Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

“My understanding from talking to teams around the league the last few days, at least half of the teams in the National Hockey League have checked in with Carolina over the past 7-10 days…”

Mentioned Montreal and Calgary specifically.

Montreal has the pieces to do a Trocheck+ type trade with us, which is what it would be price tag wise. Thinking Mailloux (as much as I dislike the guy) + Mesar or Josh Roy + some kind of pick (Jets first?)

Calgary would have to be entirely based around Rasmus Andersson which would probably be my preferred trade of the two in all honesty. An established top pair guy, not a #1 but pretty solid overall and on a good contract for another two years. Unless Montreal were to offer Reinbacher (and they wouldn't) their package would have to be a crazy overpay to beat an offer based around Andersson.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
They all smell blood, what with the the geek at the helm.
I mean, we have a roster in flux, a potential high skill guy reclamation project (or clamation project without the re-) we're almost certainly going to trade, and a new acting GM. It's not smelling blood so much as it is just basic due diligence.

Reactions: Daeavorn and Lempo

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Montreal has the pieces to do a Trocheck+ type trade with us, which is what it would be price tag wise. Thinking Mailloux (as much as I dislike the guy) + Mesar or Josh Roy + some kind of pick (Jets first?)

Calgary would have to be entirely based around Rasmus Andersson which would probably be my preferred trade of the two in all honesty. An established top pair guy, not a #1 but pretty solid overall and on a good contract for another two years. Unless Montreal were to offer Reinbacher (and they wouldn't) their package would have to be a crazy overpay to beat an offer based around Andersson.
Is Mailloux any better or more NHL ready than Morrow though? Or any more defensive-minded? That's ignoring the whole criminal privacy violation thing. Honestly the only pieces that Montreal has that are of any real interest are understandably, probably not available.

Last edited:

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020

“My understanding from talking to teams around the league the last few days, at least half of the teams in the National Hockey League have checked in with Carolina over the past 7-10 days…”

Mentioned Montreal and Calgary specifically.

latest twist in this story is Donnie Waddell taking his turtleneck collection to Columbus. he is likely to pursue one or more canes - skjei, necas, noesen come to mind. this is going to be an interesting summer. got your checkbook ready tommy dundo on guentzel, jarvis and skjei?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
I thought it would be next offseason that would see one of the biggest challenges to the teams will to keep pushing this entirely different method of roster construction and player contract negotiations.

I didn’t see Coyotes going to Utah and and owner willing to spend to fix the team. Not sure they go full drunk and stupid… but instead of a team that is used to dump bad contracts and LTIR deals so they can barely make the salary floor you likely will see them really push to make a splash and spend closer to the cap, maybe offer sheet a player or two to show they are serious, etc etc…

I’m not sure where players think the money is coming from with the cap only going up a few million this year when most high end teams have already spent that and then some with raises for their own star players on extensions that kick in next season.

But I expect to see more turnover than I expected this offseason. I think we have a number of good players and a good pipeline…. But I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see more than half the roster be different starting next season…. That’s going to seriously challenge Brindy to see the same success while having to teach the systems to half the roster….

We have to have cheap players to make it all fit under the cap as it seems more and more likely that even our mid players are going to likely get way more than they are valued at by our team in free agency.

Unger Sorem or some league min player will be guaranteed a full time roster spot just to help the cap. We want fresher legs in the bottom six… but we will need a situation like a Stepan willing to play for less to play for Brindy and take a discount to help fill the roster under the cap…

I’m sure we want to lock Jarvis up for 8… but if we try to also lock down a big name like Guentzel or trade/sign a high end roster player we quickly enter the domain of having too many big money deals and potentially being forced to bridge him….….

It will be interesting to see if we play hardball again with Necas and don’t actually trade him…. Something tickling the brain saying that unless it’s for a high end player in return we don’t just dump him and instead get two more years out of it or make him sit unsigned just to mess with his career. No team is going to sign Necas for enough money in an offer sheet that we just walk away from it… and honestly I bet the other GMs are afraid of our owner and what we will do for revenge again… it hasn’t been a home run success in the most recent revenge scenario….. but we are cutthroat enough with managing our cap flexibility that we will respond to a team trying to offer sheet him away or trying to poison our cap flexibility with a deal Necas will sign that is more than we wanted to pay but still not enough for us to take the picks instead of matching…

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Is Mailloux any better or more NHL ready than Morrow though? Or any more defensive-minded? That's ignoring the whole criminal privacy violation thing. Honestly the only pieces that Montreal has that are of any real interest are understandably, probably not available.
Well, we know Mailloux is good at scoring.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
so, definitely more physical than Morrow and was pretty solid in the A this year from all reports. The guy I still want us to get from them in a trade is Reinbacher, but that's not happening.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
so, definitely more physical than Morrow and was pretty solid in the A this year from all reports. The guy I still want us to get from them in a trade is Reinbacher, but that's not happening.
Something I posted here last June....

1717259057493.png

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Trying to explain to Vancouver fans that Morrow has more value and potential than Hoglander is like hitting your head against a wall, but even less productive...I quit :banghead:

Yea he has a great season, but it's way more likely an outlier than his new normal

Reactions: chaz4hockey

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I get that the buyout narrative is good for clicks but the way it’s been thrown around as the assumed most likely scenario for Kotkaniemi by the media has been disappointing yet unsurprising.

Maybe i’m naive but I’d be shocked if there aren’t at least five teams that would take him on for future considerations. I can see Dundon approving a sweetener in the deal if it had to come down to if instead of having about a million in dead cap space and out of his pocket for more than a decade for a guy not employed by the team.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
SPORTSNET front page:

“Two years later, it was Kotkaniemi's turn to become an RFA, and the Hurricanes promptly signed him to an offer sheet designed to put pressure on the Canadiens. ”

Promptly? Free agent frenzy began July 28, 2021. The offer sheet didn’t happen until August 28, 2021.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Could be a tactic to drive up demand

I mean, over 10 teams have apparently already called about him. That’s pretty good demand.

I feel like starting contract talks and then trading him afterwards weakens your position, because it takes the “Oh, we’ll just keep him/sign him ourselves” threat completely off the table. While if we had started trade talks right away, that card is still in your deck should you want to squeeze out an extra 2nd or something.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I mean, unless he’s taking a discount, engaging in contract talks with him seems like a pointless exercise. He’s going to get much more from another team that can utilize him better.
I mean, over 10 teams have apparently already called about him. That’s pretty good demand.

I feel like starting contract talks and then trading him afterwards weakens your position, because it takes the “Oh, we’ll just keep him/sign him ourselves” threat completely off the table. While if we had started trade talks right away, that card is still in your deck should you want to squeeze out an extra 2nd or something.
I'm reading this as "everybody called, but nobody is in the ballpark of what we'd even want." so our preferences shifted enough to contemplate that our best option might not be moving him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad