Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
It feels like there will either be marriage counseling or a quickie divorce soon re: Necas. I am still leaning towards the divorce. A lot of this disconnect appears to have been simmering for a while. Learning that one's name is always involved in various trade scenarios can't have been reassuring to Necas these past few years.

Quite a lot of change is coming to the team regardless. A blanket shift may be the easiest option to manage. It could provide insight to how locked in the fanbase actually is should there be a big dip.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm reading this as "everybody called, but nobody is in the ballpark of what we'd even want." so our preferences shifted enough to contemplate that our best option might not be moving him right now.

I’m not sure how. “Discuss a contract first” before “engaging in trade discussions” implies they haven’t even built a ballpark, let alone invite people inside.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Not sure about that, it means he has value and teams are asking about him.
True..but it also says he is disposable in a way as well to them if the Canes were offering him up in trade proposals for 2 years or more? From a job security POV, I am not sure how one would feel about such news even in a professional league?

Reactions: Lempo

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I’m not sure how. “Discuss a contract first” before “engaging in trade discussions” implies they haven’t even built a ballpark, let alone invite people inside.
I think it has definite "heard from a lot of suitors for a trade and nobody's initial discussions excited us, so let's see what not making a move looks like, before considering these lackluster options" vibes.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I get that the buyout narrative is good for clicks but the way it’s been thrown around as the assumed most likely scenario for Kotkaniemi by the media has been disappointing yet unsurprising.
I don't think anything happens with Kotkaniemi until the team gets clarity on Guentzel, Necas, and Jarvis. Big picture and all....
I mean, unless he’s taking a discount, engaging in contract talks with him seems like a pointless exercise. He’s going to get much more from another team that can utilize him better.
The Canes are going to want to know the full picture. What will Marty take? Can we work that in to our cap picture? I still believe the comment that, "....the Canes are looking to have Necas in a larger role" next season.
I feel like starting contract talks and then trading him afterwards weakens your position, because it takes the “Oh, we’ll just keep him/sign him ourselves” threat completely off the table.
Actually, doesn't it put us in the position of being able to compare values? Value of the trade vs. value of the contract. Also, rare as it is, it does put the mythical "sign and trade" on the table.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
SPORTSNET front page:

I don’t know if the guy who wrote that article was a Habs fan, but he is definitely a troll. I mean… just look at his sportsnet/twitter profile pic:

1717329461990.png

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
There's a pick in play too. Les Ouragans de Carolina want an established active NHLer and a high draft pick for Necas.

And honestly, to get your hands on an elegant and productive large-format striker, a guaranteed top six like Necas, paying Xhekaj and a choice between 26th and 37th, the risk is calculated very well in my opinion.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Opening night D spend:

SeasonHighest Paid
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
Total
18-19
7.23%​
6.67%​
6.08%​
5.72%​
5.06%​
2.89%​
1.09%​
34.74%​
19-20
7.06%​
6.50%​
4.97%​
4.94%​
3.80%​
2.82%​
1.04%​
31.13%​
21​
7.06%​
6.50%​
6.44%​
4.97%​
4.94%​
1.60%​
31.50%​
21-22
6.50%​
6.44%​
4.94%​
3.56%​
2.45%​
1.23%​
0.98%​
26.10%​
22-23
6.42%​
6.40%​
6.42%​
4.88%​
1.03%​
0.92%​
0.92%​
27.01%​
23-24
9.28%​
6.35%​
6.32%​
6.35%​
4.82%​
2.01%​
0.91%​
36.04%​

Some heavy years. Some skinny years. Averages out to 31.09%, roughly their 19-21 spend.

At $87.5 mil, 20.95% is committed to Orlov, Slavin and Burns for next year. The average gives them ~$8.87 mil to play with. That's enough for an established 2nd pair D in free agency, internal or external, if they go skinny on the 3rd pair to start. Add the next Gostisbehere/Hakanpaa at the deadline for depth. If it's Chatfield-level, they could go skinny on the 3rd pair like 21-23 or look to add a season long solution in the offseason.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If he is dead set on it, we might as well do that thing where we let him speak to other teams now. Maybe we can get a pick out of it if he does leave or if we need to facilitate an 8th year. Maybe it just lets him see that we're a good fit at our offer versus other teams. Worst case, it's just one of those situations where he leaves July 1 and it doesn't hurt or help that we let him.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The NHL doesn't love a bunch of news coming out during the Finals, even on off days. Some still does happen, but they've been said to discourage it in the past. Given that a potential game 7 goes so late to just before the draft, this could be a week of movement with teams around the league. I think the combine is this week too, so GMs and agents tend to be around each other, and you'd imagine teams will get a pretty good idea of where they stand with guys and maybe get some contracts done around the league.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
can't see it if we don't have something worked out with Guentzel.
Unless it's a major move.

For instance, if they know Guentzel is going to 7/1, and they don't think things can be salvaged with Necas, that opens up the potential to bring back a major forward.

Laine doesn't seem like the move. Do the Blues trade Kyrou for a package with Necas? I know Kyrou has just as many defensive issues as Necas, possibly more. But that moves from Necas to a 30 goal scorer signed for 6 more years, when he's only 32.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Unless it's a major move.

For instance, if they know Guentzel is going to 7/1, and they don't think things can be salvaged with Necas, that opens up the potential to bring back a major forward.

Laine doesn't seem like the move. Do the Blues trade Kyrou for a package with Necas? I know Kyrou has just as many defensive issues as Necas, possibly more. But that moves from Necas to a 30 goal scorer signed for 6 more years, when he's only 32.
If we are fishing for a big FA move we are either playing ELCs when they aren’t ready, getting old league minimum depth guys, and/or finding players teams will retain on in other deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad