Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I can't imagine the Canes are remotely interested in Robertson. We're going to let one of the guys in our system take that spot.

The issue I see with all of our much-vaunted prospects is 1. All of them are more raw and inexperienced than our teenage crop has historically been; and 2. All of them outside of Ryan Suzuki are right-handed and the open top-6 spot is LW. A prospect swap of Robertson and, say, Jackson Blake, would be a quick correction of both of these question marks.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The issue I see with all of our much-vaunted prospects is 1. All of them are more raw and inexperienced than our teenage crop has historically been; and 2. All of them outside of Ryan Suzuki are right-handed and the open top-6 spot is LW. A prospect swap of Robertson and, say, Jackson Blake, would be a quick correction of both of these question marks.
It's a lateral move at best, and you also run significant risks bringing in somebody who hasn't been developed in your system. You don't know the personality, you don't know their conditioning, they don't know your coaches and your system, nobody knows if they'll play as well in your style, especially with a team like the Canes with a really distinct system. And we're talking about a disgruntled guy with big question marks around how willing he is to do the work and buy into the current team's approach.

Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it doesn't. But most teams would rather see what their own prospects, who they know and have comfort and familiarly with, will work before they go out and get a guy with big question marks from someone else. And there are very good reasons for that.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I could see interest in Robertson, but I don’t think he’d cost a prospect like Blake. Sounds like there wasn’t/isn’t much interest league-wide in Robertson.

If they were to trade Blake, I’d save him as part of a package for a more established player than Robertson.

If there were to trade for Robertson, I’d look at the Chicago 3rd and/or RD prospect (not named Morrow).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Hell no, Robertson has fairly low value right now, he hasn't developed nearly as well as TOR hoped...Blake has way more upside potential if he hits

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I feel like Blake is more of a maybe than our other winger prospects, but that's just me. We also have a real glut of right shots.
Blake was also rumored to be the wing prospect in the Guentzel deal when it was coming together before Koivunen was revealed in the deal.

I can understand considering moving him, but Blake is worth a lot more than Robertson.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Blake was also rumored to be the wing prospect in the Guentzel deal when it was coming together before Koivunen was revealed in the deal.

I can understand considering moving him, but Blake is worth a lot more than Robertson.

I get your point. The Canes will have to deal with the imbalance at some point, but it doesn't have to be immediate and it might be if Winnipeg underperforms this season and Ehlers becomes available for trade. Regardless of all of that, there will be quite a few RW spots up for grabs, especially if they do end up trading Necas next offseason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The only real problem I see with Robertson, is he's not a very good skater so I wonder how he'd fit in with Rod's system. He does work hard, has a good motor and has a good shot the Canes could use though. I wouldn't be against trying to acquire him depending on the price. Could be one of those distressed asset type of acquisitions that you hope works out. My guess is Toronto looks at him the same way though.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I'm bored this morning and responded to the main board thread about team rosters using U26 players and prospects. Curious others thoughts, especially on the order after the obvious ones.

Canes

Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Jarvis
Necas - Drury - Bradley Nadeau
Jackson Blake - Ryan Suzuki - Felix Unger Sorum
Gleb Trikozov - Justin Robidas - Noel Gunler
Nikita Artamonov - Lucas Mercuri - Alexander Rykov
Jayden Perron

Alexander Nikishin - Scott Morrow
Charles Alexis Legault - Anttoni Honka
Aleksi Heimosalmi - Domenik Fensore
Dominik Badinka - Ronan Seeley
Jesper Sellgren - Simon Forsmark
Joel Nystrom

Pyotr Kochetkov
Yaniv Perets
Ruslan Khazheyev

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm bored this morning and responded to the main board thread about team rosters using U26 players and prospects. Curious others thoughts, especially on the order after the obvious ones.
its only for arguments sakes but...

Svech-KK-Jarvis
Blake-FUS-Necas
Gleb-Drury-Nadeau
Art-Robidas-Rykov
Perron-Mercuri-Gunler

Charles Alexis Legault - Heimosalmi
Nystrom - Badinka
Fransen- Simon Forsmark
Kol-Seeley

Pyotr Kochetkov
Yaniv Perets
Ruslan Khazheyev

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

Svech-KK-Jarvis
Blake-FUS-Necas
Gleb-Drury-Nadeau
Art-Robidas-Rykov
Perron-Mercuri-Gunler

Nystrom - Badinka
Fransen- Simon Forsmark
Kol-Seeley

Pyotr Kochetkov
Yaniv Perets
Ruslan Khazheyev
No Suzuki?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think this demonstrates both why Carolina took the big swing on the offer sheet with Kotkaniemi (age and complete lack of high end centers in the prospect pool) and that center remains a huge long-term hole, even if Kotkaniemi pans out as a 3C.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think this demonstrates both why Carolina took the big swing on the offer sheet with Kotkaniemi (age and complete lack of high end centers in the prospect pool) and that center remains a huge long-term hole, even if Kotkaniemi pans out as a 3C.

I think they understand, though, that the value in the draft after the first round isn't normally at center, because all of the best ones get drafted early with only a few exceptions. If enough wingers and defensemen pan out as potential NHL assets, however, they will be golden for the next disgruntled centerman submitting a trade request.

Reactions: DaveG

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006

Svech-KK-Jarvis
Blake-FUS-Necas
Gleb-Drury-Nadeau
Art-Robidas-Rykov
Perron-Mercuri-Gunler

Nystrom - Badinka
Fransen- Simon Forsmark
Kol-Seeley

Pyotr Kochetkov
Yaniv Perets
Ruslan Khazheyev
i'm not going to put the thought into how this would look, but i'll say have some fun and run Necas-Jarvis-KK-Drury down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad