Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I thought we were talking about Jost wearing Faulk's 27
You mean #28 Justin Faulk :laugh:
6177159710_f504b69929_o.jpg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
All portents suggest, the name Lemieux is about to become big in the hockey world.

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
So that's twice we've gotten Ghost and he didn't take #14 either time ... kind of odd, no? Like, it's not getting retired like #12 obviously is, so why has it seemingly been pulled out of circulation?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So that's twice we've gotten Ghost and he didn't take #14 either time ... kind of odd, no? Like, it's not getting retired like #12 obviously is, so why has it seemingly been pulled out of circulation?

#12 is getting retired? News to me.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I mean, come on. It's clearly going into the rafters at some point once Staal decides to officially retire. It's been 8 years since he was traded and #12 has yet to be worn again.

It’s been 7 years since anyone has worn #65. Is Ron Hainsey heading to the rafters as well?

Eric was a great player for us, but a pretty poor captain. And it was clear by the end of his stint here that he was giving less than a half-ass effort on the ice.

He’ll likely join the Hurricanes Hall of Fame with Ward and Williams, but to my understanding, that doesn’t prevent their jersey number from being used again.

Reactions: cptjeff

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's soft retired. But I don't think 12 is going to get officially retired either.

But also, Ghost only wore 14 with Arizona. With the Flyers he was #53 (5 and 3 averages to 4?), but that was taken in ARZ, the Wings and here he was 41. Maybe he's just always wanted the 4- retired in Philly. Wasn't in use in Arizona, maybe they (and perhaps us) didn't want to give a single digit to a trade deadline guy?

I'd be neat if we could get a reporter to ask him.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
The franchise is almost 30 years old and E. Staal still has the most points in a Canes uniform. He did that with Chad Larose stapled to him for at least 100 games. The guy was a key player in us winning our single cup. He scored some huge goals when it mattered too. Shock At The Rock & game 2 against the Devils with 3 seconds left to tie the game.

It’s been years since he’s been gone and people tend to forget. But I think he absolutely still deserves his # retired.

And to add. What becomes your criteria for someone to deserve their number to be retired?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And to add. What becomes your criteria for someone to deserve their number to be retired?

Assuming you're talking to me, I'll look at the numbers that have ACTUALLY been retired for this team: Francis, RBA and Wesley.

Francis and RBA had individual success, both winning shiny hardware in their time with the Canes. I don't believe Wesley ever did, so that's clearly not a prerequisite.

Everyone had some semblance of team success, with RBA and Wesley winning the Cup, and Francis going to the SCF. But I don't think we're lowering the bar as far as to say "Make it to the Finals and get your # retired." That'd be silly. And if we're lowering the bar to "huge goals when it mattered," Jokinen and Martinook would fall in line, and I know no ones advocating for them

Ultimately, the only consistent fact I could find with all 3 of them was loyalty and longevity.

Francis was a great Whaler and obviously found a lot of success with other teams. He could have easily remained in Pittsburgh or joined another contender and probably won another Cup or two. Instead, he agreed to return to the Hurricanes and labored it out here.

Same deal with Wesley. 13 straight years with the Whalers/Hurricanes (ignoring a 7-game stint with Toronto), and remaining a Top 4 defender until his last game played is insanely impressive.

And obviously, RBA is RBA. If there was only 1 person per team that could have their jersey retired, it's RBA all the way. He WAS the Hurricanes when he played and remains the same as the coach.

That logic tracks. Maybe they are worried giving #12 out would piss Jordan off? I also don’t think they are going to issue #30 anytime soon either.

Maybe not. But like I said, I don't believe those in the "Hurricanes Hall of Fame" have their number retired. I could be wrong about that, but that seems to be the difference between going into the HoF and actually getting the jersey retired. Theoretically, a goalie could choose #30 or a forward #14.

Actually, looking at Hockey Reference, Aaron Dell apparently picked #30 in the very short time he was here. Whether that actually mattered or not is up to interpretation.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad