Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm still curious about the cap implications of the $2m in bonus he received from us and the Caps on July 1. Unless he agreed to not receive the bonus or otherwise paid it back, not sure how you could pay a player money and not have it count against the cap.

But hey, I'll take the free $3.9m in cap space any day. Let's get Jarvis locked down for 8-years now.
that bonus money will figure into the mutual buyout math . no cap implications

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This is a situation where I'd feel better if Waddell were still here.

Seems like the Canes have been in this spot a bunch of times in recent years, and the front office pulled a rabbit out of its hat over and over. Hopefully, that wasn't all Don's doing because we could use another rabbit or two.

Trochek, Burns, Orlov, Pacioretty, etc...

I don’t know. He was here when they had $6 mil in space late offseason 2021. That hasn’t paid dividends.

The other notable delayed offseason move was Jake Gardiner.

Maybe looking to improve in-season is the appropriate thing to do here.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Some people aren’t motivated solely by money. Maybe being in America is bad for his mental health/family life, etc.

I'd also guess the amount of work that goes into competing in the NHL vs. the KHL has to be waaay lower.

I assume, for someone as talented as Kuzy, you can coast a little bit in the KHL.

That comes up a lot with interviews with guys thinking about retiring. It's the off-ice work that seems to be the thing they want to retire from. You hear it in all sports. The games themselves, they love and sound like they'd like to play forever. But the training takes a huge toll.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Assuming Jost and one of Robinson/Lemieux are waived to start the season and stillman is our 7D, we have between 16.3 and 16.5 in salary cap right now.

Could be 18.7-18.9 if Fast is LTIR’d

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I highly doubt that re-signing Necas and Jarvis is all they end up doing with their newly found flexibility. Too bad the flexibility is 2wks too late for the ufa market.

I wonder what other teams think of Drury as trade-bait.

Reactions: CandyCanes

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
So, how would you spend it? Keep some in reserve for trade deadline deals too?
Trade dealine as in us taking cap dumps because we missed the playoffs?

Because the face we have this much cap and couldn't pay one of our top RFAs reeks unless they do something. And no one is giving up anything good at this point.

You bet, it'll be laine.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So, how would you spend it? Keep some in reserve for trade deadline deals too?
Get Jarvis locked up long term for an 8x8

trade Necas and Drury to Vegas for Karlsson and Brisson

sign sprong to a 1 year 3 mil deal.

profit.

since none but the first item happen. just ride and see where things go in the first 2 months.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Nadeu - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - KK - Necas
Carrier - Drury - Roslovic
Marty - Staal - Robinson

That might be close to our starting line up
That top-6 is basically the setup I thought we should go with if we kept Necas. Create two consistent pairings of two out of Aho, Jarvis, Necas, and Svechnikov--cycle through other pieces until we find fits. Don't overload the top line.

I'm not sure if it's Nadeau and KK, but those are as good of variable pieces as any.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Imagine paying the new STM prices for that lineup lol.
i know this is on par for you but all have done is switched Bunting for Nadeau and Turbo for Roslovic. Turbo came off of a terrible 22-23 and folks werent sure he was going to be much in 23-24. its really isnt that big of a change, especially not lol worthy.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Past 3 seasons:

Roslovic - 1.97 5v5 P/60
Teravainen - 1.53 5v5 P/60

There’s more to Teravainen’s former role on the team, obviously. Those responsibilities will just be spread out to multiple players. Roslovic is good enough to pick up his EV scoring until a desirable replacement is acquired later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad