Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
What's the consequence for Pagnotta if he's wrong? He could well be right, but people also routinely cite a crooked ex-bookie on this board, and I value each of their contributions at about the same level - negligible.

in this case I’d say that it’s the biggest and only hockey story right now and people will likely remember if he spoke on something with this level of certainty and was wrong. Puts a big dent in your insiderrrr status

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I've mentioned this a couple of times, but there's a new CBA in 4 years. Has there ever been a new CBA without at least one "free" buyout built in to it? That might be part of Lou's thinking if he gives Kadri 7 years.
Actually the last renewal did not include one. We were counting on it for Ladd.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I rly don't care what the term is, if he makes this team better for 3 or r years we can always send him to Arizona for a 2nd rounder in 5 years...call the contract Kadri for 5 years and a 2nd rounder . Not bad. Lol

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Actually the last renewal did not include one. We were counting on it for Ladd.
True, but that was not a typical case - it was more of a kick the can down the road thing where they agreed to extend the current CBA with a handful of tweaks rather than do a full renegotiation. I guess the question is whether they do the free buyouts if the cap is rising by 2026. But if the cap ceiling (and floor) is rising and they front load Kadri's contract to the extent allowed, maybe he'll be movable in 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: danteipp

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
And saying to it on TSN changes what? Again, he is a rumor guy, his entire basis is rumors.
he’s putting his reputation on the line to a much larger audience than just his followers. Again, he didn’t say “I heard this could be happening” - he said it’s done on the biggest Canadian sports outlet.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I sure loved the Andrew Ladd experience the first time. Let’s do it again!

I understand the urge to want to compare this to the Ladd deal (older player, signed for a long time) - but this is not that. Kadri has been either extremely good or elite analytically for the last 10 years - he has outpaced the rest of his team's expected goal percentage (regardless of the team or his linemates) by an average of 10.4%. For comparison, our current 2nd line center Brock Nelson has outpaced the team by 3.5% during the Barry Trotz era, never registering a year above 7.1%. Pageau has yet to break 1% during his career.

There are 2 players on our team that can match that number - Matt Barzal and Anders Lee (and in large part, Lee's performance here is likely a product of having extensive playing time with Barzal). He paced the Avs in this stat during their Stanley Cup run. Not Mackinnon, not Makar, not Landeskog - it was when Kadri was on the ice that they played their best hockey. That number in the playoffs? 23.7%, with an on ice expected goal% of 75%. That means they were expected to outscore the opponent 3-1 with Kadri on the ice. Talk about upping your game in the playoffs.

Is 7 years too long? Yes, he will not be worth 7M in maybe 3 or 4 seasons. But he's worth well more than that right now, and now is when we're trying to win. And for a team that struggled scoring and getting pucks on net, there was only one other player we could have added in free agency that would have helped more. Don't overthink this one - Kadri will be the best signing we've made in a long long time.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Man, can we just wait to see how things play out before we all put our nuts in a blender?

And the likelihood of the Cap going up significantly in a few years is likely (new TV revenues from Canada and here)

NBC - $250 million a year to
ESPN/TBS - $635 million a year

The Rogers deal in Canada runs until 2025-26, so there's a likely bump there too (currently $5,232 billion (Canadian) over 12 years). Don't be surprised if we go up $5 million next season in Cap.

One other thing, has anyone heard anything about holdbacks on the player's contracts? Haven't heard if there is an escrow for this year.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Credibility? It’s a rumor site lol
It's mostly a rumor site, yes.

But like I said before, he didn't just put out a rumor. He said the deal was done.

You have some leeway in putting out a rumor. But if you say a deal is done, your credibility is done if it's inaccurate.

Which is why I think it's a given that Kadri is an Islander unfortunately. I just don't think Pagnotta would put something like that out there if he wasn't 100% certain of it, but I guess time will tell soon. Training camp is next month, and NYI will certainly need to have publicly released their transactions by then.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Another reason to believe that he's an Islander is that there's one GM in the entire league who announces signings in September. Wanna guess who that is?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Oh no, the GM traded picks to advance the cause of a downtrodden franchise. Moreover, a team that has historically found it difficult to attract key UFAs in the market year over year. Draft, draft, draft. Can't wait. I mean, the team has first rounders in Barzal, Dobson, Bellows, Nelson, Bailey, Pulock, Wally, Beau. Let's reboot, maybe things are better, the same, or worse. The team already has a future playing the present. If all these 1st rounders can't take the Isles to the SC, then is that on the GM? Or maybe, it's on the players themselves?

He traded a pick for JGP, later resigned him. JGP contributed to the team advancing to two B2B conference finals. [Myopic fan view - should have never made the trade, overpaid on the deal, overpaid on the contract]

He traded a pick(s) to acquire Palms, later resigned. Palms was absolutely critical in the Isles advancing past PIT (we know what 'superstar' was useless), then the team later advancing to the conference finals. Fans wanted Eberle gone, Palms was the cheaper replacement for a team lacking scoring [Myopic fan view - should have never made the trade, overpaid on the deal, overpaid on the contract, could have used the funds for better winger to play with mr. 'superstar']

He traded a pick to get Romonov, 22 yr old defenseman picked in the '18 draft. He's an RFA. He's tabbed to play in the Isles Top 4. The GM just accelerated the development of the Isles 2022 first rounder.[Myopic fan view - should have never made the trade, draft picks please, or you didn't get a 50G scorer with that pick + Bailey]

The current GM has produced the best results this franchise has seen since the 80's. Last I checked his trades have resulted in (a) actual production on the resulting in deeper playoff runs, and (b) resigned those players for a team that faces an uphill battle to sign high quality UFAs.

Since fans 'fear' things, how about Malkin hired Cliff Fletcher instead of Lou as the President/GM? Maybe Lombardi? Maybe Burke? He certainly wasn't placing his $1B investment in some unknown 'young' GM or someone w/o stewarding a franchise. Lou came to the Isles w/NJD and fixing the train wreck Leafs that had fans routinely throwing jersey's on the ice.

I can see that you haven't read most of my posts on Lou over the past three+ years.

You sound a lot like me.

BUT I'm sticking to what I'm saying at this juncture - this IS the make or break it year of his tenure.

No doubt about it.

A repeat of last season... heck, even an unassuming first round out... and Lou will be out.

And properly so.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I rly don't care what the term is, if he makes this team better for 3 or r years we can always send him to Arizona for a 2nd rounder in 5 years...call the contract Kadri for 5 years and a 2nd rounder . Not bad. Lol
And this is how GMs think. If I get 4-5 good years out of him, I'll worry about the last couple later (or the next guy will).

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
We are gonna sign a 32 year old 3rd liner who at best can give us maybe 2 years of good hockey. By year 4 he will be buried in the AHL along with our chances of the cup. We will be forced to trade prospects to any team that would touch that contract. Ill wait to see the terms, If its a 4-5 yr deal ill be ok with it but its its 7 years 7 Mill per year than Ill politely go back to watching English Premiere League and wishing this team well from afar.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
We are gonna sign a 32 year old 3rd liner who at best can give us maybe 2 years of good hockey. By year 4 he will be buried in the AHL along with our chances of the cup. We will be forced to trade prospects to any team that would touch that contract. Ill wait to see the terms, If its a 4-5 yr deal ill be ok with it but its its 7 years 7 Mill per year than Ill politely go back to watching English Premiere League and wishing this team well from afar.

Kadri has more than two years left in him, my god the hyperbole on here.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Why do I get the feeling your EPL team will get relegated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad