Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
40 million dollars.

No one was giving him 7 years, hell the way the market is now; no one is giving him 6 and only a few would realistically offer him 5 because of him turning 32 when the season starts.

Reportedly he wanted to cash in on his career year and net 9 million per season. NO ONE was giving him that either, not when before last season he was a 50-55 pt scorer throughout his career. Hell, I doubt the Avalanche would have given him 40 million (5x8) had they cleared the space...

If in fact we were dumber than dumb and gave him the 7 years, then I hope it was for closer to 6 million per, which is what he is realistically worth when taking his full body of work production into account. 40 million is still more cash than any one else was likely handing to him. 7 years and 40 million comes in at an AAV of 5.7, but lets call it 5.75....

Islanders "could" add him at that number and quite possibly not have to trade anyone of merit, depending on whether they were willing to make harder decisions like burying Martin. Of course it would also mean getting all three of Bellows, Romanov and Dobson signed for a total of 7 million or less (I used the example below coming in at 6.9...

About the only guys I would look to move are Panik (250K cost if buried) and adding Aho/6-7th rounder to make it work; that would give the Islanders at least a little breathing room...as well as money to replace Aho will a veteran D (my personal choice is Ryan Murray) for the league minimum...

You are only saving peanuts with those three moves (trading Aho and replacing him with vet min LD, trading Panik and burying Martin- saves about 1.2 million) but we need those nuts...

Nelson (6)- Barzal (7)- Palmieri (5)
Lee (7)- Kadri (5.75)- Wahlstrom (.9)
Beau (4.1)- Pageau (5)- Bailey (5)
Parise (.75)- Cizikas (2.5)- Clutterbuck (1.75)

Bellows (.8)

Pelech (5.75)- Pulock (6.15)
Romanov (2.1)- Dobson (4)
Murray (.75)- Mayfield (1.45)

Salo (.8)

Sorokin (4)- Varlamov (5)

Martin (buried) 375K

Total: 82.2 million

Yes, you could make it more realistic and use that 300K in cap space to sign Kadri for 7X6, which is basically my point. Dobson taking under 4 would give a little more breathing room as well...

7 years and 7 million per though, when no one is even remotely giving him that or were going to- is just stupid...

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Get it done "Stealth"!
1660074219957.png

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
40 million dollars.

No one was giving him 7 years, hell the way the market is now; no one is giving him 6 and only a few would realistically offer him 5 because of him turning 32 when the season starts.

Reportedly he wanted to cash in on his career year and net 9 million per season. NO ONE was giving him that either, not when before last season he was a 50-55 pt scorer throughout his career. Hell, I doubt the Avalanche would have given him 40 million (5x8) had they cleared the space...

If in fact we were dumber than dumb and gave him the 7 years, then I hope it was for closer to 6 million per, which is what he is realistically worth when taking his full body of work production into account. 40 million is still more cash than any one else was likely handing to him. 7 years and 40 million comes in at an AAV of 5.7, but lets call it 5.75....

Islanders "could" add him at that number and quite possibly not have to trade anyone of merit, depending on whether they were willing to make harder decisions like burying Martin. Of course it would also mean getting all three of Bellows, Romanov and Dobson signed for a total of 7 million or less (I used the example below coming in at 6.9...

About the only guys I would look to move are Panik (250K cost if buried) and adding Aho/6-7th rounder to make it work; that would give the Islanders at least a little breathing room...as well as money to replace Aho will a veteran D (my personal choice is Ryan Murray) for the league minimum...

Nelson (6)- Barzal (7)- Palmieri (5)
Lee (7)- Kadri (5.75)- Wahlstrom (.9)
Beau (4.1)- Pageau (5)- Bailey (5)
Parise (.75)- Cizikas (2.5)- Clutterbuck (1.75)

Bellows (.8)

Pelech (5.75)- Pulock (6.15)
Romanov (2.1)- Dobson (4)
Murray (.75)- Mayfield (1.45)

Salo (.8)

Sorokin (4)- Varlamov (5)

Martin (buried) 375K

Total: 82.2 million

Yes, you could make it more realistic and use that 300K in cap space to sign Kadri for 7X6, which is basically my point. Dobson taking under 4 would give a little more breathing room as well...

7 years and 7 million per though, when no one is even remotely giving him that or were going to- is just stupid...
would have signed in COL for 5.75, not happening

this is Beau and what for Miller?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
would have signed in COL for 5.75, not happening

this is Beau and what for Miller?
Beauvillier and Pageau from the roster.

Not sure VAN gets anything more for a pending UFA.

I also toyed with the idea of running Nelson-Barzal-X and Miller-Kadri-X as the foundation for the top six with Raty as the 3C decided against it. That would be a one-two punch that would actually garner some respect, even if it's some video game shit.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I can see that you haven't read most of my posts on Lou over the past three+ years.

You sound a lot like me.

BUT I'm sticking to what I'm saying at this juncture - this IS the make or break it year of his tenure.

No doubt about it.

A repeat of last season... heck, even an unassuming first round out... and Lou will be out.

And properly so.
I have, however, absent a clear disaster, then I doubt he goes anywhere. And something tells me if that disaster happens it’s gonna be on certain players that will be shipped out before Lou goes.

Reactions: JKP

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I can see that you haven't read most of my posts on Lou over the past three+ years.

You sound a lot like me.

BUT I'm sticking to what I'm saying at this juncture - this IS the make or break it year of his tenure.

No doubt about it.

A repeat of last season... heck, even an unassuming first round out... and Lou will be out.

And properly so.
This take is pretty much in line with a convo I had with Ledecky at an outing. Lou's contract is up this year. He intimated that this is pretty much a make or break year for Lou. He hired Lou to be the hockey guy so if he wanted to move on from Barry, he had to support Lou. But now its time to put up or shut up....

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

You sound a lot like me.

No doubt about it.

And properly so.
Lou will be out?

Oh well, every now and again, a new voice is needed in a room 😉

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Do not count on him drawing penalties as much as he did on the Avs. The refs could be biased against both him and the team. I remember JT used to complain about not drawing enough penalties but after he moved to Toronto, he draws more penalties. Refs are human so they do not always go by the book. Big market teams and those with strong records year to year normally get the benefit of the doubt, same with big name players. The playoff is a bit different, as the refs are more under the microscope so they have to be more precise and less partial.
Barzal gets slashed every other shift
Rarely gets the call

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
If Kadri signs for 5.75 per coming off an 100 point pace season his agent is going to lose a ton of clients
You are forgetting (purposely I might add) the years. And if you bothered reading my post I finalized at a more realistic 6 million number.

I dont think you are losing any clients if you took a million or two less but got the seven years,

9 million was never going to happen when your career year was an outlier and you barely averaged half that the rest of your rather long career. His per82 BEFORE LAST SEASON was 23-29-52, a far cry from his 100-pt pace single year....

8 million was doubtful as well, except maybe for the defending champs because that is where you had said career season and even then it was probably going to be for 5-6 years. Their interest in him was so high they didn't even bother clearing the space to sign him for that.

7 million is doable, but it is a cap-strapped market now and again he likely wouldn't get 6 much less 7 years from anyone now, and certainly not from a contender, where he insists he wants to play for.

Since we are one of a few teams (perhaps the ONLY) semi-contender (writing off last season for the myriad of reasons we all know: long road trip to begin season, Covid immediately after, long misses for Ryan and Scott, Kyle, etc) we would be bidding against ourselves with a 7/49 offer...

No, Kadri should take the 7 years and "settle" for the 42 million and run with it...

and no, the agent isn't losing any clients because he got the years that no one else was remotely close to giving him and one of a few teams who would have went 40 million total to boot

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
You are forgetting (purposely I might add) the years. And if you bothered reading my post I finalized at a more realistic 6 million number.

I dont think you are losing any clients if you took a million or two less but got the seven years,

9 million was never going to happen when your career year was an outlier and you barely averaged half that the rest of your rather long career.

8 million was doubtful as well, except maybe for the defending champs because that is where you had said career season and even then it was probably going to be for 5-6 years. There interest was so high they didn't even bother clearing the space to sign him for that.

7 million is doable, but it is a cap-strapped market now and again he likely wouldn't get 6 much less 7 years from anyone now, and certainly not from a contender, where he insists he wants to play for.

Since we are one of a few teams (perhaps the ONLY) semi-contender (writing off last season for the myriad of reasons we all know: long road trip to begin season, Covid immediately after, long misses for Ryan and Scott, Kyle, etc) we would be bidding against ourselves with a 7/49 offer...

No, Kadri should take the 7 years and "settle" for the 42 million and run with it...

and no, the agent isn't losing any clients because he got the years that no one else was remotely close to giving him and one of a few teams who would have went 40 million total to boot

jeez do you love to pick a fight. you can scroll up a couple posts to see if I’m “purposely forgetting years” or not.

who knows - maybe you’re right. in the end we’ll see if he gets closer to the 7M+ that multiple reporters are saying is on the table or whatever you say is fair on HFboards

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
jeez do you love to pick a fight. you can scroll up a couple posts to see if I’m “purposely forgetting years” or not.

who knows - maybe you’re right. in the end we’ll see if he gets closer to the 7M+ that multiple reporters are saying is on the table or whatever you say is fair on HFboards
You responded to me first, not the other way around and yes, in our back and forth you conveniently left off the years...

And no, I won't be right....Lou ALWAYS overpays in every move he makes and this one won't be any different...

7x6 for the reasons I have mentioned is likely getting him inked, especially at this stage in the offseason. That does not mean Lou hasn't already offered him 7x7 which wasn't necessary at all...

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
You responded to me first, not the other way around and yes, in our back and forth you conveniently left off the years...

And no, I won't be right....Lou ALWAYS overpays in every move he makes and this one won't be any different...

7x6 for the reasons I have mentioned is likely getting him inked, especially at this stage in the offseason. That does not mean Lou hasn't already offered him 7x7 which wasn't necessary at all...
What is making you think anything isn’t necessary? You asked me for a link before - where is yours?

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

9 million was never going to happen when your career year was an outlier and you barely averaged half that the rest of your rather long career. His per82 BEFORE LAST SEASON was 23-29-52, a far cry from his 100-pt pace single year....

8 million was doubtful as well, except maybe for the defending champs because that is where you had said career season and even then it was probably going to be for 5-6 years. Their interest in him was so high they didn't even bother clearing the space to sign him for that.

I'm with you on this. anything over 6 is to much. anything over 5.5 is also to much but would not be a gross overpayment

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The latest rumour is 7 x 7 mil.

From Frank Servalli today.

My understanding is [Kadri’s camp] have continued to engage with other teams. For all the reports that Kadri has something locked up with the Islanders, I think that is premature to say. I do think the Islanders have been one of the teams that have been in conversation with Kadri, I think they have put an offer on the table. Other teams have told me they believe [the Islanders offer] is in the $7MM x 7 range for Kadri. At this point obviously it is not signed, and the fact that they continue to talk to other teams tells me at least that they haven’t agreed to terms with the Islanders. May he end up there? It is certainly possible, but they also have to move money there to make it work.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Why do I get the feeling your EPL team will get relegated?

I dont root for Manchester United mate LOL

Liverpool all the way. If healthy we can win the league and maybe get some additional trophies along the way.

Kadri has more than two years left in him, my god the hyperbole on here.

2 years of Good Hockey! You think by 2026-2027 he will be able to perform at that level for that contract? Didnt Andrew Ladd show you anything???

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
What is making you think anything isn’t necessary? You asked me for a link before - where is yours?
Mine is an opinion supported by facts and everything that has happened.

You said he "would have signed in Colorado" as a fact had he been offered that contract, which begs the question was he and where did you read that...hence, needing a link.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
The latest rumour is 7 x 7 mil.

From Frank Servalli today.

My understanding is [Kadri’s camp] have continued to engage with other teams. For all the reports that Kadri has something locked up with the Islanders, I think that is premature to say. I do think the Islanders have been one of the teams that have been in conversation with Kadri, I think they have put an offer on the table. Other teams have told me they believe [the Islanders offer] is in the $7MM x 7 range for Kadri. At this point obviously it is not signed, and the fact that they continue to talk to other teams tells me at least that they haven’t agreed to terms with the Islanders. May he end up there? It is certainly possible, but they also have to move money there to make it work.
Thank god! For the love of everything please let someone else step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad