Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
No walker yet, but age got to me. I hung up my skates and got rid of all my gear around 6-7 years ago. A lot of bumps and bruises along the way, but after probably 45+ years of skating with my only serious injury being a torn rotator, I figured I was not going to push my luck any longer, plus I got to the point I couldn't stand the late games any longer and a lot of them were late and I'd feel like shit the next day. Haven't stepped on the ice, or even roller rink, since and likely never will.

I remember when I was in my late 20s/early 30s playing pick-up and there was this "old" dude with the brown leather gloves as old as he was, who you could tell played a lot of hockey in his day. Everyone hated him because he couldn't keep up any longer so he just took cheap shots all the time. I didn't want to be that guy, although I bet he had fun being that guy.
One of the docs I play with in Winston is like that, except without the cheapshots and with a hell of a lot more skill. Guy is getting near retirement so he can't blow past people physically anymore, in fact usually the slowest guy on the ice, but he also used to play D1 back in the day and every once in a while he'll just pull something out of nowhere that leaves my jaw on the floor.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
So...who does everyone think has the better season this year?

Drury or Kotkaniemi.

I want to qualify assuming equal linemates. Which won't happen.

Reactions: Daeavorn

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So...who does everyone think has the better season this year?

Drury or Kotkaniemi.

I want to qualify assuming equal linemates. Which won't happen.
I think KK is due for a bump in improvement. Listening to that Rod interview where he talks about KK and Necas he talked about KK needing a push sometimes and that he had Drury there to replace him when he has to. Says to me that he still sees a hierarchy between them when it comes to skill and ability to play a higher role. After I heard that I feel like KK will get another shot at a higher center spot than Drury to start. I don’t think he’s got a huge offensive upside but he’s better than he was this season. I can see a rebound.

I know you wanted them to have equal linemates but whoever gets the better job and keeps it will usually have the better season. I think it’s KK this year, but my hopes around him are fairly limited at this point. It’s a choice between two bottom six centers that don’t make a lot of sense higher up in the lineup.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think KK is due for a bump in improvement. Listening to that Rod interview where he talks about KK and Necas he talked about KK needing a push sometimes and that he had Drury there to replace him when he has to. Says to me that he still sees a hierarchy between them when it comes to skill and ability to play a higher role. After I heard that I feel like KK will get another shot at a higher center spot than Drury to start. I don’t think he’s got a huge offensive upside but he’s better than he was this season. I can see a rebound.

I know you wanted them to have equal linemates but whoever gets the better job and keeps it will usually have the better season. I think it’s KK this year, but my hopes around him are fairly limited at this point. It’s a choice between two bottom six centers that don’t make a lot of sense higher up in the lineup.

We have two good 3Cs and one elite 3C (Staal) rather than a 2C/3C/4C. That's sort of the crux of the weirdness of our roster at the moment.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Lots of info here for a nhl.com article:

Of note:

-RFAs the focus now
-Necas’ arb hearing date is 8/4
-1yr to 8yr deals on table for Necas
-Necas will likely get done before Jarvis
-Matter of fact language with Necas, gushing about Jarvis
-Hints at a bridge for Jarvis, long term still on table too
-We like our group
Unless we shake something loose in a late trade. We will have a rotating door for prospects this season

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Term for Necas is interesting in that they can Subban (trade before protection kicks in) him up until July 1st 2026.

Thinking about a future trade, certainty of control may give them more options vs a near term free agency date. Does Sergachev to Utah happen if he’s a year away from UFA and effectively in control of things?

How much is the incentive to get him to put his future in Carolina’s control?

Whalermania

Dec 25, 2014
Mine was a small tear. Doctor wanted to do PT a bunch and not surgery. So I didn't get surgery. Only bothers me for the most part if I throw things or lift something the wrong way. Other than that, it's not noticeable.

Played whiffle ball a number of years back and after throwing that light ball a bunch of times, it was sore for weeks so I just avoid throwing things too often. Not hard to do since I don't have young kids to play baseball with and don't play in any baseball/softball leagues any longer.
For me it was my back, but if I take enough aspirin or if there's enough beer involved, I can still play.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If both Jarvis and Necas get locked in for max term despite the early Necas trade request rumors, I'll be very happy with our offseason. Losing a bit of depth is worth it if two under-26 talents were successfully locked in as core pieces during that same period. If both Jarvis and Necas get bridged, hopefully the Canes make one more Sprong-level forward addition.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well I don't know what's going on with the Jarvis contract right now but I do know this, I bought his jersey shirt and it came today. Hope he gets signed soon because uh, I'd feel like an idiot if I bought this for nothing even if I only paid $15 for it.

20240718_221348.jpg20240718_221407.jpg

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If both Jarvis and Necas get locked in for max term despite the early Necas trade request rumors, I'll be very happy with our offseason. Losing a bit of depth is worth it if two under-26 talents were successfully locked in as core pieces during that same period. If both Jarvis and Necas get bridged, hopefully the Canes make one more Sprong-level forward addition.
Sprong isn't worth the roster spot. Rather use that ice time to see if Suzuki will sink or swim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad