Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
In the end I've been guilty in the past about players not taking discounts, but who does that in life?

None of us would.

We can question "how much is enough", but you have to always know your value. These two are some of the greatest performers we have seen.

They won't take less than their inferior peers. Let's just hope we find value guys, like how I wanted Rodrigues when he left Pittsburgh

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
In the end I've been guilty in the past about players not taking discounts, but who does that in life?

None of us would.

We can question "how much is enough", but you have to always know your value. These two are some of the greatest performers we have seen.

They won't take less than their inferior peers. Let's just hope we find value guys, like how I wanted Rodrigues when he left Pittsburgh
I can see small discounts where say Leon takes 12.5-13 and Connor takes 14 but we are not getting huge discounts like Stamkos and Hedman took to stay in Tampa for example. The tax up here is too high to expect that much of a break.

Just noticed I have more likes than posts so I guess my takes can’t be that bad :laugh:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You could hear how much the UFA role players wanted to stay with the team in the year end. Nobody was playing it close to the vest but leon, who has to because of his situation.

I think we will be really happy with the offseason.
Good point. Everyone was happy and on Board with sticking around. Except the one guy that has probably been coached by his agents with a 100M on the line. And still you could tell Drai had a good time this year and loves being an Oiler

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It's nice to hear that Foegele wants to be back, but I think the fundamental flaw in his game is he seems top heavy and easy to knock over for someone his size, if he trained with Andy O'Brian (MacKinnon & Crosby's trainer) in the summer I'd be all for bringing him back, without improved balance and center of gravity I just see what happened these playoffs repeating.

For people wanting Jeff Skinner in the top 6, I see him more as a Foegele replacement (2nd/3rd line tweener), he's got top 6 talent and could likely put in above the curve top 6 offense playing with McDavid or Drai, but the flaws make him not someone you want to force into a prominent roll, I'd rather play him lower and slide him up or down based on the circumstances of the game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Guys I'm not the best at knowing how much cap space we have during any offseason. So, if one can estimate, how much money do we have to play with this summer?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Again they are a union they are not fighting for the top tier guys they will always get paid regardless. But if they take less the mid tier guys take less and the bottom tier guys take less. It’s in the best interest of the union that top players make as close to market value as possible for this reason.
I think from your other posts that you know this, but just in case, it simply does not work this way now. When Doug Weight was playing there was no salary cap. Top end players getting more led to more money for everyone since spending had no ceiling. Today the pot is fixed. If the big guys get more there is less left for the others.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It's nice to hear that Foegele wants to be back, but I think the fundamental flaw in his game is he seems top heavy and easy to knock over for someone his size, if he trained with Andy O'Brian (MacKinnon & Crosby's trainer) in the summer I'd be all for bringing him back, without improved balance and center of gravity I just see what happened these playoffs repeating.

For people wanting Jeff Skinner in the top 6, I see him more as a Foegele replacement (2nd/3rd line tweener), he's got top 6 talent and could likely put in above the curve top 6 offense playing with McDavid or Drai, but the flaws make him not someone you want to force into a prominent roll, I'd rather play him lower and slide him up or down based on the circumstances of the game.
My problem with Foegele is that he doesn’t produce or accomplish anything in the bottom 6. Most of his goals and points are from playing with Draisaitl. Give him credit for taking advantage of the situation. I hope he gets paid just not by us.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think from your other posts that you know this, but just in case, it simply does not work this way now. When Doug Weight was playing there was no salary cap. Top end players getting more led to more money for everyone since spending had no ceiling. Today the pot is fixed. If the big guys get more there is less left for the others.
Yes thank you I want to go on record saying that I was wrong about how it works today.

lol thanks.

Honestly, Leon looks like a guy who needs a break to breath and he deserves that. Plus they have the McWedding.
Yes I’m sure the next thing on the docket for the three musketeers is Connor’s wedding. He will re sign within a couple weeks I’m 99% sure of this.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Stauffer likely isn't saying that stuff if it isn't close to true

lol thanks.

Honestly, Leon looks like a guy who needs a break to breath and he deserves that. Plus they have the McWedding.
Yeah probably tough to breath with that broken rib! Lol

Guys I'm not the best at knowing how much cap space we have during any offseason. So, if one can estimate, how much money do we have to play with this summer?

Do yourself a favor and check out capfriendly right before it closes. It will depend if we exercise a buyout or offload a guy like Kulak/Ceci, but we don't have a ton

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Since Stauffer said it, I'm going to put a full guarantee on Leon signing with us. But, it won't happen after the first couple days of free agency are done
Agreed. First few days to a week of Free Agency, Jackson (or whoever is the GM) will be focusing on actual free agents.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades before than to free up more space.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Agreed. First few days to a week of Free Agency, Jackson (or whoever is the GM) will be focusing on actual free agents.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades before than to free up more space.
There's a press conference with Jeff Jackson tomorrow

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I could see them signing Drai on the 1st. Isn’t that the earliest they can sign him anyway?

It might help as far as attracting free agents too. I’d personally want to get him locked up, then I have a solid number to work around before adding free agents.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I could see them signing Drai on the 1st. Isn’t that the earliest they can sign him anyway?

It might help as far as attracting free agents too. I’d personally want to get him locked up, then I have a solid number to work around before adding free agents.
I think they'll sign him in August.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeh if Stauff had been hearing anything different on the Leon front, he’d be in full damage control mode. Probably would tweet a cryptic reference to some guy who played in the WHL in the 70s who left his team and that team rebounded and won a championship. Let’s call him Slappy Anderson and the Saskatoon Wranglers or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad