Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
So what is the next course of action? I think it is an acceptable point of view to believe "man Kadri should be awesome here the next three years, let's worry about the rest when that time comes."

This team is in a position where they need to compete now. Would you agree this team likely rebuilds towards the end of the Kadri contract? I would say so. If that is true the Kadri contract is either one of two things:

1.) traded if we are still competing
2.) we are in a rebuild and have no need to get rid of his contract
There really is only 3 courses of action

Sign Kadri to a terrible contract which we have a few of already. He will help the team for a few years but then would be either rotting on this team like you said or would have to probably get traded with assets attached with our already bear prospects that we have. (Also if Raty or Wahlstrom or any of our decent forward prospects don't live up to potential we are a lot of trouble.) So I wouldn't mind a Kadri but we also IMO aren't a Kadri away from a cup which is the main goal. He can be a piece but when are gonna get the right pieces will it be in a year or two or three?

Try again next season with the same forwards and upgraded defense imo (hoping young players step up finally and take the next steps). If we aren't in the playoffs get rid of some cap and hope for one of the big free agents next year hit free agency and try again. A lot of the great free agents that might hit are also older or same age and younger but some better or similar imo. (Kane, Tarasenko, Ryan O'Reilly, Pastrnak, MacKinnon, Horvat,Meier,Miller,Bertuzzi) Those are just some and of course maybe not all of them hit free agency. However also a lot of teams are in cap space hell also so teams might give away decent players for trades too. But once again we need to make the right moves for cap space especially if we are out of the playoffs if we can.

Make a terrible trade for someone because we don't really have the cap space and/or talent to land someone good so it would most likely be an overpayment as we have to give away talent, futures, and cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real JT

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I'm very very curious to see now that Pacioretty is out 6 months for Carolina if they stash him and his $7M on LTIR they pivot and sign Kadri. The Canes are over the cap by a million or so now,. Pacioretty opens up $7M in space, bringing the Canes under the cap, and leaving them with $5,883,083 in space. I wonder if Kadri goes the Klingberg route and signs say a $5.5- $5.75 million deal for one year in Carolina before trying for a long term deal.

Reactions: 19 in a row

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
If isles offered 7x7, and kadri hasn’t accepted, that means he’s just looking for the most $, and not necessarily a good fit.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If isles offered 7x7, and kadri hasn’t accepted, that means he’s just looking for the most $, and not necessarily a good fit.
But when he signs wherever that may be he'll matter of factly utter " It's not about the money"

Of course you and I both know it's ALWAYS about the money

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Mine is an opinion supported by facts and everything that has happened.

You said he "would have signed in Colorado" as a fact had he been offered that contract, which begs the question was he and where did you read that...hence, needing a link.
The one fact that you offered was based on the numbers from his entire career… not super pertinent or actionable. Everything else your opinion is based on is your own conjecture. We’re doing the same thing here which is speculating based on the information we have at our disposal.

But my original point stands, if the number was ever 5.75, the signing would have been announced ages ago. You basically proved this yourself by fitting him on to our team without really moving anyone off the roster… which in and of itself should have shown how unrealistic that was.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm very very curious to see now that Pacioretty is out 6 months for Carolina if they stash him and his $7M on LTIR they pivot and sign Kadri. The Canes are over the cap by a million or so now,. Pacioretty opens up $7M in space, bringing the Canes under the cap, and leaving them with $5,883,083 in space. I wonder if Kadri goes the Klingberg route and signs say a $5.5- $5.75 million deal for one year in Carolina before trying for a long term deal.
oh...the 'why didn't Lou match that!' will be full on in Isles land.

Reactions: NYI365 and JKP

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
No way he signs 1 year, imo. This is his payday. Why risk it?

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I had not seen this.. That is a blow to them. Thought he was an injury risk but figured it would not be until after the season started.

Reactions: NYI365

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Rantanen and Landeskog were Mackinnon's wings, Kadri barely had time with them and definitely not enough to really have a noticeable effect on his production. Kadri spent most of his 5v5 time flanked by Nuke and Burakovsky. Good players, sure, but neither had ever put up high end numbers before last season. And even then, Kadri finished with only 2 fewer 5v5 points than MacKinnon. I think it's completely fair for someone to think no forwards on our team could have replicated that in the same position, other than maybe Barzal.

That said, I do think he will miss playing with Makar at 5v5, not to mention on Colorado's PP, so I don't think he will replicate the same numbers if he ends up here. But I would still expect him to easily be one of our best forwards offensively, and wouldn't even surprised if he were our best. At least until he slows down.

Dobson outpaced Makar for a good portion of the year :naughty::naughty::naughty:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

We should have definitely took patches if that was the case. We could have added Kadri without having to move out salary until next year AND if Patches came back at the end of the year he could be a weapon for the playoffs.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Know how painfully incorrect/lackluster this offseason has been (yet again)?

I'm hoping Lou's "big move" is to lose out on Kadri.
I’m with you regarding Kadri.
Losing out on him would be a big win for the franchise.

I’ll still give Lou some credit for the offseason. Trading for Romanov to fill a glaring need while only giving up a 13th overall first rounder will go down as one his better moves.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

I’ll still give Lou some credit for the offseason. Trading for Romanov to fill a glaring need while only giving up a 13th overall first rounder will go down as one his better moves.
Especially when he starts knocking people on their asses (where they belong!)

Reactions: The Real JT

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
possibly Brock Nelson the almighty number one center on the Islanders (In a contract year, give him a stud player next to him like Ratanen or Landeskog)

I mean I knew our team is made up of mostly third liners and a few second liners sprinkled in. I know 100 percent we need more talent. However Kadri is not really going to move the needle unless we play Trotz style hockey mostly. That is one of the main reasons we got so far in the playoffs. Adding Kadri is just one little piece, have to hope Wahlstrom, Bellows, Ratu step up in the next year or so.

But are you still saying Kadri should be our best or second best player if we sign him? Especially if we sign him until he is 39 for 7 Mill

Again, Kadri did not play with Rantanen or Landeskog. Also I find it funny to bring up Nelson here as he's coming off of a career year himself - mostly on the back of shooting 22%. Adjust his last season down to his career average there and he's back down to 27ish goals - that would still be one of the best years of his career, which should tell you something. Don't get me wrong, I love Nelson but he's not the type of player that goes PPG+

Reactions: saintunspecified

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I know this was a lackluster draft and all, but I don't think we should ever get complacent about giving up 1st round picks (much less top 15 ones) for 2nd pairing defensemen.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I asked this a while ago and got crickets. He’s instantly the second best offensive player on the team and it’s not close
I would love to know how he is better than Brock Nelson who had 37 goals this year, more than Kadri has ever scored in his life, but yet somehow it is not even close.

In all honesty, who would you rather have a 30 year old Brock Nelson at 6 million, or a 32 year old Kadri at 7 million. To me THAT is not even close. I choose Nelson without even a second thought.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I know this was a lackluster draft and all, but I don't think we should ever get complacent about giving up 1st round picks (much less top 15 ones) for 2nd pairing defensemen.
so far, all of those valued picks haven't turned into jack crap for the teams they were traded to, yet the Isles actually benefited on the ice with two deep playoff runs.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
That’s a fair debate to have but I’ll take my side of it even though I also hate the constant trades of high value draft picks.

A while ago I posted a list of 13th overall picks and you might be surprised at their level of mediocrity. Trading that lottery ticket for an immediate NHL regular at a position of need makes it a win for me.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
That’s a fair debate to have but I’ll take my side of it even though I also hate the constant trades of high value draft picks.

A while ago I posted a list of 13th overall picks and you might be surprised at their level of mediocrity. Trading that lottery ticket for an immediate NHL regular at a position of need makes it a win for me.
I think the fact that Romanov is so young with room to grow AND is NHL ready for a team that is desperate for improvement and with a playoffs or bust mentality makes it a sensible maneuver

Plus it allowed Uncle Louis to go back to his summer routine of shuffleboard, sitting in the park, canasta, napping, etc

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
We haven't had much success with drafting or developing or both let's just say so far lately....so getting an NHL regular most likely is kind of a win. I think we need to upgrade our scouting and development down in the AHL.

Reactions: Mike C

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

He just accelerated the development of that pick into a known, but still developing contributor. This was a weak draft that highly unlikely produces similar quality in 4 years, if not more, or ever. Good move by Lou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad