Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
For all case and purposes, Kadri is a 6 million center. Even with his career season he doesn't average over 60 points per82....period.

It comes as no surprise whatsoever he is the last UFA standing, because signing him at the number he wants based on a single out of norm season meant he was the FA to AVOID...

Sure, you want to drink the kool-aid and expect him to put up similar numbers here, pay him his 8 million for a limited amount of years (2x8 or 3x8), or if you want him longer then give him his 4 (7.5) or 5 years (7). But since he is turning 32 at the start of the season, if you are going 6 or 7 years with him, then you SHOULD NOT PAY A CAREER 24-33-57 performer more than 6 million per....period. <and yes that is with his career year totaled in there>

ESPECIALLY this late in the offseason when cap space is at a minimum (especially with contending teams) and no one is even remotely interested in giving him the number he is looking for (for a single year of top line production) or those 7 years that will have him signed through his age-38 season....

It really isn't rocket science guys...

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
You implied as much sure.

It is why you used Nelson's 22% shooting "maintaining" insane comment and used the 6 year comparison between the two (so you can get Kadri's back to back and ONLY 30+ goal seasons) instead of a more recent 3 or 4 year model where Nelson's production beats Kadri, even with his career season.

Sure, you came back from that with bolded irrelevant Corsi and other numbers, that didn't at all correspond with your implied comment before.

I mean why say anything about Brock's shooting percentage last year if that wasn't what you were implying???

No, nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, I just don't play stupid...
Lol dude, this is the last you’ll hear from me. I said Kadri was twice as effective - no need to imply anything, I plainly stated my case and gave supporting data. I brought up Nelson’s unsustainable shooting% in an effort to zoom out from a one season sample size.

I used a 6 year sample size at first to get 3 years from two separate teams, but after your whining I posted Nelson’s for the last 4 and all of Kadri’s. Don’t know what else to tell you. Kadri outpaced the rest of his Stanley cup winning roster by like 25% during the playoffs last year. He’s good. Hope you’ll enjoy having him

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Lol dude, this is the last you’ll hear from me. I said Kadri was twice as effective - no need to imply anything, I plainly stated my case and gave supporting data. I brought up Nelson’s unsustainable shooting% in an effort to zoom out from a one season sample size.

I used a 6 year sample size at first to get 3 years from two separate teams, but after your whining I posted Nelson’s for the last 4 and all of Kadri’s. Don’t know what else to tell you. Kadri outpaced the rest of his Stanley cup winning roster by like 25% during the playoffs last year. He’s good. Hope you’ll enjoy having him
Ya, double down but that had more to do with his team and system than it did his individual performance, his heroics in the SC notwithstanding and it DID NOT LEAD to more offensive production from HIM in 3 of those 4 seasons. Individually he did not "outproduce" Brock when it came to goals... Kadri's team was more effective sure and he was a big part of that (but even twice is a big stretch and insane suggestion)

Can't really believe your response about "zooming out one season" on why you brought up Nelson's 22% shooting percentage either, when you said it had to be "maintained" for him to be half as effective as Kadri.

Nah, I call BS lol

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Ya, double down but that had more to do with his team and system than it did his individual performance, his heroics in the SC notwithstanding and it DID NOT LEAD to more offensive production from HIM in 3 of those 4 seasons. Individually he did not "outproduce" Brock when it came to goals... Kadri's team was more effective sure and he was a big part of that (but even twice is a big stretch and insane suggestion)

Can't really believe your response about "zooming out one season" on why you brought up Nelson's 22% shooting percentage either, when you said it had to be "maintained" for him to be half as effective as Kadri.

Nah, I call BS lol
just wondering, what do you think I have to gain by being disingenuous? just a fan here who wants the best For My New York Islanders

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
In true Lou fashion, watch one of those transactions come out of nowhere. Something no one predicted.

Reactions: Mike C

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
just wondering, what do you think I have to gain by being disingenuous? just a fan here who wants the best For My New York Islanders
Wasn't saying you were being disingenuous, just wrong.

I wouldn't mind Kadri for a reasonable price, especially this late in the process where we failed yet again to get an actual difference maker.

Kadri is not a difference maker. He is a very good player and I would like to have him but not as an overpay. He is a 6 million 2C and I have no problem giving him more than that for a shorter term deal.

He is NOT worth 7 million OVER A SEVEN YEAR period under any realm of imagination, especially (I repeat) at this late in the process....

I hope Lou passes rather than commit to that...

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Why don’t we ever get UFAs? :madfire::madfire:

Why would we ever pay so much for Kadri?! :madfire::madfire:

Do we not see the dichotomy here…?

I dont think anyone here would complain if we signed and overpaid for Johnny G but Kadri is not on that level. We are a middle of a recession...Hey guys wanna buy season tickets to come see Nazem Kadri?? Are you kidding me? I would rather eat the season, bring up the kids, dump the dead weight FA's at the end of the year. Clean house and then go shopping from there. At least then I can say ok this team has a plan. We need to get younger but hey lock in a 32 yr old.

Talk to me in 5 years when he is 37 and his contract is unmovable and we cant sign anyone or have to trade a Devon Toews type player to clear space or trade our picks cause no one will take that contract as is.

Last edited:

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Wasn't saying you were being disingenuous, just wrong.

I wouldn't mind Kadri for a reasonable price, especially this late in the process where we failed yet again to get an actual difference maker.

Kadri is not a difference maker. He is a very good player and I would like to have him but not as an overpay. He is a 6 million 2C and I have no problem giving him more than that for a shorter term deal.

He is NOT worth 7 million OVER A SEVEN YEAR period under any realm of imagination, especially (I repeat) at this late in the process....

I hope Lou passes rather than commit to that...
For all we know he was signed in the first day or two. Lamoriello and Kadri have a prior relationship. I'd actually say that's much more likely given his status in this year's FA crop.

Furthermore, Your "60 point players are worth 6M and 70 point players are worth 7M and 80 point players are worth 8M" analysis just completely disregards 2 way impact altogether. Pretty incredible to have watched the playoffs this year and take from that that Kadri isn't a difference maker.

Nah, I call BS lol

that is... exactly what calling someone disingenuous is lmao. can't wait to read the next post!

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Sayitaintso offers the most ludacris and hilarious takes. Yet he will be the first one to get a Kadri jersey the moment he looks good. Funniest part is he is acting like he personally will be on the hook for the 6th and 7th years of the deal, and that a contract is not moveable in a cap league with a salary floor. Insanity, but please keep making me laugh, its been a fun read.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I would rather eat the season, bring up the kids, dump the dead weight FA's at the end of the year. Clean house and then go shopping from there. At least then I can say ok this team has a plan.
Cool, the fans have already spoken they will not show up and pay season tickets (or tickets generally) for that. The Isles do not yet have a corporate-subsidized fanbase either. Those 'die hards' will find every excuse why not to go.

Also, the Isles also brought up the kids already, who is missing?

And waste a season to flip Mayfield, Varly, and Parise at the deadline for maybe some collection of a 1st/2nds + another lotto pick for the future in 2028, yeah baby! Next year's draft is much stronger, which means GMs do not want to move 1st rounders - they may, but you are getting a pick in 20+ for contender.

The team is the closest it's been in 30+ years of having a shot at winning. It may not be a consistent 5-10 years (that requires a Crosby-like player the Isles do not have), but right now the chips are going in, the owner wants that for his $1B investment, remember Isles fans wanted a new building?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Cool, the fans have already spoken they will not show up and pay season tickets (or tickets generally) for that. The Isles do not yet have a corporate-subsidized fanbase either. Those 'die hards' will find every excuse why not to go.

And waste a season to flip Mayfield, Varly, and Parise at the deadline for maybe some collection of a 1st/2nds + another lotto pick for the future in 2028, yeah baby! Next year's draft is much stronger, which means GMs do not want to move 1st rounders - they may, but you are getting a pick in 20+ for contender.

The team is the closest it's been in 30+ years of having a shot at winning. It may not be a consistent 5-10 years (that requires a Crosby-like player the Isles do not have), but right now the chips are going in, the owner wants that for his $1B investment, remember Isles fans wanted a new building?
Amen.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
For all we know he was signed in the first day or two. Lamoriello and Kadri have a prior relationship. I'd actually say that's much more likely given his status in this year's FA crop.

Furthermore, Your "60 point players are worth 6M and 70 point players are worth 7M and 80 point players are worth 8M" analysis just completely disregards 2 way impact altogether. Pretty incredible to have watched the playoffs this year and take from that that Kadri isn't a difference maker.

that is... exactly what calling someone disingenuous is lmao. can't wait to read the next post!
Sure, whatever you want to call it....to answer your question then I have no idea why you are being disingenuous then. My guess is you are wanting us to add someone even if it means overpaying. There is no argument from me that Kadri would help this team, he would without a doubt for a couple of seasons anyway.

I doubt he signed the first day or two, the latest reports dont have him inked at all but rather an offer being sent by us being probable while still talking to other teams. "More than likely" is a real stretch....especially when several reports have come out that his want was 8 or 9 million- something even Lou isn't stupid enough to grant him, unless it is a small deal.

And no, I am not going to base someone on being a difference maker just on a simple playoffs and disregard 12 seasons where he was a 52 pt per 82 player..... With that argument, Beauvillier should have gotten way more than 4.1 per after netting 14 goals and 13 assists in TWO postseasons (41 games).

No, I have said I would pay him over his career 56 pt career and give him 7 million on a short term deal, so I WOULD BE PAYING HIM MORE THAN THE 5.6 million he is worth using your blanket analysis. I am NOT however paying him 1.4 million more over a 7 year contract. Let's be honest about what each other are saying, ok?

Sayitaintso offers the most ludacris and hilarious takes. Yet he will be the first one to get a Kadri jersey the moment he looks good. Funniest part is he is acting like he personally will be on the hook for the 6th and 7th years of the deal, and that a contract is not moveable in a cap league with a salary floor. Insanity, but please keep making me laugh, its been a fun read.
that response was ludicrous...

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I dont think anyone here would complain if we signed and overpaid for Johnny G but Kadri is not on that level. We are a middle of a recession...Hey guys wanna buy season tickets to come see Nazem Kadri?? Are you kidding me? I would rather eat the season, bring up the kids, dump the dead weight FA's at the end of the year. Clean house and then go shopping from there. At least then I can say ok this team has a plan. We need to get younger but hey lock in a 32 yr old.

Talk to me in 5 years when he is 37 and his contract is unmovable and we cant sign anyone or have to trade a Devon Toews type player to clear space or trade our picks cause no one will take that contract as is.
exactly...

Reactions: Glorydays22

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

I for one hate going to any live sporting event. I used to love it as a kid but as an adult, I see it as money wasted and I personally will never fault anyone for not going to games.

I'd like to see Dufour and Raty get ice time and see what they can do but then we will hear about how we cant rush the youth blah blah blah.

This team WAS close at a shot at winning. that window ended the minute the league thought it would be a great idea to force a semi pro squad to continuously play during the sniffles outbreak so we can all play in our shiney new arena.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
No doubt this team is about winning now.

Anyone wishing for things to be scrapped and rebuilt NOW is living in his own dream world.

That ain't happening. It ain't happening with Lou as the GM either.

Despite all our frustration with the lack of certainty about this roster and what it'll look like in September, whatever Lou decides, it's about winning now.

Reactions: Glory Days and JKP

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
No doubt this team is about winning now.

Anyone wishing for things to be scrapped and rebuilt NOW is living in his own dream world.

That ain't happening. It ain't happening with Lou as the GM either.

Despite all our frustration with the lack of certainty about this roster and what it'll look like in September, whatever Lou decides, it's about winning now.

I will root hard for this team to do exactly that. I think everyone here feels the same. We want to win. I want to see how we can right this disaster of last season off and respond back but dont expect me to doll our 120 dollars on a Nazem Kadri fishstick jersey and say "this is gonna be our year" Not after firing of our coach and the holes this team has. The Metro division is not easy and we cant half ass it and pray that we can squeak in.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Just for fun I made a team having us sign all three of the top available offensive UFAs. Cone of silence and all. Honestly, don't hate it!
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 1.17.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 1.17.28 PM.png

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If there is a trade agreed upon that’s been “hush” for a awhile then that’s kind of a dick move. Assuming the players involve don’t know ,waiting until the last minute before training camp is inconsiderate to the players and families.

Guys have to relocate and move their families around. Get to know their new area, facilities, teammates.

I just find it so hard to believe that there is trades agreed upon for over a month and guys keep it this quiet.

Especially when there clearly is no advantage in doing so.

Lou has great respect around the league but he’s an odd ball for sure.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If there is a trade agreed upon that’s been “hush” for a awhile then that’s kind of a dick move. Assuming the players involve don’t know ,waiting until the last minute before training camp is inconsiderate to the players and families.

Guys have to relocate and move their families around. Get to know their new area, facilities, teammates.

I just find it so hard to believe that there is trades agreed upon for over a month and guys keep it this quiet.

Especially when there clearly is no advantage in doing so.

Lou has great respect around the league but he’s an odd ball for sure.

Lou has the power to be hush hush about RFA signings and even UFA signings.

He does not have the power to ensure that a trade that has been made is hush hush. The minute the trade is registered by the NHL, it becomes public knowledge.

And other teams aren't gonna be quiet about moves just because requests them to be either.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
has that been reported?

I take it back!

I am incorrect!!!

They have not officially signed him.

My bad. Trying to find out where I saw this information, but it's definitely not verified.

Pardon me.

Where was this reported ?

I mean just an hour ago… would be bold to suggest singing a guy who is already signed elsewhere.

My bad. I am mistaken.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lou has the power to be hush hush about RFA signings and even UFA signings.

He does not have the power to ensure that a trade that has been made is hush hush. The minute the trade is registered by the NHL, it becomes public knowledge.

And other teams aren't gonna be quiet about moves just because requests them to be either.

That’s why I said specifically “ I just find it so hard to believe that there is trades agreed upon for over a month and guys keep it this quiet.”

People are suggesting there are agreed upon trades. You don’t have to register them with the league theoretically and just agree upon them. But that makes no sense. You’re risking guys getting hurt during training and other things that can make a deal fall apart.

My point is, just like you Said, I don’t believe there are any trades already set in stone. Maybe conversations but nothing done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad