Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I mean we have a few numbers that are soft retired at this point:

90 :sarcasm:

1721169143440.png

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
i'm ok with 12 getting retired, if they raise it to the rafters and about 3/4s of the way up it just stops. then in the offseason when it realizes what the hockey world actually thinks of it, it can rededicate itself and make it the rest of the way.

It gets raised to the rafters, stops halfway, gets #59 put up next to it, then raises the rest of the way.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
1 I think is just out of style (because its been retired in so many places).

I’m a little surprised they've kept with #9 especially with Dundon in charge now.

63 hasn’t and shouldn’t be issued either.

Dwight Helminen in 2009 wore 63.

1721173696902.png

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I've always assumed they'd get their numbers retired either at the same time or on back to back nights.

Maybe, but if I were a betting man, I’d say it’s much more likely they both remain in the HoF thing we’ve got going on. They’re both very good players for us that were very important to the franchise at its (current) top moment, but I don’t think they reach RBA/Francis level. Maybe they reach Wesley-level, but I’ve always been 50/50 on his jersey getting retired in the first place. If we had the HoF established when we retired it, I imagine he’d be there instead.

Not popular, but I wouldn't have a problem giving out most of the soft retired numbers.

I’d agree with that. Establish a grace period where they remain soft retired (maybe 10 years?), then put them back in rotation. We know #30 is a very popular goalie number, so it’s strange to prevent goalies from wearing it, but not actually retire the jersey.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Maybe, but if I were a betting man, I’d say it’s much more likely they both remain in the HoF thing we’ve got going on. They’re both very good players for us that were very important to the franchise at its (current) top moment, but I don’t think they reach RBA/Francis level. Maybe they reach Wesley-level, but I’ve always been 50/50 on his jersey getting retired in the first place. If we had the HoF established when we retired it, I imagine he’d be there instead.

I’d agree with that. Establish a grace period where they remain soft retired (maybe 10 years?), then put them back in rotation. We know #30 is a very popular goalie number, so it’s strange to prevent goalies from wearing it, but not actually retire the jersey.
Is 30 a popular goalie # anymore? The only starter who wears it that I can think of is Sorokin. Theres probavly some out west I’m not thinking of.

Edit: I just looked it up on Hockey-Reference and it has Ty Smith wearing 24 for the Canes and Jarvis had it all year. I’m guessing that Dell as #30 never happened.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm still curious about the cap implications of the $2m in bonus he received from us and the Caps on July 1. Unless he agreed to not receive the bonus or otherwise paid it back, not sure how you could pay a player money and not have it count against the cap.

But hey, I'll take the free $3.9m in cap space any day. Let's get Jarvis locked down for 8-years now.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Lots of cap space now. May even have Fast on ltir which would add another 2 million. Still need to make a move for another centre imo. Not sure I see a fit for Drury on the roster unless KK is moved
Hard part is figuring out what the cap space is (at least for me). Capwages says $5,949,167, puckmedia says $11,681,667 including Kuzy.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
This is a situation where I'd feel better if Waddell were still here.

Seems like the Canes have been in this spot a bunch of times in recent years, and the front office pulled a rabbit out of its hat over and over. Hopefully, that wasn't all Don's doing because we could use another rabbit or two.

Trochek, Burns, Orlov, Pacioretty, etc...

Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad