Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He hired a guy that made the most of a roster he did very little to improve on. Then fired that guy.

Again acting like there is this ultimatum, spend on tickets or we are leaving is a trash tactic.

Which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Don't forget that that guy's team in year 4 of his bench time looked like a shell of itself in comparison to the years before despite being largely the same team.

There's a reason why it's understood within the coaching fraternity that it rarely works with any one team for more than three years.

BUT it also means that the new guy is on the very very hot seat, because a repeat of last season or even a slight improvement that maybe gets us a 1-and-done playoff visit will likely mean it's time to take another route with the GM.

Lou's way can't lead to a lack of competitiveness two years running. He's already invested much of the franchise's future in his current product.

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal and Seph

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
welcome aboard! Got something for you to chew on: Ready? ... It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat.
Oldie but goodie 2m

I also like a little song/ a little dance/ a little seltzer/ down your pants

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He hired a guy that made the most of a roster he did very little to improve on. Then fired that guy.

Again acting like there is this ultimatum, spend on tickets or we are leaving is a trash tactic.
I don’t know why you’re getting your panties bunched up about my post. I’m simply pointing out that a lack of box office support is typical of Isles fans, and nobody is guaranteed a team doesn’t pick up and leave one day. Especially one like the Islanders.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Don't forget that that guy's team in year 4 of his bench time looked like a shell of itself in comparison to the years before despite being largely the same team.

There's a reason why it's understood within the coaching fraternity that it rarely works with any one team for more than three years.

BUT it also means that the new guy is on the very very hot seat, because a repeat of last season or even a slight improvement that maybe gets us a 1-and-done playoff visit will likely mean it's time to take another route with the GM.

Lou's way can't lead to a lack of competitiveness two years running. He's already invested much of the franchises future in his current product.
I’m hoping for the best and expecting less.

Lou can do significant damage on his way out. Kadri will make the Isles slightly better in the short term and almost certainly worse thereafter, potentially much worse with time. Worse due to declining productivity and more importantly worse due to handcuffing the franchise’s cap space. Add to that a potential sell low moment on Beau or adding some of our limited assets to a trade of Bailey.

Thankfully Raty looks like a top 6 keeper. Maybe I’m getting a little ahead of myself on that one.

I’m ok with taking a pass on Kadri and using the cap space to lock up Dobson. Tread water for the next year or two and we’ll be way better off after that.

I don’t think Lou has that perspective.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I’m hoping for the best and expecting less.

Lou can do significant damage on his way out. Kadri will make the Isles slightly better in the short term and almost certainly worse thereafter, potentially much worse with time. Worse due to declining productivity and more importantly worse due to handcuffing the franchise’s cap space. Add to that a potential sell low moment on Beau or adding some of our limited assets to a trade of Bailey.

Thankfully Raty looks like a top 6 keeper. Maybe I’m getting a little ahead of myself on that one.

I’m ok with taking a pass on Kadri and using the cap space to lock up Dobson. Tread water for the next year or two and we’ll be way better off after that.

I don’t think Lou has that perspective.

Every year we do nothing, this team will get worse. We have guys like Nelson, Bailey, Lee, Palmieri, Parise, Pageau, etc. who are all past their prime. They are a huge part of this team and they will get worse every year. The time to compete is now. Not wait and see and hope something turns up next year.

I'm not necessarily saying overpaying Kadri is the answer, but doing nothing and waiting does not seem like the answer either. Lou is in a tough spot, and there will be drawbacks with either path.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Lou left the Devils in shambles after not having any success there for a while. It's kinda scary.

Lou is with us now and to his credit he did some good things with the roster Garth gave him. He hired a great coach who was able to take them far, but who's message eventually got stale, like many do after a few years. But as one of the posters put it - it's essentially +90% Garths team still to this day.

Anyway, this is a pivotal moment in Lous tenure as GM. I'm just hoping he doesn't take us down the same road he took Jersey down towards the end of his time there.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Again barry didnt wanna coach past this year. As evidenced by the fact that he turned down 2 jobs this year. He wasnt "fired".
He said on McCown’s podcast he does want to coach again. He was expecting to coach the Isles this year. He’ll look at options mid season if any present themselves. But he was presented an opportunity to take a year off and he decided to do that. I do believe he was fired.

Reactions: Mike C

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Every year we do nothing, this team will get worse. We have guys like Nelson, Bailey, Lee, Palmieri, Parise, Pageau, etc. who are all past their prime. They are a huge part of this team and they will get worse every year. The time to compete is now. Not wait and see and hope something turns up next year.

I'm not necessarily saying overpaying Kadri is the answer, but doing nothing and waiting does not seem like the answer either. Lou is in a tough spot, and there will be drawbacks with either path.
Devil’s advocate

First off, I don’t believe all those players you listed are past their prime.

In one year Bailey’s contract will be way easier to move. Varly will be off the books and Martin will have only one year left at $1.5M though he could retire, go LTIR or have the contract buried in the AHL. Cal will go LTIR (just kidding, sort of). Barzal and Sorokin will need new deals. Perhaps we collect assets for Mayfield and/or Varly.

Raty may be a regular next year along with Holmstrom and Durandeau (less likely). Maybe Salo, Bolduc and Hutton fill out the third D pairing. We could get an upside surprise from one or more players in Bridgeport.

I agree passing on Kadri makes us less competitive next year. Even with him, we’re a long shot to win the Cup. Fast forward another 2 years and he’ll be an anchor dragging down the maneuverability of the franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seph

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Devil’s advocate

First off, I don’t believe all those players you listed are past their prime.

In one year Bailey’s contract will be way easier to move. Varly will be off the books and Martin will have only one year left at $1.5M though he could retire, go LTIR or have the contract buried in the AHL. Cal will go LTIR (just kidding, sort of). Barzal and Sorokin will need new deals. Perhaps we collect assets for Mayfield and/or Varly.

Raty may be a regular next year along with Holmstrom and Durandeau (less likely). Maybe Salo, Bolduc and Hutton fill out the third D pairing. We could get an upside surprise from one or more players in Bridgeport.

I agree passing on Kadri makes us less competitive next year. Even with him, we’re a long shot to win the Cup. Fast forward another 2 years and he’ll be an anchor dragging down the maneuverability of the franchise.
Some solid optimism. I love it!! :)

Reactions: The Real JT

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He said on McCown’s podcast he does want to coach again. He was expecting to coach the Isles this year. He’ll look at options mid season if any present themselves. But he was presented an opportunity to take a year off and he decided to do that. I do believe he was fired.

Trotz himself said he'd have been doing a team (ie., any team) a disservice if he coached this year. That would therefore include the Isles. So, maybe Lou saw that and did the Isles (and Trotz) a favor and let him go (or "fired" if you prefer).

"Trotz told NHL.com he plans to take some time away from the game to be with his family.

“I’ve got some things personally that I’ve got to take care of, family-wise that I’ve got to take care of,” Trotz told the website. “I didn’t feel … if I’d said I’ll take the job, I think I would have done any team a little bit of a disservice and myself a disservice because to be a coach in the NHL, it is demanding and it requires your all. It just does, emotionally it just does, mentally it just does. So I couldn’t go down that path."

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Trotz himself said he'd have been doing a team (ie., any team) a disservice if he coached this year. That would therefore include the Isles. So, maybe Lou saw that and did the Isles (and Trotz) a favor and let him go (or "fired" if you prefer).

"Trotz told NHL.com he plans to take some time away from the game to be with his family.

“I’ve got some things personally that I’ve got to take care of, family-wise that I’ve got to take care of,” Trotz told the website. “I didn’t feel … if I’d said I’ll take the job, I think I would have done any team a little bit of a disservice and myself a disservice because to be a coach in the NHL, it is demanding and it requires your all. It just does, emotionally it just does, mentally it just does. So I couldn’t go down that path."

Not that it really matters anymore but I think it's possible Barry came to that conclusion after he was fired and that he would have been ready willing and able to coach us this season

What's done is done and I expect we'll see him back behind a bench sooner or later

Reactions: impaaaaaact and JKP

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Not that it really matters anymore but I think it's possible Barry came to that conclusion after he was fired and that he would have been ready willing and able to coach us this season

What's done is done and I expect we'll see him back behind a bench sooner or later
It matters. He basically said he wasn't in a good place to coach this year and needed to take care of some personal stuff. That would have still been the case if he hadn't been fired by the Isles. And maybe that was the case last year with the Isles. They sure played like there was a disconnect.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It matters. He basically said he wasn't in a good place to coach this year and needed to take care of some personal stuff. That would have still been the case if he hadn't been fired by the Isles. And maybe that was the case last year with the Isles. They sure played like there was a disconnect.
I mean it doesn't matter in terms of was he or wasn't he fired. Bottom line is he isn't here anymore. God Bless the owners if they allowed him to get his head together with 4 mil of their money

I find it hard to believe that players stopped playing hard because Barry was having issues.

Maybe you are correct bit I still think he might have come to the realization after he was dismissed as the interview process played out and the commitment of taking on a new situation vs staying on familiar turf was evident.

I dont know man, just my gut feeling and 2 centabos worth, but certainly recognize your assessment may be on target.

Maybe Barry will write a tell all one day!

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Go listen the 30 minute interview he did with McCown. He said was planning and preparing to coach the Isles this year. Lou fired him. He then decided to take the year off.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Except that any professional GM literally gets paid to know which path is best...And then fully execute on that path. When you add it all up, compared to that 2020 semi-finals not sure this team is materially better (even with Kadri), and we've replaced a hall of fame coach...With a coach who's about to coach his first ever game.

I don't know if Lou can lead this team to a Cup in the next 2-3 years, but if he can't, given the age of this overall roster, a rebuild will be necessary. And if Lou continues to trade away 1st round picks (and maybe to dump contracts), that rebuild will take even longer.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Except that any professional GM literally gets paid to know which path is best...And then fully execute on that path. When you add it all up, compared to that 2020 semi-finals not sure this team is materially better (even with Kadri), and we've replaced a hall of fame coach...With a coach who's about to coach his first ever game.

I don't know if Lou can lead this team to a Cup in the next 2-3 years, but if he can't, given the age of this overall roster, a rebuild will be necessary. And if Lou continues to trade away 1st round picks (and maybe to dump contracts), that rebuild will take even longer.
In Lou's mind, he thinks this path is best. He said as much when he said he believes in this core. Time will obviously tell if he's right or wrong but I think he thinks he has a direction and is following it. If he's wandering blindly off the path, hopefully that will be addressed by his bosses.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT

Point of order - lambert coached some games last year.

Reactions: Mike C

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Go listen the 30 minute interview he did with McCown. He said was planning and preparing to coach the Isles this year. Lou fired him. He then decided to take the year off.
Right, and I'm not arguing that he wasn't fired. He was fired (or "let go", as I think Lou put it). But then when offered another position, with his hometown team and apparently a few others, he declined and said he wasn't ready to coach. He said he would have been doing a team a disservice. So what if Lou didn't fire him and he stayed on to coach the Isles?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Lou left the Devils in shambles after not having any success there for a while. It's kinda scary.

Lou is with us now and to his credit he did some good things with the roster Garth gave him. He hired a great coach who was able to take them far, but who's message eventually got stale, like many do after a few years. But as one of the posters put it - it's essentially +90% Garths team still to this day.

Anyway, this is a pivotal moment in Lous tenure as GM. I'm just hoping he doesn't take us down the same road he took Jersey down towards the end of his time there.

You really think this is mostly Snow's roster? Tweaks like Pageau, Palmieri, Varlamov, actually bringing Sorokin over, hiring real NHL coaches, drafting Dobson, etc.

I get the hate on Lou for this offseason. I really do. Until they sign Kadri but just my opinion. That being said do you truly think Snow gets this team the distance they went? You cannot possibly think so.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Right, and I'm not arguing that he wasn't fired. He was fired (or "let go", as I think Lou put it). But then when offered another position, with his hometown team and apparently a few others, he declined and said he wasn't ready to coach. He said he would have been doing a team a disservice. So what if Lou didn't fire him and he stayed on to coach the Isles?
Just saying when he was asked point blank by John Shannon, he said he was expecting and planning to coach the Isles again this year and upon his termination rethought:

“Oh, no, I wanted to start, I’ve been ready,” Trotz said. “I think with Lou making that decision, it allowed me to think a little deeper. I know I would have, you know, from my standpoint, would have committed to my contract.”
“I would have been ready for that. I would have took on that challenge full-on but obviously when the change was made it gave me that option to step back and do what I’m doing right now to start.”
“I was actually hoping to start because I had a chip on my shoulder. I felt that you know it was such a bizarre year. That’s a quality organization with Lou at the helm and the ownership there and the quality of players that we have. I felt that we had something, a little bit something to prove so I wanted to get started and I felt that that’s where we probably go but in this business, as you can see, nothing surprises you.”

So my only point was I don't think this was a "hey Lou, can you fire me because I'm worn out" kinda thing. He wasn't looking to go, he was looking to come back and only after he was whacked did it become more a "I've been canned but I'm still getting paid, so maybe I'll take this opportunity to recharge.":

I don’t know if it’s a year. It’s just taking time,” Trotz said. “I think when I started this process, I said, I’m gonna, you know, I’m in no hurry and I really wasn’t in any hurry. I thought, you know, I added it up. I’ve been coaching probably for about 37 straight years without much of a break.”
“Some advice that I got sometimes is that you always think you have time and you really don’t so there’s some things in my life that I need to get done. And I’m gonna get them done this summer. And then I’ll get right back at it.”
Trotz has been an NHL coach for 25 years and being behind the bench is who he is.
“I think it’s part of my DNA, it’s in my blood,” Trotz said. “Without the game, you know, I will, I will miss it. But I didn’t know when I want to get back right back into it. I’m going to be more productive. I’m going to be in a better frame. I’m going to have to be ready to go.”

And, finally, when asked if he saw it coming:

“I got pretty good instincts. I see how things, meetings are run all that with different organizations and it was a little bit different this year so…my spider senses were out there a little bit so but, you know, I left there in good graces,” Trotz said. “I mean, I talked to Lou, I think, I talked to Lou probably, you know, five or six days ago. We’ve got a great relationship. He’s a great person. He treats you very, very well. And I there’s no ill will at all. I just I have total respect.”
“He made a decision, a hockey decision, which he’s paid to do.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad