Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
As someone who has spent a lot of time around these parts praising the man for the instant recognition and stability he brought back to the club, I fully recognize that this is the defining year of his tenure…

He’s thrown futures around like used bras and yes, they've brought back a couple of established players, neither of whom have put us over the top.

Now he needs a crowning moment. Could still come.

Going into the season with what we have now would certainly be the riskiest path for him to take.

True. I was thinking of player acquisition.

But you're right. We're thinking of a player for player move as a "hockey trade" and that hasn't come yet.

Seems like plenty of opportunity was there. But who knows what the other GMs are demanding of him.

These guys aren't stupid and I'm betting that all of them are looking for ways to sneak away with our 2023 1st as part of any deals. And who'd blame them with the way Lou has been approaching the draft in recent years.
Well that’s a phrase you don’t hear every day. Nothing I particularly want to see as well.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If Ladd did not need a 1st round pick what makes you think Kadri would need one? Do you think that Kadri is going to be a worse player than Ladd was here?
If soon to be 32 yo Kadri gets a 7x7M/yr contract, it’s not far fetched that in 2-3 years that deal will be an anchor.

An anchor with more years and more term than Ladd’s deal.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
As someone who has spent a lot of time around these parts praising the man for the instant recognition and stability he brought back to the club, I fully recognize that this is the defining year of his tenure. Anything resembling last season, including a relatively simple first round ouster at the hands of an opponent, should mean it's time to move on and take a different route.

He's thrown futures around like used bras and yes, they've brought back a couple of established players, neither of whom have put us over the top.

Going into the season with what we have now would certainly be the riskiest path for him to take.

True. I was thinking of player acquisition.

But you're right. We're thinking of a player for player move as a "hockey trade" and that hasn't come yet.

Seems like plenty of opportunity was there. But who knows what the other GMs are demanding of him.

These guys aren't stupid and I'm betting that all of them are looking for ways to sneak away with our 2023 1st as part of any deals. And who'd blame them with the way Lou has been approaching the draft in recent years.
So, isles should fire the GM that brought them playoffs 3/4 years, 2 B2B conference finals, and ‘go a different route’ - oh, Isles fans love lotto land.

When the youth on this team that is made up of first round picks steps up THAT may do it. Going into picks, picks, rebuild is highly unlikely. The owners KNOW no one will show up for that.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
So, isles should fire the GM that brought them playoffs 3/4 years, 2 B2B conference finals, and ‘go a different route’ - oh, Isles fans love lotto land.

When the youth on this team that is made up of first round picks steps up THAT may do it. Going into picks, picks, rebuild is highly unlikely. The owners KNOW no one will show up for that.

No we should fire the GM who's about to bring in a 32 yr old Center at according to what I heard at least 7M for 7 years. There are reports Kadri is holding out for a salary as high at 9M per.

What are we doing here???? Lou needs to tell this guy to f*** off. Let me ask you something. Who are we bidding against??? Have you hear anything from Calgary or Col? No, Col has cap issues and needs to move a player or 2 which they obviously not jumping at that to sign this guy. Calgary just signed 2 players to big contracts. I don't think they are involved. This is stupid, Lou's bidding against himself. Kadri has NO LEVERAGE!!!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
No we should fire the GM who's about to bring in a 32 yr old Center at according to what I heard at least 7M for 7 years. There are reports Kadri is holding out for a salary as high at 9M per.

What are we doing here???? Lou needs to tell this guy to f*** off. Let me ask you something. Who are we bidding against??? Have you hear anything from Calgary or Col? No, Col has cap issues and needs to move a player or 2 which they obviously not jumping at that to sign this guy. Calgary just signed 2 players to big contracts. I don't think they are involved. This is stupid, Lou's bidding against himself. Kadri has NO LEVERAGE!!!
Isles bidding against themselves?

Scott Boras must be his agent 😉

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
The best part about this, how many people wanted to believe the “leaks” that the deal was all but done. Now, apparently he’s asking for too much?!? Sounds like a JG situation all over again, just hoping someone other than the islanders will step in and make an offer.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If Ladd did not need a 1st round pick what makes you think Kadri would need one? Do you think that Kadri is going to be a worse player than Ladd was here?

Everything is case by case. One year of Marleau required a 1st to dump the contract.

And I wasn't talking about Kadri per se. I'm just talking about backing your team into a corner by signing any player to a contract they will not be worth (especially in the lsat years of it).

That said, I am scared to see the Kadri contract. Little doubt he wanted cash in on the longest-term and if Lou gave it to him that would mean until he's 38. Even Lee's "scary" deal only takes him to 35.

As someone who has spent a lot of time around these parts praising the man for the instant recognition and stability he brought back to the club, I fully recognize that this is the defining year of his tenure. Anything resembling last season, including a relatively simple first round ouster at the hands of an opponent, should mean it's time to move on and take a different route.

He's thrown futures around like used bras and yes, they've brought back a couple of established players, neither of whom have put us over the top.

Amen to this post. Let's tuck it away and see if you think Lou had a "crowning" moment by the time opening night rolls around. Because I 100% agree...Anything short of something much closer to the semi-finals than last season would be worthy of a new GM.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ain't happening. Varly is only a viable trading chip in our minds.

I guarantee you, he's not on the table.

I agree Varly ain't being traded, but are you saying that...Or that he has little value around the league. Because given what Georgiev returned Varly should've been the next goalie traded 5 minutes later.

Instead Lou is going to take 50 cents on the dollar for Beauvillier or Bailey (which might mean giving up an asset) because he refuses to trade a player who will 100% not be on the team in a year.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

You really think that Kadri hasn't agreed to terms yet and is still negotiating with teams? We'll never be able to prove it, but I'd bet my face terms are done and have been for a while. Literally none of the big name reporters or media outlets are saying a thing about Kadri and that reeks of Lou's need for a cone of silence.

And before this Kadri most definitely had leverage. All it takes is one other team to be in on a player and then now you have to bid up to get that player.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
because he refuses to trade a player who will 100% not be on the team in a year.
IDK about 100%. When Varlamov's contract is up next summer he'll be 35 years old. At that point teams start getting leery about signing a 35+ contract for longer term. Varlamov has $55M of career earnings to date and he's making $4M next season. I wouldn't say it's 100% that he wouldn't sign another contract with the Isles for a more reasonable price to be a backup to Sorokin.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
IDK about 100%. When Varlamov's contract is up next summer he'll be 35 years old. At that point teams start getting leery about signing a 35+ contract for longer term. Varlamov has $55M of career earnings to date and he's making $4M next season. I wouldn't say it's 100% that he wouldn't sign another contract with the Isles for a more reasonable price to be a backup to Sorokin.

Fair. Nothing is 100%, but I'd say 99% not with the team. Varly is still playing at a very high level and 35 is far from done as an NHL goalie (just ask Mike Smith). Varly is done getting long term deals, but 2-3 years at 4+ million is easily attainable, and assuming that is the price then yes the Isles will be 100% out.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Fair. Nothing is 100%, but I'd say 99% not with the team. Varly is still playing at a very high level and 35 is far from done as an NHL goalie (just ask Mike Smith). Varly is done getting long term deals, but 2-3 years at 4+ million is easily attainable, and assuming that is the price then yes the Isles will be 100% out.
Yeah, the big question is what Varlamov could get. IDK if teams are going to be giving out $4M or more for multi-years for a 35+ contract. If so, then yeah he's probably gone. But if Varlamov likes the situation and is more interested in some security, he might just go for something like a $2.75M x 3 deal if the alternatives are $3M or even $3.5m x 1 or 2 years. The Isles don't have any goalies seemingly ready to be a backup on an ELC in the near future, so they're going to be paying someone $1.5M - $2M anyway. The way Lou is about goalies he'd probably go the extra $$$ for a guy he trusts.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Who else have you heard trying to sign him. Isles are the only ones that seem to be linked to him. Why?

Let's see seems like more and more reports from a bunch of sources say we signed him.
No way of knowing with the veil of secrecy. I'm not knowledgeable on capology, but on the ice, I think he's a good fit the way this team is constructed as others have posted along the way provided it doesn't break the bank

Reactions: danteipp

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, the big question is what Varlamov could get. IDK if teams are going to be giving out $4M or more for multi-years for a 35+ contract. If so, then yeah he's probably gone. But if Varlamov likes the situation and is more interested in some security, he might just go for something like a $2.75M x 3 deal if the alternatives are $3M or even $3.5m x 1 or 2 years. The Isles don't have any goalies seemingly ready to be a backup on an ELC in the near future, so they're going to be paying someone $1.5M - $2M anyway. The way Lou is about goalies he'd probably go the extra $$$ for a guy he trusts.

Yes, yes, and yes, but the polnt is this...

Varly could sign an extension right now. Surely Lou knows the kind of numbers he's looking for and his likelihood of staying given all factors. If Varly doesn't want to sign that's up to him, but if he's going to walk (and Lou should know this by the deadline), then he should be trading him - Especially if we're not a surefire playoff team.

I suspect Lou wouldn't even then and that's a problem.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Honestly, I don't give a flying f who the other teams are "gameplanning against", lmao. What a myopic view that they aren't game planning against every single player on the ice. What does that have to do with the cost of coffee beans in Nicaragua? Nelson is the only center on the team that can play with all the best players and have chemistry with them, as well as make them look better on the ice. He's also our biggest scoring threat at even strength. So keep measuring things by your imagination on other coaches sweaty palms, and I'll stick to, ya know, the way they play.
It’s about match ups and who they are playing against Barzal and Nelson.

Nelson was the biggest scoring threat last season yes but, he was shooting at % that is not sustainable. Nelson is not a 1C and last season was his first season where he scored more than 30.

Barzal is a threat every time he jumps onto the ice with his speed, puck possession, passing ability, and creating space for others. Everyone in the league knows it - other fans see it- keep criticizing him about his whirl and twirling, but not every thing is take the puck to the net. Learn a little about the game in the offensive zone. He is delaying once he has gained entry into the offensive zone - where the team can craft their opportunities with high scoring chances. The kid has the wizardry speed, skating, and edge work to make that happen.

When you hear Trotz criticize players for being selfish it’s exactly when a player takes the puck and forces a play on net or shot instead of gaining the zone and crafting their plays. I’m f***ing done with these stupid ass conversations about Barzal. Ridiculous that suddenly f***ing lady Jane is the man!
It’s why we can’t have nice things as Isles fans.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

True, it will naturally be situationally based. The owners will have to examine the exact context of the season and the - if as described - lack of progress accordingly. What I wrote would be in light of a scenario where the Isles would look to move on from a GM that had gotten them to the playoffs 3/5 years.

But Lou's gameplan is all about the here and now without doing too much shaking up. Naturally, it CAN work once again this winter. And as Isles fans, we'll root for it to work.

But if the results of the prior season are repeated following two straight periods of minimal movement, with the greatest movement conducted always being about dishing off high picks to either navigate the cap or bring in guys who just don't perform accordingly, then ownership is going to have to analyze what's been going on and determine if this is all this GM can do.

And if they determine it is, then they'll naturally have to contemplate going another route.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Alright. I'm just saying, it might be best to see what actually happens.

To which team?
22, 18, 23, 25, 17. That’s is Barzals goal projected goal totals in each season so far (Covid shortened seasons) He averages 21 goals a season and is just hitting his prime now. Since when is over 20 goals not a threat? Lol if he had a real winger I can see him hitting 25 almost every year and hit 30 once or twice. He is absolutely a threat. If you don’t like him for some reason that is 100% fine, but let’s stay realistic…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad