Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Okay, here's my out of the box projections

Kadri is signed - salary is adjusted for cap space, maybe low this year and next and spikes when Bailey is off the books

Mayfield and Beau go to Vancouver for JT Miller (no one will see that one coming)

We sign two defensemen on $1 million contracts (imagine if it is DeHaan and Subban, the fanbase would cover 50 pages here by midnight!)

Salo and Hutton round out the Top 8 on defense (Pay attention! LL would NOT have given Hutton a 3-year deal if he didn't think he could handle the 3rd pair NOW!)

Pageau to Colorado with retention so Colorado can afford him. Colorado is not going into the upcoming year with no proven #2 center. It will be for Martin Kaut and a late pick. Colorado is looking to max it's window.

Bellows is dealt for a goalie prospect and Dobson and Romanov are given bridge deals.

With all these moves we are set to compete now while not gutting our prospect pool.

Miller - Kadri - Palmieri
Parise - Barzal - Wahlstrom (they will not be facing the best defense matchup)
Lee - Nelson - Bailey
Holmstrom - CC - CC (yep, Martin is in the press box, or buried if cap is needed)

Why would Nelson or Pageau be going to Colorado specifically? This isn't a trade with Colorado, this is a UFA signing here and I see a lot better fits cap-wise than Colorado for either of those players. Both of them also carry a modified NTC that eliminates half the league.
If Nelson or Pageau have Colorado on their 'no-trade' clause I'd be stunned

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Maybe I’m smoking too much serious shit but no I don’t. He is under team control, can’t leave. If he wants to force his way out he will be the best player available on the market and under team control. If the consequence of icing your best roster is potentially having to make a tkachuk-esque trade next offseason so be it.
Obviously it means leave after next season or force his way out sooner....and yes, you knew this,

And no, I do not see moving him to wing as being the best thing for this roster. The best thing for this roster has always been putting the best wings possible on each side of him, something they have pretty much neglected from the get go.....

Hopefully, Nelson can shoot his norm (no way does he repeat his 22% from last season) and makes 300 attempts and Palms builds on his 14-12-26 in his last 40 end of last season, giving Matty two potential 30-goal scorers on each side of him. Neither of them are difference makers, but along with Wahsltrom those two have the best "shots" on the team and is about the best we can hope for...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Okay, here's my out of the box projections

Kadri is signed - salary is adjusted for cap space, maybe low this year and next and spikes when Bailey is off the books

Increases or decreases in salary don't impact the cap for a single season, the cap is only affected by the AAV. Having a spike doesn't change anything if the dollar amount is the same over the course of the deal.

Mayfield and Beau go to Vancouver for JT Miller (no one will see that one coming)

We sign two defensemen on $1 million contracts (imagine if it is DeHaan and Subban, the fanbase would cover 50 pages here by midnight!)

Salo and Hutton round out the Top 8 on defense (Pay attention! LL would NOT have given Hutton a 3-year deal if he didn't think he could handle the 3rd pair NOW!)

Pageau to Colorado with retention so Colorado can afford him. Colorado is not going into the upcoming year with no proven #2 center. It will be for Martin Kaut and a late pick. Colorado is looking to max it's window.

Bellows is dealt for a goalie prospect and Dobson and Romanov are given bridge deals.

With all these moves we are set to compete now while not gutting our prospect pool.

Miller - Kadri - Palmieri
Parise - Barzal - Wahlstrom (they will not be facing the best defense matchup)
Lee - Nelson - Bailey
Holmstrom - CC - CC (yep, Martin is in the press box, or buried if cap is needed)

If Nelson or Pageau have Colorado on their 'no-trade' clause I'd be stunned

I don't think Colorado would be on their no trade list, but Colorado would have to clear salary to make it work.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
don’t think he’s NYI property though.
LI meaning from LI

Spumoni Garden is awesome!!

Grew up in Bensonhurst. Would walk to Davinci's on 18th Ave and 65th st from 61st st and 23rd ave. A&L on 18th and 61st was good too but no comparison to DaVinci

When I lived in Bay Ridge, Vesuvio on 73rd and 3rd was my place. GREAT scungili marinara!!

Worked on 55th and 3rd in NYC. We'd go to Ray Bari across the street. It was good but I felt a tad overrated
J&V made terrific pizza as well. Can speak to the last 20 years though. As kids we would hit both and compare.

Reactions: Mike C

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Why would Nelson or Pageau be going to Colorado specifically? This isn't a trade with Colorado, this is a UFA signing here and I see a lot better fits cap-wise than Colorado for either of those players. Both of them also carry a modified NTC that eliminates half the league.
Maybe Girard is coming back the other way?
Fwiw I wouldn't hesitate to send them Pageau if that were the case. But not Brock. They would have to add quite a bit if they wanted Nelson.

Last edited:

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Ya, I don't know why peeps are wanting to trade Beau and now Nelson too just to work Kadri in....ugh.

Our best goal scorer and a 25-year old wing, and one of the few we have with any speed just to pay Kadri more than he is worth...

No, lets hope for the following:

1) Kadri comes in at no more than 5 years and no more than 7 million per
2) Bailey is the "cap clearing dump" trade and he is moved without costing any meaningful assets even if it means retaining a million over the final two years and/or not getting anything meaningful back
3) We are able to sign both Dobby and Romanov to bridge deals
4) We have some cap space left over for perhaps another F and a veteran LD to complete with Salo

I don't think Miller or Tarasenko are going anywhere at this point and unless Kane makes a fuss, he is likely staying until the deadline as well....

Kadri is likely the best we can do, let's not make it worse by having to trade AB for cap space or lose Brock....

Reactions: isles55

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Ya, I don't know why peeps are wanting to trade Beau and now Nelson too just to work Kadri in....ugh.

Our best goal scorer and a 25-year old wing, and one of the few we have with any speed just to pay Kadri more than he is worth...

2) Bailey is the "cap clearing dump" trade and he is moved without costing any meaningful assets even if it means retaining a million over the final two years and/or not getting anything meaningful back
4) We have some cap space left over for perhaps another F and a veteran LD to complete with Salo

I don't think Miller or Tarasenko are going anywhere at this point and unless Kane makes a fuss, he is likely staying until the deadline as well....

Kadri is likely the best we can do, let's not make it worse by having to trade AB for cap space or lose Brock....
Kadri at 7m per son is WAY WAY WAY to high

To me this whole Kadri thing feels like him waiting for Colorado to clear space not the isles.
i hope so. i dont want him at anything over 5 unless its super short term like 2 years

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

You’re grossly misunderstanding me. I think signing Kadri is a stupid idea and we’d be better served going into next season with the current group and figuring out what we need to do to make space before the NEXT group of elite wingers goes to market. I don’t want to trade Nelson. However, if Kadri comes in at 7 mil at least one player has to go, and an obvious candidate is a player at a position we might be in excess of. Nelson actually has value, he might well return a 2023 first rounder. Colorado fans have indicated that they need a 2C. That’s the fit. I don’t want to do it but if we’re going this route it’s a path that makes sense.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Before we pencil Kadri in, we really still don't know anything. The idea that silence correlates with Lou has gained momentum to the point where bloggers and even regular media types are picking up on it and repeating it, but that doesn't mean it's legit. I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but we don't know more today than we did last week.

BTW, when people posts line combos and break up Lee-Nelson-Beau, they seem to be forgetting that was the best line last year by far.

I don't expect Nelson to be dealt if Kadri signs here, but if so how about Nelson to COL for Devon Toews. :oops:

Reactions: The Real JT

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
anything more than 5 million per year for Kadri is an overpayment. Only silver lining I see are the same people writing about this are the same ones that read we got Johnny G.

If we sign Kadri for 7 mill per year this team is not winning the Stanley cup this decade.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am really hoping that if Kadri is signed, the AAV will be under Lee's $7 million and either at or even under Nelson's $6 million in AAV.

Since Lou is typically mindful of overall team salary structure, that might be our best recourse against a significant overpayment.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Before we pencil Kadri in, we really still don't know anything. The idea that silence correlates with Lou has gained momentum to the point where bloggers and even regular media types are picking up on it and repeating it, but that doesn't mean it's legit. I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but we don't know more today than we did last week.

BTW, when people posts line combos and break up Lee-Nelson-Beau, they seem to be forgetting that was the best line last year by far.

I don't expect Nelson to be dealt if Kadri signs here, but if so how about Nelson to COL for Devon Toews. :oops:

take if for what its worth. My eye test would agree with you but looked at a bunch of even strength line combinations:
Lee -Nelson - Beau 18 goals for , 17 goals agains +1 , 299 minutes together , 3.6 goals per 60
Bailey - JGP - Palmieri 15 goals for, 4 goals against , +11. 227 minutes together , 4.0 goals per 60.

I am happy to chalk up to a statistical anomaly but interesting none the less. I would still go with Lee - Nelson - Beau as our best line last year.

Reactions: MJF and doublechili

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I dotn want Kadri at 7 million either....but if we signed him (and Lou ALWAYS OVERPAYS) we need to hope it is no more than that...

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I hate to bursts everyone’s bubble, if Kadri is signed here (which I maintain he won’t be) it’s absolutely going to be for seven, if not more per.

This is the same GM who gave Lee seven per, same GM that gave KP five per.

There is no way Kadri goes from the Avs to the islanders and isn’t going to cash in majorly on lous desperation to make a move.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad