Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The team has 3 RFAs and still needs to sign someone. This could be a giant nothing burger.

Correct. It's just when the only GM in North American sports keeps even the most minor and basic transactions more secretive than the CIA, you can understand why the public might make a big deal about something that should be so average.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No doubt this team is about winning now.

Anyone wishing for things to be scrapped and rebuilt NOW is living in his own dream world.

That ain't happening. It ain't happening with Lou as the GM either.

Despite all our frustration with the lack of certainty about this roster and what it'll look like in September, whatever Lou decides, it's about winning now.

All very true. The bigger question really is...

Can Lou lead this specific team/roster to another Stanley Cup?

Because if not then we're just wasting time and prolonging pain. Of course some will say no and some will say, "definitely," but at some point for sure time will catch up with a 79 year old GM given the demands of the job.

What I believe is that Lou has made some very questionable moves that if he didn't have "his name," many more here would be questioning him.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Correct. It's just when the only GM in North American sports keeps even the most minor and basic transactions more secretive than the CIA, you can understand why the public might make a big deal about something that should be so average.

I don't think Weekesy is dropping a "The Islanders Signed their RFAs" bomb. If I had to guess, it's probably more like the defensive RFA signings, the Kadri signing, and a Bailey + Bellows trade somewhere. RFA signings aren't enough to get him out of bed

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I know what most feel about Botta around here, but I think he's on point about the signings vs trades (not that 1 or 2 will be coming at some point)...

Reactions: xECK29x

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Cool, the fans have already spoken they will not show up and pay season tickets (or tickets generally) for that. The Isles do not yet have a corporate-subsidized fanbase either. Those 'die hards' will find every excuse why not to go.
Sadly this is typical of our fanbase. They look for any excuse not to buy tickets.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think there's a difference between "intangibles" and your team dominating possession whenever you're on the ice - and that hasn't just been for 1 year. I'll say it again, it's not about how many points you score, but how many points you score versus the other team. Kadri's lines have outscored other teams by about a 3-2 margin for the last 6 years. To me that is certainly worth 7M+View attachment 576170

View attachment 576167
This franchise has had less than a handful stars for the past two decades that we don’t even know what they look like anymore. :sarcasm:

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
People will adapt favorably to Kadri, he will be an enforcer, an agitator and the first time he sends someone flying, the fans will say "wow, glad we got THIS guy"
Why do people keep saying this? Kadri is not even close to an enforcer, an agitator yes, but not an enforcer. He is basically a Clutterbuck with much better offensive skills.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Why do people keep saying this? Kadri is not even close to an enforcer, an agitator yes, but not an enforcer. He is basically a Clutterbuck with much better offensive skills.
I think he'll mix it up, stick up for his mates, get people back for the Subban on Wahlstrom type checks, etc....maybe not a drop the gloves type of enforcer ,but make his presence felt in his own way

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I could be wrong....but we all were/are looking for that sniper, that goal scorer.....and hell, would love it. But maybe....just maybe...Kadri s actually what we need. Maybe we don't get what we want, but what we need.

I really need to stop listening to The Stones while i read the board.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think he'll mix it up, stick up for his mates, get people back for the Subban on Wahlstrom type checks, etc....maybe not a drop the gloves type of enforcer ,but make his presence felt in his own way
If we go into next season with the 2 big additions being Kadri and Romanov... I'm always a big fan of being harder to play against. It is a contact sport. If the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup, it's going to be very difficult to out-talent COL. However, you might be able to wear them down with defense, goaltending, hitting and a balanced attack.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I could be wrong....but we all were/are looking for that sniper, that goal scorer.....and hell, would love it. But maybe....just maybe...Kadri s actually what we need. Maybe we don't get what we want, but what we need.

I really need to stop listening to The Stones while i read the board.
Probably better to just get stoned!

• Haha
Reactions: Lek

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The Black Cherry rules - possibly the world's best soda.

Cel-Ray? I've never tried it. Celery flavored soda? We had a few cans on the shelf growing up, and when we moved they were still there.
Dr. Brown's is great. The Cel-ray is delicious. Slightly sweetened celery soda.

Reactions: doublechili

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Black Cherry rules - possibly the world's best soda.

Cel-Ray? I've never tried it. Celery flavored soda? We had a few cans on the shelf growing up, and when we moved they were still there.
That may be my favorite post of the year.

As for the Cel-Ray, I don’t think people got high back then but they were probably fall down drunk when they came up with that asinine idea.

A close second is this candy which apparently, and for unknown reasons, is still available online.

70671622-77EA-4ED8-8B88-AEE3C9D69D3F.jpeg

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What the purpose of not reporting the deals? Literally, no one else doing that. It means it has no value. Why Lou is like that?

right now most likely for cap purposes for trades

Except for one massive thing...

Lou is the only one that thinks that works.

Think about it...Everyone in NHL circles knows that Kadri is an Islander. So that means they know if Lou offers them Beauvillier or Bailey that other GM knows the leverage he has on Lou.

This isn't 1995 where you *may* have the chance of keeping some things secret. Thanks to technology, everyone has a constantly updating encyclopedia in the palm of their hands. Lou is truly from another era and doesn't seem to understand this and is using 20th century tactics (that probably didn't work then), just look out of touch in 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad