Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not if he is "signed". Then you are trading for the contract.
Is there a deal even close to this that's ever happened that you are aware of? When guys are a month or less from UFA, it's typically a mid round pick or less because the trading team doesn't have any leverage if they aren't going to be able to/don't want to keep the guy.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Is there a deal even close to this that's ever happened that you are aware of? When guys are a month or less from UFA, it's typically a mid round pick or less because the trading team doesn't have any leverage if they aren't going to be able to/don't want to keep the guy.
severson cost a 3rd on a sign and trade

But what about the parameters? :sarcasm:
probably the better one to use here

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
severson cost a 3rd on a sign and trade

probably the better one to use here
Yes, most deals are a mid round pick or less whether a true sign and trade like that or just getting the rights and getting the guy signed. The only crazier one I remember is the Hartnell/Timonen trade many moons ago and even then the value was a pick. Sending those two players would seem to be a gross overpayment for this type of situation.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's an interesting player, but even putting aside that I personally wouldn't want to bring this person in, I don't think he's close to the right value.
yep, they could add the Jets first and I still wouldn't be interested. Trocheck, a guy with an injury history and older than Necas that Florida was looking to move to clear cap, still returned Haula, Wallmark, Eetu, and Priskie.

I would think the Canes would at minimum ask for Malloux, the Jets pick, Mesar or Josh Roy, and Armia or Savard as an equivalent since Necas holds more value than Tro did at the time.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
@Lempo as our CBA expert, wasn't there something in the CBA that prevents "sign & trades"...where it HAS to be a trade then sign (even if a contract is unofficially agreed to)?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
@Lempo as our CBA expert, wasn't there something in the CBA that prevents "sign & trades"...where it HAS to be a trade then sign (even if a contract is unofficially agreed to)?
no, nothing prohibits a sign and trade. Just not a NHL past time. The only way a gaining team can get 8 years is if they are sign and trades. You have to be on the roster by the trade deadline to be eligible to sign a guy to 8 years, until July 1st.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think this is slighty misinterpeted from the fact that you can extend a player for 8 years if you had him on the last TDL. So if you want to trade for someone between TDL and July 1 on a brand-new 8 year contract, it has to be a sign&trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad