Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
You'll be waiting a long time for the Isles to put an EA sports ice show out there to be entertaining. Kinda need superstar players - the Isles have '0' of those, can't attract them via UFA, the alternative is to spend years sucking and hoping the draft years yield superstars - because the Isles have a solid helping of 1st rounders on the actual ice now. If you don't like them, then we are playing the game of rolling the dice on the belief the next crop of 1st round picks are different/better? Good luck with that with 5k fans in $1B building.

For example, for the TB lover around here, if TB's 1st rounder 'rebuild' started in 2010 vs. 2008 (yielding Hedman/Stamkos), then that team is nowhere close to a SC team. They have a nice goalie in Vaz (2012), a bunch of busts, and some solid players in the 1st round.

COL got zero out of the 12/13/14 drafts. Yes, they got McKinnon, but that's one player over 3 draft years. In '15 they got Rantanen. So, two players over 4 draft years - that is AWFUL. COL attendance was a ghost town and no one wanted to play there. But, but, but they won in 2022!
They had Landeskog, landed McKinnon in 13, and then Rantanen in 15… where as the islanders flopped on dal colle, Reinhart, Nino, strome… there is a big difference, just because it took them some time doesn’t mean they didn’t have star players

Because after 20 years of fans not paying for tix and voting with their wallets the Islandes almost moved.

For every action there is a reaction.
Funny, there is a whole thread of people pissing and moaning about the fisherman jersey, and how it reminds them of brutal times. Yet you are simultaneously mad that people didn’t pay for tickets during that time. Interesting

Reactions: periferal

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The time to have moved Varly has passed.
There is no deal for Varly.

Likely, Reimer goes to Vegas.

As per the Kadri stuff, the likelihood, the trade is one of Bailey or Beau. My hope is that it is not Beau.

The jets have been very quiet this off-season even more quiet than the Isles. They need help upfront and they have cap space.

Does a Samberg for Beauvillier deal work?

Bailey and a 2023 2nd for Logan Stanley?

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Forget Kadri, Forget Miller....We can still make playoffs with some minor tweaks without killing our future. I think we need to go a little less crazy for this year and if it doesn't work. Hopefully Lou going into a retire home and we get a new GM who can possibly get a sniper for Brazal finally.
It's not flashy at all, but at this point I think this is the way to go.

We just need to get in playoffs and see if our D and Sorokin can carry us

Trade
Vary - $5M
2022 3rd rounder
to
Vegas
2022 1st rounder
G-Brossoit - $2.325M

Trade
Bailey - $5M
Bellows - RFA rights
to
Winnipeg
LD-Dillon - $3.9M
RD-Kovacevic - $766,667K

Sign

RD-Dobson - $6.5 for 8 years
LF-Romanov - $2M for 3 years
RW- Rodrigues - $2.5M for 2 years
RW/LW-Milano - $1.75M for 2 years

Lines

Beau- Brazal - Palmieri
Lee - Nelson - Rodrigues
Milano - Pageau - Wahlstrom
Parise - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Johnston

Defense

Pelech - Pulock
Romanov - Dobson
Dillon - Mayfield
Aho

Goalies
Sorokin
Brossoit

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I like Varly. But having him eat 5M of the cap just to sit back and watch Sorokin carry the mail is a lot when you consider how offensively challenged we are.

I'm not sure he's a luxury we can afford. If the right deal comes around I think Lou needs to take it....but only if it's the right deal.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
They could always flip those 1sts for an NHL'er.
They could always try to sign a premium impact UFA too...

They had Landeskog, landed McKinnon in 13, and then Rantanen in 15… where as the islanders flopped on dal colle, Reinhart, Nino, strome… there is a big difference, just because it took them some time doesn’t mean they didn’t have star players

Funny, there is a whole thread of people pissing and moaning about the fisherman jersey, and how it reminds them of brutal times. Yet you are simultaneously mad that people didn’t pay for tickets during that time. Interesting
They yielded ZERO players in those 4 consecutive draft years, except those two players. That's awful - that's also why Sakic had to trade his way into building the rest of the team and the league turning into Euro hockey last season benefitted them - notice the years it was not run/gun/no defense and crap goaltending, they didn't get too far year over year.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If VGK wants to give up serious assets for Goaltending, then I see a match with Anaheim and John Gibson, who I think would waive to go to Vegas. IMO that is a bolder move.

In a dream scenario, Isles land Hague for Varly- maybe Thompson comes over as well.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If VGK wants to give up serious assets for Goaltending, then I see a match with Anaheim and John Gibson, who I think would waive to go to Vegas. IMO that is a bolder move.

In a dream scenario, Isles land Hague for Varly- maybe Thompson comes over as well.
Do you think they might offer sheet Oettinger?

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

In my dream scenario, our own Thompson (Brent) is also included in the deal.

Reactions: periferal

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don’t think so - Oettinger would have to agree and Dallas does have cap space to match - they do need to sign Robertson too.
Yeah, Dallas has more cap space than Vegas does, so it'd be kinda pointless to even try that route. Though, I do wonder if the Oettinger signing is what's holding up Lou's trade to free up cap space. If Dallas can sign Oettinger for ~5m, they could afford to take a Bailey or Beauvillier, and could use another mid6 winger. No idea if they are interested, but was a thought I've had for a bit now.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Yeah, Dallas has more cap space than Vegas does, so it'd be kinda pointless to even try that route. Though, I do wonder if the Oettinger signing is what's holding up Lou's trade to free up cap space. If Dallas can sign Oettinger for ~5m, they could afford to take a Bailey or Beauvillier, and could use another mid6 winger. No idea if they are interested, but was a thought I've had for a bit now.
No, they need the rest to sign Jason Robertson.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If Lou gets a 1st rounder, then Isles fans will want him to keep it because the 2023 draft is strong and have to always plan for the future in Isles country.

While I doubt Lou trades Varly, having two firsts in 2023 would be beneficial because they could trade one for an upgrade, but retain the other and still have a pick in the draft. It would essentially satisfy both sides. Of course I doubt Lou wants to weaken his goaltending.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That’s not my point at all. My point is why now
are Isles fans still so quick to withhold their support at the box office? This is not those same Islanders, bad owners and poor managements who made mistake after mistake on and off the ice. I’m not angry at those fans for not buying tickets. I don’t blame them at all. But you can’t deny that one of the end results of not being able to draw flies at the box office for decades is the team nearly moved.

I get annoyed with today’s fans who don’t recognize that things are finally the way we should expect a pro team should operate and yet at the first sign of adversity the fans default back to “I’m not paying for this crap.”

Reactions: JKP

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
They could always try to sign a premium impact UFA too...

They yielded ZERO players in those 4 consecutive draft years, except those two players. That's awful - that's also why Sakic had to trade his way into building the rest of the team and the league turning into Euro hockey last season benefitted them - notice the years it was not run/gun/no defense and crap goaltending, they didn't get too far year over year.
Except those two very key players who are massive contributors and crucial to their success….

They also had Duchene and a goalie by the name of Varlamov.

Not sure what the argument here really is, they had a couple rough years while still having elite players who were developing and promising. It took time but there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

I’d rather watch a core of Landeskog/Mac/Rantanen oppose to Lee/Palms/parise and I love Parise

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
That’s not my point at all. My point is why now
are Isles fans still so quick to withhold their support at the box office? This is not those same Islanders, bad owners and poor managements who made mistake after mistake on and off the ice. I’m not angry at those fans for not buying tickets. I don’t blame them at all. But you can’t deny that one of the end results of not being able to draw flies at the box office for decades is the team nearly moved.

I get annoyed with today’s fans who don’t recognize that things are finally the way we should expect a pro team should operate and yet at the first sign of adversity the fans default back to “I’m not paying for this crap.”
First sign of adversity? Dude fired the main ingredient that made this worth while. Hires a first time HC, doesn’t upgrade the roster in any way shape or form outside of Romanov for an overpayment (13th overall). Can’t land a FA to save his life.

This roster is 90% Snows roster. Even the Dobson pick, Lou conceded he let the scouts handle it since since he came in late in the process.

At some point you need to call a spade a spade, Lou hasn’t done a damn thing that worth paying money for.

Don’t blame people for not wanting to spend their budget on a product they don’t endorse, especially with the possibility the team might move. That’s trash leverage.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
First sign of adversity? Dude fired the main ingredient that made this worth while. Hires a first time HC, doesn’t upgrade the roster in any way shape or form outside of Romanov for an overpayment (13th overall). Can’t land a FA to save his life.

This roster is 90% Snows roster. Even the Dobson pick, Lou conceded he let the scouts handle it since since he came in late in the process.

At some point you need to call a spade a spade, Lou hasn’t done a damn thing that worth paying money for.

Don’t blame people for not wanting to spend their budget on a product they don’t endorse, especially with the possibility the team might move. That’s trash leverage.
Realize there’s difference between coming off one bad year and decades of mismanagement. What we have here now in no way resembles the mess this franchise was in the 1990s. Lou hasn’t dome a damn thing in his 4 prior years? I guess he just Forest Gumped his way through his time here. Improvements in record for 3 straight years coming off losing Tavares. Back-to-back trips to the semis. I’d say that’s something.

Spend your money however you want. Vote with your wallet if it makes you feel good. Just remember that for every action there’s a reaction. We almost lost our team once.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

I am not saying I disagree with most of what you wrote, but am I missing something? The team might move? We just opened a new arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad