Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
I wasn't aware of the thing that is "wharrgarbl". Now I am. It is a bit sad that my life is genuinely fuller now that it was just moments ago.
Well I was aware of the word but it's just tough to work into everyday conversation with a friend or co-worker... sort of like "Gonorrhea".

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well I was aware of the word but it's just tough to work into everyday conversation with a friend or co-worker... sort of like "Gonorrhea".
I don't know... the older I get, there more aware I become of the existence of persons in this world who could most aptly be described as "warts-onna-dick".

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Glad we didn't bite on Hronek, he fed off being with Hughes the same way TDA was able to thrive being sheltered by Slavin...feels a bit OEL 2.0. I'd much rather have Necas @ $7.25M than Hronek (of course that saga is still ongoing so who knows).

Reactions: chaz4hockey

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Those final 2 years or so have the potential to look bad. But we’re going to get really good value the first 5-6 seasons of this contract if Friedman’s numbers are correct.

You also imagine in 7-8 years, the cap has risen at least 25-35%, so this contract won’t hurt as bad if he tails off.

Overall I’d give this deal an A grade still.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Those final 2 years or so have the potential to look bad. But we’re going to get really good value the first 5-6 seasons of this contract if Friedman’s numbers are correct.

You also imagine in 7-8 years, the cap has risen at least 25-35%, so this contract won’t hurt as bad if he tails off.

6 years from now 6.5m for Slavin will not look bad at all. Between the cap increase and his style of play whatever drop off he has will be nullified cost wise.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Food for thought:

I wonder if it is presumptuous to think that as the cap rises over the next 10 years, that small market teams will continue to spend to the cap.

Of course, if much of the cap rise is covered by League revenues then it won’t matter.

However, if not, then the large market teams with their significant revenue advantages will slowly but surely again have a personnel advantage.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Food for thought:

I wonder if it is presumptuous to think that as the cap rises over the next 10 years, that small market teams will continue to spend to the cap.

Of course, if much of the cap rise is covered by League revenues then it won’t matter.

However, if not, then the large market teams with their significant revenue advantages will slowly but surely again have a personnel advantage.
Thats an interesting thought. It hasn't happened in the NFL yet but they have an almost complete revenue sharing model with very few exceptions (I think the Cowboys merch is the only thing not shared) and the NFL's TV deals are something like 75% of the leagues total income.

Edit: I just looked it up the NFL shares TV deals and merch 100%. Ticket revenue goe 60% to the home team 40% to the away team everything else is kept by the teams that earn it (IE advertising, stadium profits if they own it, ect.)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I mean they'll look bad in the same way the last couple years of the big Jordo contract was bad. Wasn't great, but we were able to make it work and still remain incredibly competitive.

The cap will be around $90m when this kicks in. It's a great deal from the start, and should only get better even if the cap only rises to $95m when it's done (in all likelihood it'll rise more than that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad