Barzal in the next 2-3 years, his skating needs work and the NHL is a skating league.
I don't think it matters with the Raty part. Signing Kadri and trading Barzal for Connor might well be a better team balance.

Reactions: MJF

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
How about we see how Barzal does this year without the suffocating defensive style that Trotz demanded. Maybe, just maybe Barzal could produce more offensivley and still be a good defensive player also. I am expecting a really big season from him and I would not trade him.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Connor for Barzal - value wise looks good, but Barzal is not going to sign there.

Van deal is awful - If you are making a deal with Van it’s for Pettersson. Boeser is too slow and OEL contract is a killer.

Meier - eh

Keep Barzal.
OEL at $5 million is NOT a killer. For the life of me I don't understand the de-valuing of OEL. He was forced to carry a bad Arizona backline and produced nicely last year for Vancouver. It allows Romanov to pair with Mayfield and our defense is SICK with depth.

As for Boeser being too slow, he certainly has no problems SCORING GOALS. 117 in 315 games in his last 5 seasons is a THIRTY GOAL pace for 82 games PER YEAR.

How does he do that if he's TOO SLOW???? Isn't Bailey slow too? Boeser is what we are PRAYING Wally becomes.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
How about we see how Barzal does this year without the suffocating defensive style that Trotz demanded. Maybe, just maybe Barzal could produce more offensivley and still be a good defensive player also. I am expecting a really big season from him and I would not trade him.
Salary drive season baby!

Reactions: PROMputt

SI

Feb 16, 2013
OEL at $5 million is NOT a killer. For the life of me I don't understand the de-valuing of OEL. He was forced to carry a bad Arizona backline and produced nicely last year for Vancouver. It allows Romanov to pair with Mayfield and our defense is SICK with depth.

As for Boeser being too slow, he certainly has no problems SCORING GOALS. 117 in 315 games in his last 5 seasons is a THIRTY GOAL pace for 82 games PER YEAR.

How does he do that if he's TOO SLOW???? Isn't Bailey slow too? Boeser is what we are PRAYING Wally becomes.
You ask for thoughts and then go on the attack.

I watch a ton of Vancouver games - I live out here. The knock on Boeser and his speed is making the Isles even slower! If you want a hockey trade for Barzal, then it is for Petey! And if I wanted a wing or a package I’d rather have Garland than Boeser

As for OEL - it is not 5m - it is for 7m and for the next 5 YEARS! Bailey’s contract is up in two. If you are taking OEL Lou better get a 1st and Garland and give up Bailey.

Last edited:
Reactions: impaaaaaact

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
One simple thing that Barzal can do to reach another level is to simply shoot the puck more.

Finding a winger that can mesh with him like Eberle did will help, but first and foremost he needs to shoot.
Totally agree, I would also say, just dump it in if you have nothing developing and let someone battle for it and see what happens rather than trying to create something out of nothing which doesn't usually work favorably and can lead to the ill timed turnover

You ask for thoughts and then go on the attack.

I watch a ton of Vancouver games - I live out here. The knock on Boeser and his speed is making the Isles even slower! If you want a hockey trade for Barzal, then it is for Petey!

As for OEL - it is not 5m - it is for 7m and for the next 5 YEARS! Bailey’s contract is up in two.
Hey man,

Just curious, is Vancouver as beautiful as they say. I've only been to Niagra Falls, Montreal, and Nova Scotia as far as my Canadian visits

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Totally agree, I would also say, just dump it in if you have nothing developing and let someone battle for it and see what happens rather than trying to create something out of nothing which doesn't usually work favorably and can lead to the ill timed turnover

Hey man,

Just curious, is Vancouver as beautiful as they say. I've only been to Niagra Falls, Montreal, and Nova Scotia as far as my Canadian visits
Why not cut his balls off too.

Hey man,

Really beautiful - ocean and Mountains - tall trees. I live on Vancouver Island (which is magical) so a long ferry ride away from the city.

Too rainy in the winter but summer and spring would be the time to visit.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

It’s all guesswork at this point but we are going from a former defenseman to a former forward as our head coach. We just brought in a former 3 time NHL 40+ goal scorer who would take 300 shots a year as an assistant coach. I have a feeling things might open up just a little bit, just in time for Barzal’s contract season. I’m expecting 90+ points

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Why not cut his balls off too.

Really beautiful - ocean and Mountains - tall trees. I live on Vancouver Island (which is magical) so a long ferry ride away from the city.

Too rainy in the winter but summer and spring would be the time to visit.
I've heard it's pretty a cosmopolitan city. The pics and videos I've seen are majestic looking. Quite a difference from the concrete jungle of NY where I grew up. Don't think I'll ever get out there but would have liked to in my younger days

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It’s all guesswork at this point but we are going from a former defenseman to a former forward as our head coach. We just brought in a former 3 time NHL 40+ goal scorer who would take 300 shots a year as an assistant coach. I have a feeling things might open up just a little bit, just in time for Barzal’s contract season. I’m expecting 90+ points
Really great point about Johnny Mac. Hopefully he can help with some tweaks and adjustments. Forgot he came on board for a minute there!

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'm excited about Raty as well, but can we pump the brakes on this kid a bit?

A couple WJC games is one thing, but let's wait until he's actually played an NHL game or 20 before breaking out all the hyperbole...
True. Don't want to sound like other fans in Gotham hyping every kid they draft it feels like. Let's raty develop and get
some pro lumps

Reactions: JKP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad