Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I agree Varly ain't being traded, but are you saying that...Or that he has little value around the league. Because given what Georgiev returned Varly should've been the next goalie traded 5 minutes later.

I'm saying that - as in, I don't see moving Varlamov as being any part of Lou's plan. I think Lou greatly values a 1A/1B scenario and the role Varlamov plays for Soroking as a long-time NHL goaltender from Russia. The whole packae of tangibles is what I think Lou is banking on.

And I think that Lou sees this team winning via goaltending and team defense. He's smart enough to know we're now winning by running and gunning. He hasn't even tried to change that.

Naturally I understand from the outside looking in that your average well-informed fan is thinking that Varlamov is a wonderful trading chip and that it'd be very easy to just sign one of the many back-ups on the market off of the scrapheap while freeing up 5 million in the process.

The logic for such a move - in a vaccum - is undeniable.

Instead Lou is going to take 50 cents on the dollar for Beauvillier or Bailey (which might mean giving up an asset) because he refuses to trade a player who will 100% not be on the team in a year.

This hasn't yet come to fruition. It's what we all fear. It's what we see happening if Lou really is able to add a Kadri.

Right now, he's still got 14 NHL forwards on the roster and two key RFA Dmen who are going to be eating part of the 11 MM in cap space he's working with.

How will he rearrange things to making any such signing possible?

We fear he's been placing himself between a rock and a hard place to do so.

BAILEY:
In a thread in the trades forum, some Red Wings fan is contemplating trades involving them taking on Bailey and actually getting a 2nd rounder to do so. Which would be absolutely failure if it comes to that.

We know that. It's disgusting to think any GM would go from 11 cap space to having to pay someone like that to take Bailey off our hands. Disgusting.

I'm heavily hoping that IF Lou is bringing in Kadri, that he can manage to make a deal like Bailey & Bellows to Winnipeg for Brendan Dillon and the rights to former 2nd rounder David Gustafsson. For us, is ultimately scrapes up 2 MM of cap space while adequately answering our 2nd/3rd line LHD situation. Dillon is rough MoFo who can play a decent all-round game. He may even be a great partner for Dobson.

Believe it or not, the Jets have an overload of Dmen at the moment and can't find space for them all. If they'd move Dillon, they'd have Heinola and Stanley both ready and waiting to move up.

They also could use more scoring options up front and ironically don't really have a pure pass-first player like Bailey in their line-up. But they've got plenty of guys who put pucks in the net. Bellows even upgrades their lower line options.

Point is, it'd be a move that can serve both teams' interest. It would make sense. It might be a bit of an undersell on the Islanders' behalf, but we know that may be coming one way or another anyways.

I'm very much hoping that if Lou is bringing in a Kadri that he's going to be able to make lateral moves of this nature to free things up to do so.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
22, 18, 23, 25, 17. That’s is Barzals goal projected goal totals in each season so far (Covid shortened seasons) He averages 21 goals a season and is just hitting his prime now. Since when is over 20 goals not a threat? Lol if he had a real winger I can see him hitting 25 almost every year and hit 30 once or twice. He is absolutely a threat. If you don’t like him for some reason that is 100% fine, but let’s stay realistic…

In addition, we see too many phases every single season where he just refuses to shoot the puck. Once he starts shooting, more goals start being generated.

Thus, if any coach can get him into shooting mode more often, for longer periods of time every season, then we're getting more goals.

Barzal's skating creates more time, options, and avenues to the goal than are actually being made use of. And that often lies on his refusal to make shooting a more common component of his attack.

Reactions: MJF

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Who else have you heard trying to sign him. Isles are the only ones that seem to be linked to him. Why?

Let's see seems like more and more reports from a bunch of sources say we signed him.
More and more? It was one random scout that said it was done. Then the fourth period said it “might” be happening.

From Lou never allows leaks, to all of a sudden one random scout got the jump on everyone? And no one else of note has confirmed that Kadri, has in fact signed.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As time goes on, I'm thinking that Kadri to NYI seems less likely. It's one thing to keep secret a veteran deal that's worth 1yr/1M, even resigning a player under the team's control. But I think it's quite another with a high-profile unrestricted free agent. Indeed, everyone knew that Palmieri was signed long before it was announced. What incentive would opposing GMs have to keep the Kadri situation quiet if his agent really isn't still listening to offers? Surely more GMs have checked in as time has gone on, as for all anyone knows it might be the case that Kadri overplayed his hand. There's additionally little reason for them to remain silent if LL has been working other GMs to free up cap space by moving Bailey or Beauvillier. Otoh, I do think it is absolutely possible that Dobson/Romanov are signed/unannounced.

I don't think NYI are done this offseason. I do expect training camp (injuries, other surprises) opens up opportunities for deals. But that there's a pending/conditional/unannounced long term big money UFA deal after weeks of silence seems more incredible to me by the day.

Reactions: cavs and MJF

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
As time goes on, I'm thinking that Kadri to NYI seems less likely. It's one thing to keep secret a veteran deal that's worth 1yr/1M, even resigning a player under the team's control. But I think it's quite another with a high-profile unrestricted free agent. Indeed, everyone knew that Palmieri was signed long before it was announced. What incentive would opposing GMs have to keep the Kadri situation quiet if his agent really isn't still listening to offers? Surely more GMs have checked in as time has gone on, as for all anyone knows it might be the case that Kadri overplayed his hand. There's additionally little reason for them to remain silent if LL has been working other GMs to free up cap space by moving Bailey or Beauvillier. Otoh, I do think it is absolutely possible that Dobson/Romanov are signed/unannounced.

I don't think NYI are done this offseason. I do expect training camp (injuries, other surprises) opens up opportunities for deals. But that there's a pending/conditional/unannounced long term big money UFA deal after weeks of silence seems more incredible to me by the day.

We just do not know i guess.
We will see what happens over the next few weeks. I have a feeling we will hear something this week.
I still think Kadri will not land here. I personally don't want him at the Money i keep hearing. that term and Dollar figure would be a handcuff down the road

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm thinking 50% or better of the poster's here have no clue as to who Milton Berle is.
I'm 61 and know who he is, but I really only remember him from the Dean Martin Roasts. His fame was really before even my time. Kind of the same for Foster Brooks, Red Buttons (okay, except for The Poseidon Adventure), etc..

Reactions: MJF

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'm 61 and know who he is, but I really only remember him from the Dean Martin Roasts. His fame was really before even my time. Kind of the same for Foster Brooks, Red Buttons (okay, except for The Poseidon Adventure), etc..
I used to love Brooks on Rowan and Martin's "Laugh-In" (also loved a youthful Goldie Hawn dancing around in a bikini😀)

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I see what you're saying but if he's not locked down by the Isles at this point, how is there not more chatter around the league about trying to land him? Is he that stubborn that he won't drop his price to the point that multiple teams would be interested in him? That seems unlikely to me....possible, but not really probable. If he were truly an unfettered FA at this point, I think panic mode would start setting in and his agents would be beating the bush drumming up interest, real or manufactured.

We'll ultimately see, but if I had to bet on one side or another, I'd bet that #43 in Blue and Orange is already prepped. And I'm not talkin about Mike Halmo appreciated night.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
soooooo, I have a tough decision. Do I take out the utility club and fly the large oak tree our do I pierce a 3 iron blue sparrow through the gap? Both are approach shots about 210 yards away with no wind. Par 5 mind you

Anyway, Did sweet Lou get it done today?

Enjoy the summer fellas.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
soooooo, I have a tough decision. Do I take out the utility club and fly the large oak tree our do I pierce a 3 iron blue sparrow through the gap? Both are approach shots about 210 yards away with no wind. Par 5 mind you

Enjoy the summer fellas.

Be a hero - shoot the gap

Reactions: mm11

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
True, it will naturally be situationally based. The owners will have to examine the exact context of the season and the - if as described - lack of progress accordingly. What I wrote would be in light of a scenario where the Isles would look to move on from a GM that had gotten them to the playoffs 3/5 years.

But Lou's gameplan is all about the here and now without doing too much shaking up. Naturally, it CAN work once again this winter. And as Isles fans, we'll root for it to work.

But if the results of the prior season are repeated following two straight periods of minimal movement, with the greatest movement conducted always being about dishing off high picks to either navigate the cap or bring in guys who just don't perform accordingly, then ownership is going to have to analyze what's been going on and determine if this is all this GM can do.

And if they determine it is, then they'll naturally have to contemplate going another route.
Oh no, the GM traded picks to advance the cause of a downtrodden franchise. Moreover, a team that has historically found it difficult to attract key UFAs in the market year over year. Draft, draft, draft. Can't wait. I mean, the team has first rounders in Barzal, Dobson, Bellows, Nelson, Bailey, Pulock, Wally, Beau. Let's reboot, maybe things are better, the same, or worse. The team already has a future playing the present. If all these 1st rounders can't take the Isles to the SC, then is that on the GM? Or maybe, it's on the players themselves?

He traded a pick for JGP, later resigned him. JGP contributed to the team advancing to two B2B conference finals. [Myopic fan view - should have never made the trade, overpaid on the deal, overpaid on the contract]

He traded a pick(s) to acquire Palms, later resigned. Palms was absolutely critical in the Isles advancing past PIT (we know what 'superstar' was useless), then the team later advancing to the conference finals. Fans wanted Eberle gone, Palms was the cheaper replacement for a team lacking scoring [Myopic fan view - should have never made the trade, overpaid on the deal, overpaid on the contract, could have used the funds for better winger to play with mr. 'superstar']

He traded a pick to get Romonov, 22 yr old defenseman picked in the '18 draft. He's an RFA. He's tabbed to play in the Isles Top 4. The GM just accelerated the development of the Isles 2022 first rounder.[Myopic fan view - should have never made the trade, draft picks please, or you didn't get a 50G scorer with that pick + Bailey]

The current GM has produced the best results this franchise has seen since the 80's. Last I checked his trades have resulted in (a) actual production on the resulting in deeper playoff runs, and (b) resigned those players for a team that faces an uphill battle to sign high quality UFAs.

Since fans 'fear' things, how about Malkin hired Cliff Fletcher instead of Lou as the President/GM? Maybe Lombardi? Maybe Burke? He certainly wasn't placing his $1B investment in some unknown 'young' GM or someone w/o stewarding a franchise. Lou came to the Isles w/NJD and fixing the train wreck Leafs that had fans routinely throwing jersey's on the ice.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Enjoy the summer fellas.
If there's no water in front of the green, I'd go with the 3 iron through the gap. Let it run up.

Granted, I just got back from Scotland and if you're playing in Florida, they're entirely 2 different games.

Reactions: danteipp

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres fan here. Trade idea:

Bailey (no retention) and Kieffer Bellows to Buffalo for Andres Bjork (50% retained). This move is a precursor to the presumed Kadri signing.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Enjoy the summer fellas.
Choice #3 might be more realistic.

Play safe with a 9 iron and unintentionally blade it under the tree 150 yards. Pitch it to 6 feet and make the putt.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
do I pierce a 3 iron blue sparrow through the gap?
This one all the way. I'm a very mediocre golfer, but I live for those "hockey shots". Best part of the game.

BTW, no offense to golfers, but it is a game. Basically billiards on grass. Tennis is a sport. ;)

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Loved Dean Martin, wasn't a Foster Brooks Fan I remember Red Buttons from Poseidon but more so from The Longest Day , I was a big Red Skelton fan though.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This one all the way. I'm a very mediocre golfer, but I live for those "hockey shots". Best part of the game.

BTW, no offense to golfers, but it is a game. Basically billiards on grass. Tennis is a sport. ;)
Tennis over golf?

That’s an exceptionally bad take on a board full of them.

I say that con tutto rispetto Don Doublechili.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My first time realizing who Milton Berle was is from It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. What a cast in that film. I read that the biggest stars at that time were practically begging to be in the movie.

As for seeing Berle in his heyday on YouTube videos, he was funny but not nearly as funny as Sid Caesar, imo. Being raised by parents born in the 1930s, I developed an appreciation for the great comedians of that time.

Reactions: doublechili
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad