Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My prediction is the dominos will fall and trades will happen if/when Kadri is signed.

Kadri is a center and the Islanders are strong at the center position with the exception being our top center underperforms because he does not have a winger with a nose for and hands to find the net aside from Parise in the fading twilight of his career.

I am guessing if Kadri signs, Nelson will be asked to move to wing which is a bad option in my opinion OR more likely Pageau will be traded

It then comes down to what caliber winger can Lou get for players like Pageau and Beauvillier (I see little value in Bailey and see him as a costly salary dump/trade).

If Pageau, Beauvillier + are not enough to land a prized winger, then Lou will have to throw Varley in the mix.

If Kadri is not coming, then I think Varley will definitely be traded along with Beauvillier for a winger.

A lot is still possible but I do still believe Lou‘s statement that a hockey trade is coming to improve this team.
Nelson is our top center. No idea why people keep talking Barzal as our best center. He's just not there yet. He's got the most potential, but he has not eclipsed Nelson in terms of production and value.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
Is it me or is it just a weird offseason, tons of teams above cap or towards the cap ceiling. A lot of RFA's haven't been announced it seems, some "okay" players are still out there in free agency. Not even rumors or words on some of those free agents, people think we 100 percent signed Kadri then some are saying he is still looking but looking for 9 mill a season.

Reactions: Mike C

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Is it me or is it just a weird offseason, tons of teams above cap or towards the cap ceiling. A lot of RFA's haven't been announced it seems, some "okay" players are still out there in free agency. Not even rumors or words on some of those free agents, people think we 100 percent signed Kadri then some are saying he is still looking but looking for 9 mill a season.

Definitely a bit of a strange off season. Heck, the prize of free agency agreed to a deal with the Blue Jackets, which should have been a sign considering just a few years ago players were desperately trying to get OUT of Columbus.

It will be interesting to see if any of these max cap teams try to use an unexpected LTIR designation on a player or two, in an attempt to circumvent the cap and buy time, while they try to get the cost to come down on a trade.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
seems like off season has been going on forever

can't see kadri getting 9 mil. THAT would be insane

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
seems like off season has been going on forever

can't see kadri getting 9 mil. THAT would be insane

Totally agree on both points but especially the bold.

With respect to the Isles and given that Lou clearly prefers a deliberate salary structure, I cannot see Kadri getting more than $7 million in AAV on a longer-term deal. I would think Lou would want to keep Kadri at or below Lee's $7 million AAV.

Maybe Kadri gets above $7 million, but then it should be a one-year deal, where Kadri can either prove his value to the Isles and then justifiably get more on the next contract or head elsewhere for his pay day.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Totally agree on both points but especially the bold.

With respect to the Isles and given that Lou clearly prefers a deliberate salary structure, I cannot see Kadri getting more than $7 million in AAV on a longer-term deal. I would think Lou would want to keep Kadri at or below Lee's $7 million AAV.

Maybe Kadri gets above $7 million, but then it should be a one-year deal, where Kadri can either prove his value to the Isles and then justifiably get more on the next contract or head elsewhere for his pay day.
I see it from both sides. Players want to get paid, especially since an injury can end it all

Teams need to navigate the cap. Saw where supposedly Oettinger and Dallas aren't even talking much.

At least we have the Mets for our sports and this board for our overall entertainment

Reactions: danteipp

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Correct the second Kadri gets even 8 million from the isles, Brock Nelson won't be signable, barzal gona demand 9 million next contract, Lou won't do this even if he had the cap space. Kadri has to take 7 million max or ot won't happen here.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Kadri can go f*** himself at 9m. And Lou can go f*** himself for singing him.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
What is the end game for Doms model? What is it he’s tying to achieve but never does season after season?
Seriously. Is the point of the model to predict upcoming regular season results? Individual game results? Playoffs? Something else?

Seems like a fools errand. No one knows I’d barzal had too many Buffalo wings the night before a game and had the shits that morning and plays like shit. No one knows if Bailey was up all night because his wife was yelling at him to be a man and plays like shit.

‘The model’ will never be 100%, or even close.

You ask this question of what’s the point on the Athletic in comments, and all you get is ‘you don’t understand statistics’. Maybe not, but I’m still waiting for anyone to tell me what the point/end game is for Doms model.

That would require Lou to wake up.
Maybe 5pm instead? Early bird special?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Dom’s content is The Athletic’s version of strife journalism. It’s crap (and they probably know it too), but it garners clicks and discussion.

There’s a reason guys like him and Pronman will never work for an NHL organization.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Dom’s content is The Athletic’s version of strife journalism. It’s crap (and they probably know it too), but it garners clicks and discussion.

There’s a reason guys like him and Pronman will never work for an NHL organization.
Dom is Dubas’ pseudonym…

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Great read in NY Post Online by Larry Brooks making compelling case to honor Eddie Westfall as part of the 50th anniversary season and send #18 up to the rafters.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Nelson is our top center. No idea why people keep talking Barzal as our best center. He's just not there yet. He's got the most potential, but he has not eclipsed Nelson in terms of production and value.
Yeah, every team they play against are saying, “we have to stop that Nelson guy!”

Nelson had his best season at the age of 30 (where his shooting % was 22%) and Barzal had his worst season and they had the same number of points in the same games.

Barzal is the teams top C.

Last edited:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Depending on whatever the final roster shake out to be, I think this is the make or break year for Barzal. If he doesn’t put up big numbers, then I think many of us will just have to accept that Barzal is a very good/elite 2C and not the 1C we all hoped he would be

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Yeah, every team they play against are saying, “we have to stop that Nelson guy!”

Nelson had his best season at the age of 30 (where his shooting % was 22%) and Barzal had his worst season and they had the same number of points in the same games.

Totally agree. Coaches are game planning to slow down or stop #13 since he blazed onto the nhl scene at age 20. Have a hunch coaches to this day are not doing the same for Nelson.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Great read in NY Post Online by Larry Brooks making compelling case to honor Eddie Westfall as part of the 50th anniversary season and send #18 up to the rafters.

I don't like the idea at all. They need to stop the retirements until after another cup is won. The dynasty teams and what came before should be finished now.

Reactions: JKP and The Real JT

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Yes, Nelson was the most dangerous threat. Teams are learning to let Barzal whirl and twirl since he's really no threat of scoring on anything but a break away.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Give me a break. Nobody was planning to gameplan Nelson over Barzal.
Honestly, I don't give a flying f who the other teams are "gameplanning against", lmao. What a myopic view that they aren't game planning against every single player on the ice. What does that have to do with the cost of coffee beans in Nicaragua? Nelson is the only center on the team that can play with all the best players and have chemistry with them, as well as make them look better on the ice. He's also our biggest scoring threat at even strength. So keep measuring things by your imagination on other coaches sweaty palms, and I'll stick to, ya know, the way they play.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I don't like the idea at all. They need to stop the retirements until after another cup is won. The dynasty teams and what came before should be finished now.
If it's in commeration of the entire team history, I can see where Eddie's value lies. If they are ever gonna do something for him, it would be cool if they did it while he is still alive.

That said, I won't mind if they don't. It's one of those things I'm ok either way with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad