Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So my only point was I don't think this was a "hey Lou, can you fire me because I'm worn out" kinda thing.
I don't think that was the case at all. He was fired. My only point is that events since that time, combined with the obvious disconnect with the Isles last year, makes me think it's probably for the best that Trotz is not coaching the team this year. He may have thought he was ready, but since then it seems like he realized he really wasn't.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I don't think that was the case at all. He was fired. My only point is that events since that time, combined with the obvious disconnect with the Isles last year, makes me think it's probably for the best that Trotz is not coaching the team this year. He may have thought he was ready, but since then it seems like he realized he really wasn't.
That's fair!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It must have been really bad shambles, because 7 years later and the Devils still stink.
And somewhere the middle he restored the 'in shambles' Leafs to where the 'younger' guy has not advanced the cause since he left. That's pretty incredible, yet Lou went 3/4 years of playoffs, 2 B2B conference finals, and some GM hardware recognized by his peers in the SAME time frame. Isles fans have never seen anything like this since the early 80's - yet, what about the future? the cap? ... how about the current moment in time?

Except that any professional GM literally gets paid to know which path is best...And then fully execute on that path. When you add it all up, compared to that 2020 semi-finals not sure this team is materially better (even with Kadri), and we've replaced a hall of fame coach...With a coach who's about to coach his first ever game.

I don't know if Lou can lead this team to a Cup in the next 2-3 years, but if he can't, given the age of this overall roster, a rebuild will be necessary. And if Lou continues to trade away 1st round picks (and maybe to dump contracts), that rebuild will take even longer.
How are Poile, Dubas, Fletcher, and your boy Yzerman doing? They seem to be fully executing on some plan...

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
You really think this is mostly Snow's roster? Tweaks like Pageau, Palmieri, Varlamov, actually bringing Sorokin over, hiring real NHL coaches, drafting Dobson, etc.

I get the hate on Lou for this offseason. I really do. Until they sign Kadri but just my opinion. That being said do you truly think Snow gets this team the distance they went? You cannot possibly think so.
Yes, this is still Garths team imo. He built it. I'm always surprised to what length fans go to convince themselves it isn't.

Anyway...
Would Snow have been able to get them as far as Lou did? Who knows. And it doesn't matter. Lou is here and we need him to get the team further...without mortgaging the future to the degree he did late in his tenure with New Jersey.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
When someone says, "this roster was built by Snow" it doesn't mean they don't understand that LL brought in the coach and structure that the team needed. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Are leafs fans saying 'this roster was built by Lou?'

Reactions: JKP

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Lou took a group of players and made them into a team.

It’s easy to say that most of the roster was drafted and developed under Snow, but it was Lou who brought in the coaching and structure to allow them to have success.
I agree with this too.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yes, this is still Garths team imo. He built it. I'm always surprised to what length fans go to convince themselves it isn't.

Anyway...
Would Snow have been able to get them as far as Lou did? Who knows. And it doesn't matter. Lou is here and we need him to get the team further...without mortgaging the future to the degree he did late in his tenure with New Jersey.
Usually teams 'mortgage the future' in an attempt to win, at some point you win or you don't. COL and TB were dishing out the future to win. SJ tried over and over again, but never did. Dumbo in TOR is dishing out everything just trying to win a single round.

Reactions: JKP

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Usually teams 'mortgage the future' in an attempt to win, at some point you win or you don't. COL and TB were dishing out the future to win. SJ tried over and over again, but never did. Dumbo in TOR is dishing out everything just trying to win a single round.
Why's it always come back to the leafs?? lol

Reactions: xECK29x

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Why's it always come back to the leafs?? lol
They obsessed with the leafs. It must be an age thing. I'd guess it's fans 35 and under who think about the leafs so much. 50% of the anger for tavares was because it was the leafs and not Dallas or San Jose.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Gotchya. And Lou probably knew it too.

Reactions: doublechili

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
They obsessed with the leafs. It must be an age thing. I'd guess it's fans 35 and under who think about the leafs so much. 50% of the anger for tavares was because it was the leafs and not Dallas or San Jose.
I hate them because I live in Canada and everything revolves around TO even though there are 6 other teams here (plus 25 in the US). And their fans here are everywhere and are obnoxious given they’ve won nothing in forever.

That and Tucker deep-sixing Peca’s knee.

I don’t dislike TO because Snake went there. I dislike Snake because he lied repeatedly about not wanting to go there.

And I’m 15 years over 35. ;)

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Again barry didnt wanna coach past this year. As evidenced by the fact that he turned down 2 jobs this year. He wasnt "fired".
Of course he wasn’t fired, so they couldn’t just post ways on mutual terms?

Which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Don't forget that that guy's team in year 4 of his bench time looked like a shell of itself in comparison to the years before despite being largely the same team.

There's a reason why it's understood within the coaching fraternity that it rarely works with any one team for more than three years.

BUT it also means that the new guy is on the very very hot seat, because a repeat of last season or even a slight improvement that maybe gets us a 1-and-done playoff visit will likely mean it's time to take another route with the GM.

Lou's way can't lead to a lack of competitiveness two years running. He's already invested much of the franchises future in his current product.
That kind of makes my point for me that Lou never did much to improve the roster since taking over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad