Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That absolutely factors into the decision tho, why pay for a product you don’t want or is underwhelming?

Fact of the matter it’s a business of entertainment, there is nothing entertaining about the roster Lou is constructing.
You'll be waiting a long time for the Isles to put an EA sports ice show out there to be entertaining. Kinda need superstar players - the Isles have '0' of those, can't attract them via UFA, the alternative is to spend years sucking and hoping the draft years yield superstars - because the Isles have a solid helping of 1st rounders on the actual ice now. If you don't like them, then we are playing the game of rolling the dice on the belief the next crop of 1st round picks are different/better? Good luck with that with 5k fans in $1B building.

For example, for the TB lover around here, if TB's 1st rounder 'rebuild' started in 2010 vs. 2008 (yielding Hedman/Stamkos), then that team is nowhere close to a SC team. They have a nice goalie in Vaz (2012), a bunch of busts, and some solid players in the 1st round.

COL got zero out of the 12/13/14 drafts. Yes, they got McKinnon, but that's one player over 3 draft years. In '15 they got Rantanen. So, two players over 4 draft years - that is AWFUL. COL attendance was a ghost town and no one wanted to play there. But, but, but they won in 2022!

Last edited:

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I will still be shocked to see Lou, who for 30 years has always stressed building from the net out, trade Varley. He pays less for Varley and Sorokin than TBL pay for their starting goalie.

My guess is he’s perfectly OK with the value he gets for that investment and has no interest in changing it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That absolutely factors into the decision tho, why pay for a product you don’t want or is underwhelming?

Fact of the matter it’s a business of entertainment, there is nothing entertaining about the roster Lou is constructing.
Because after 20 years of fans not paying for tix and voting with their wallets the Islandes almost moved.

For every action there is a reaction.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Varlamov for Hague. Another young big defenseman with upside. Defense would be ridiculous. Would have to find another decent backup goalie.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Everyone knows our cap situation, I think we’d get something more like Brossoit at 50% and a third… and I think you take that
Our cap situation doesn't come in play here. Vegas has a pressing need for a goalie- we don't "want" to trade him (Varlamov); Lou has made that abundantly clear. We would have the leverage here all the way....

We aren't having to take on any money if we send him their way. Now, we might not get a 1st rounder, but we are definitely clearing the full 5 million.

If Vegas wants to get some more cap room (arguably they needed to before this news broke) then we are even at a bigger advantage

Reactions: Glorydays22

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Terrible for Robin. I would happily take a first for Varly now though

Clueless Lou played hardball wit neck tattoo guy. Gave him 10 minutes to take it or leave it. :madfire:

I think the Isles, particularly Mitch Korn had an inkling Lehner’s big body would never last through a long term contract.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
how much cap do you think we are in trouble for if Kadri is signed?

we have 11.1 in cap space
7 for Kadri if it's true (leaves us with 4.1)
I feel Dobson will get a bridge so it won't be much still a few mill
Romanov is not getting as much and doesn't have much leverage
Bellows league minimum or sent in a trade?

So possibly over by 4-6 mill maybe?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Our cap situation doesn't come in play here. Vegas has a pressing need for a goalie- we don't "want" to trade him (Varlamov); Lou has made that abundantly clear. We would have the leverage here all the way....

We aren't having to take on any money if we send him their way. Now, we might not get a 1st rounder, but we are definitely clearing the full 5 million.

If Vegas wants to get some more cap room (arguably they needed to before this news broke) then we are even at a bigger advantage

There is no situation where we clear the full 5M as we are not going to go with Skarek as a backup. There is no one available on the FA market. Brossoit at 50% and a second or third gains us the cap space we need and partially plugs the hole left by Varlamov. However we are almost certainly getting worse with that trade and moving a forward to get the cap space makes much more sense.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
This would be a coup, but if I’m Vegas there’s no way I’m considering that for one year of an aging goalie

You may be right, havent watched enough of Hague to fairly gauge his value. Maube Varly+Salo for Hague.

Either way im sure something could be worked out that benefits both teams.

Id love a 1st round pick, but im noy sure that is realistic.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
There is no situation where we clear the full 5M as we are not going to go with Skarek as a backup. There is no one available on the FA market. Brossoit at 50% and a second or third gains us the cap space we need and partially plugs the hole left by Varlamov. However, we are almost certainly getting worse with that trade.
In any trade and we are likely asking for Thompson and not Brossoit back and he makes peanuts. We DO NOT under any realm of imagination have to take back salary if they come calling us to try and pry Varlamov away....

Lou should and imagine would (especially if he is looking to clear space for Kadri or already has him signed) insist on the full cap savings; again since he has made it ABUNDANLTY CLEAR he doesn't want to move him...

We would have little interest in Brossoit unless his medicals are advanced enough to know he would be an option, so yes we would look ELSEWHERE (if they wanted to keep Thompson), but EITHER WAY the trade should and would net us close to 5 million in cap....(4.3 if Thompson is included)

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
I think the chance Lou trades Varly at this point is almost 0, given the fact that he hasn't been traded yet after the crazy goalie market we saw this summer. A steady Sorokin + a bounce back Varly is probably the best goalie tandem in the league. Lou knows that, knows he has a strong defense, and knows if these two guys are on their game this team has the ability to be in it for a W every night if they manage some offense. I doubt he guts one of his biggest position strengths. If he is trying to shed cap for a Kadri or some other unknown move he will just burn as many future picks as he needs to. The team is in win-now mode and isn't going to get rid of any positive impact players like a Varly.

Reactions: Throttle and JKP

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
OK, Isles trade Varly, who is the backup or 1b for NYI?
They know Varly will be gone by next year anyway, so I'm sure Korn has had his eye on potential replacements. There are probably a few current backups or prospects that he knows he can work his magic and make into a solid goalie.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
You may be right, havent watched enough of Hague to fairly gauge his value. Maube Varly+Salo for Hague.

Either way im sure something could be worked out that benefits both teams.

Id love a 1st round pick, but im noy sure that is realistic.

If Lou could work something like Varlamov and Salo for Hague and Brossoit at 50% I'm all in. Cutting it pretty close here but...
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.38.42 AM.png

EDIT: sorry, forgot to move Hague to the top 6. The trade was Varlamov, Salo, and Panic for Hague and Brossoit at 50%

Reactions: WangMustGo

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
They know Varly will be gone by next year anyway, so I'm sure Korn has had his eye on potential replacements. There are probably a few current backups or prospects that he knows he can work his magic and make into a solid goalie.
Do they know? He's a 35'er, at most he gets a Fleury deal of $3.5M p/yr 2 yrs. That's digestable for the Isles and him.

Also, I'm asking this board that so easily wants to toss Varly over the fence to weaken one critical strength of this team who would be the backup or 1b to Sorokin?

Reactions: JKP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad