Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The problem is Nikishin isn't a guarantee. I'm as hopeful as the next fan, but hoping a player can fill a hole in some future lineup at the cost of a player we KNOW can fill that hole is how we got KK instead of Trocheck.

1) you can't keep every free agent, period. You need to decide if the the player is worth it or if you think you can replace them with someone younger or someone via trade/free agency that is cheaper. This is no different than every team in the NHL. We are the 3rd team to move on from Dougie. I would have never paid him the contract, period.

2) By all accounts, Trocheck wanted to go to NY and wasn't staying in Carolina barring a significant overpay (and maybe not even that).

Nikishin has the skills to make the team, no doubt, but it's the matter of getting him over here that makes penciling him in (or signing contracts with the idea that he'll be in the lineup) a little presumptuous.
Sure, but teams do this all the time and if it doesn't work out, they move on to plan B. Sometimes teams are right to count on rookie/young player (Svech, Aho, Jarvis) and sometimes they make mistakes (KK, Boychuk, McBain). Having some players on ELC in the lineup is crucial to managing the cap for a team with cup aspirations.

Last edited:

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I admit that I was apprehensive about letting Hamilton go due to the difficulty of acquiring quality RHD, but they got it right. DeAngelo replaced him in Year 1. He brought back a nice return in trade; the 2nd ended up a primary piece in the Guentzel deal. Burns came at a modest cost and has filled that role just fine. They haven't felt Hamilton's loss 3 years in. Credit to them.
Just to add to this, since numbers > feelings (unless they disagree with how i feel, obvs) i went back and looked at how our replacements have stacked up with dougie in jersey. obviously, different teams so not perfect. and dougie at his best here (40 points in 47 games) is hard to touch. anyway...

year 1:
Dougie - 30 points in 62 games
TDA - 51 points in 64 games

year 2:
Dougie - 74 points (!) in 82 games
Burns - 61 points (also !) in 82 games

year 3:
Dougie - injury f's it up, but he looked great with 16 points in 20 games. does he keep it up or collapse with the rest of jersey? or was his absence why they collapsed?
Burns - 43 in 82, and looking like it is time to think about a new answer at RD1

just for fun - since the canes and devils faced off in the playoffs in year 2 here's how they compare in that 5 game series:
Burns - 3 points, +9 (2nd on team behind Slavin)
Dougie - 1 point, -10 (worst on jersey)
i defended him in the playoffs with us (still will - even/especially avoiding the ovechkin charge), but that series doesn't help his playoff performer narrative.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The more I think about the rumored deal with Vancouver, the more I think getting Hronek back for Necas makes sense, however, I don’t think it makes sense for CAR without them also going after Hoglander too, which the Canucks would probably balk at. Necas alone wouldn’t pull that sort of value.

Thinking about other rumored teams interested with non-futures to offer, only Farabee comes to mind as someone the Canes might be interested in.

Reactions: Murzu

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
If the concern is affording necas, why are we not concerned with affording Hronek?

Then we still need a primary shutdown RHD while paying Burns over 5 million to sit on the 3rd pair. Adding hronek really doesn’t make a lot of sense.
given hronek's alleged ask, i agree.

i don't want to trade necas, but if it comes to that and we go for D i'm leaning towards rasmus andersson. two more years at a decent hit. he's shown the ability to put up numbers as good as hronek.

but, that is purely based off stat-watching so somebody feel free to give me a better understanding of andersson as a good or bad option.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
The more I think about the rumored deal with Vancouver, the more I think getting Hronek back for Necas makes sense, however, I don’t think it makes sense for CAR without them also going after Hoglander too, which the Canucks would probably balk at. Necas alone wouldn’t pull that sort of value.

Thinking about other rumored teams interested with non-futures to offer, only Farabee comes to mind as someone the Canes might be interested in.
Necas and late draft pick for Hronek and Hoglander.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Can you enlighten me as to Hoglanders value?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
The Canucks would rightfully want a lot more.

Hoglander at just over $1M for another year is an enormous value
Only if he continues getting 24G per season shooting at like 20%, which is meh likely? ...prior to this season he was basically a 10G-20PT guy for the prior 3 seasons. Hell last year they sent him to the AHL and most fans were pretty much ready to give up on him. He's got skill, no doubt, but he's tiny and had stats likely inflated by his team exploding this year to a top 5 team. He's way more valuable to them right now ("24 goal scorer") than the rest of the league (average 10-15 goal scorer). Worth a flyer, but not much in assets

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Only if he continues getting 24G per season shooting at like 20%, which is meh likely? ...prior to this season he was basically a 10G-20PT guy for the prior 3 seasons. Hell last year they sent him to the AHL and most fans were pretty much ready to give up on him. He's got skill, no doubt, but he's tiny and had stats likely inflated by his team exploding this year to a top 5 team. He's way more valuable to them right now ("24 goal scorer") than the rest of the league (average 10-15 goal scorer). Worth a flyer, but not much in assets
I personally don't want the team to get smaller. That would only add to our struggles in the playoffs.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
given hronek's alleged ask, i agree.

i don't want to trade necas, but if it comes to that and we go for D i'm leaning towards rasmus andersson. two more years at a decent hit. he's shown the ability to put up numbers as good as hronek.

but, that is purely based off stat-watching so somebody feel free to give me a better understanding of andersson as a good or bad option.
I'll preface by saying again I don't want Hronek at $8M.

I think Andersson is the better player now on a great contract but I'd still rather have Hronek locked up long term into his early 30s than have another situation with a 29/30 year old Andersson needing a new contract in 2 years.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If they convert Necas into a defenseman, the asset pool to make other trades weakens. Sign a middle pairing D as a free agent and Necas becomes something they can harvest for future use.

The caveat being that someone like Hronek can be locked in for all-prime years long-term, while a run-of-the-mill middle-pair UFA is a shorter-term fix.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Respectfully, we don’t need another small defenseman.

Our defensive group has a lot of size to it already. We're about to get even more of it with Nikishin in 2 seasons. I think there's room for an offensive fixture to our blueline that's actually going to be around for the long-haul. Hronek also isn't all that small at 6 feet/170 lbs.

Reactions: Murzu and geehaad

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If the concern is affording necas, why are we not concerned with affording Hronek?

Then we still need a primary shutdown RHD while paying Burns over 5 million to sit on the 3rd pair. Adding hronek really doesn’t make a lot of sense.
I’d not be too concerned about a shutdown RD as long as Burns can keep up with Slavin. They could always address that come deadline were it a need. Hoglander at $1M would allow them tons of flexibility for the rest of the summer.

Hronek of course would have to be OK with a deal that started with a 7.

Respectfully, we don’t need another small defenseman.

Trade bait or future roster player?

Hronek’s 6’, not a small defender.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Necas is only a middle 6F; just get whatever cheaper warm body you can for him and call it a day.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I’d not be too concerned about a shutdown RD as long as Burns can keep up with Slavin. They could always address that come deadline were it a need. Hoglander at $1M would allow them tons of flexibility for the rest of the summer.

Hronek of course would have to be OK with a deal that started with a 7.

Hronek’s 6’, not a small defender.
we saw what the absence of a top shutdown guy does to this defense.

1717009601779.png

there is your top 16 upcoming RHD UFAs which could be available at the deadline. so it becomes a bidding battle for Larsson if Seattle doesnt do well. Or the best righty available is Savard or Petry :barf:

Hoglanders really doesnt provide much of any flexibility. The guy's offense will go down when his shooting percentage is returned to normal. He was a 4th liner during the playoffs.

8-9 million for Hogs and Hronek or 5.5 million for Pesce and 2.5-3.5 million for elsewhere.

option B sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad