Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
ignoring the return, i disagree.

excepting goodrow and nemeth there was no cap related impetus to trade him at that time.

the theories for buch trade impetus are:

kakko needed ice time
space for eichel trade
grit and depth (goodrow/nemeth)
didn't like the guy (car accident)

or some combination of the above.

none of these were valid reasons. the idea that buch should be traded was erroneous.
Yeah. They didn't need to trade him at all at that point. If Drury didn't get what he wanted he could have held onto Buch. He fell in love with Blais and what he envisioned he could become.

Reactions: noncents

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
it's why Rangers fans as a whole don't really deserve to have their team win. We boo great players and teams, we're incredibly impatient and entitled, we feed the media machine that influences ownership to make bad decisions and then blame players when we reap what the team sows.

personally i blame Yankee fans who feel like it's a disappointment if their team doesn't win it every year, and calls it "having pride in the organization."
1 Cup in 84 years does scream impatience and entitlement...

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Yeah. They didn't need to trade him at all at that point. If Drury didn't get what he wanted he could have held onto Buch. He fell in love with Blais and what he envisioned he could become.
Everyone is forgetting the problem with Buchnevich at the time was paying him $3M -> $6M was going to make the roster very very difficult to work the second Adam Fox went from 825k/yr to $9.5M.

If they did make it work, there's no money for Vincent Trochek for example and a huge 2C hole for example.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
no idea what this means. fans have no control over whether or not the team wins.

what the fans think the team should do to win is what embodies the impatience and entitlement, not how they respond to a season ending with a loss.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
no idea what this means. fans have no control over whether or not the team wins.

what the fans think the team should do to win is what embodies the impatience and entitlement, not how they respond to a season ending with a loss.
The org gives zero rusty f***s about what the fanbase thinks. See: fan outreach, social media presence, doing f***ing anything on a network they own, etc.

As long as the economy is good and the lower bowl and the boxes sell is what they care about, followed by Dolan wanting to win now because he's alive and winning is more fun than losing.

But fans have nothing to do with anything. You can't possibly think that a management team that speaks to the public once a year cares what Larry Brooks writes in the Post. Nonsense. Noncents even.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

So the fans, who have no control yet do have the ability to influence the team through the media, embodies impatience and entitlement within the organization, which manifests itself as one Cup in 84 years?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
So the fans, who have no control yet do have the ability to influence the team through the media, embodies impatience and entitlement within the organization, which manifests itself as one Cup in 84 years?
I think its a roundabout way of blaming fans for the team not doing a long ass rebuild? Not sure.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Toronto Maple Leaf fan base disproves this point entirely.

The most self important, delusional, magical thinking group I’ve seen. Utter morons, the lot of them

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Everyone is forgetting the problem with Buchnevich at the time was paying him $3M -> $6M was going to make the roster very very difficult to work the second Adam Fox went from 825k/yr to $9.5M.

If they did make it work, there's no money for Vincent Trochek for example and a huge 2C hole for example.
nope.

1.75 for reaves
3.64 for goodrow
2.5 for nemeth

about 8 right there.
strome was getting 4.5, trocheck got 5.6, a 1.1mm increase.

5.8 + 1.1 is less than the 8 we paid for nemeth/goodrow/reaves.

it's not hard to fact check this stuff.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The Toronto Maple Leaf fan base disproves this point entirely.

The most self important, delusional, magical thinking group I’ve seen. Utter morons, the lot of them
I think you've just described sports fans in general. There are certainly levels, but 'sense' just seems to go out the window when it comes to fandom, which is both a good and bad thing

effen

Feb 3, 2018
nope.

1.75 for reaves
3.64 for goodrow
2.5 for nemeth

about 8 right there.
strome was getting 4.5, trocheck got 5.6, a 1.1mm increase.

5.8 + 1.1 is less than the 8 we paid for nemeth/goodrow/reaves.

it's not hard to fact check this stuff.
That you think they spent the money poorly is completely irrelevant.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

They didn't need to make it work past that current season. They didn't need to give him the contract and they also didn't need to trade him in the offseason.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
With Joshua gone, I’m less sure what options are out there at forward who could make this team more difficult to play against. Edstrom obviously helps on the 4th line. Berard is kind of a water-bug high energy guy with skill.

Maybe Perron? He’s a bit of a PIA.

Marchessault? He’s a bit of a PIA.

Would they sig someone like Lomberg on the opposite wing from Edstrom and allow Cuylle to start on that 3rd line?

On defense there are more options.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hehe....ppl in glass houses though...
They’re worse and I want them to know it.

Can’t even sell out a game in the God damn Canadian capital because every person in Ontario is in love with the f***ing sick old man of Canada franchise that the last people who saw them win a cup are eligible for retirement benefits.

• Haha
Reactions: JCProdigy

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
you're right to point this apparent incongruity out, so let me clarify: i can't speak to 84 years worth of mismanagement. i'm really talking about the last 20 years.

i think fan influence has changed in very recent history as social media and the internet has given platforms for vocal majorities. consider pride movements, etc. it's much subtler but still a real element imo for less specific issues like anti-euro bias.

i also didn't say fans control media, i said they feed it. fans aren't entirely culpable but i do believe that new york media is a cycle that capitalizes on what new york fans care about. This does have an influence on organizational strategy in my opinion. as was said (disparagingly), you can't rebuild in nyc.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
They didn't need to make it work past that current season. They didn't need to give him the contract and they also didn't need to trade him in the offseason.
I don't think they were far along enough to justify self-renting Buch but I can respect it if that's your position.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kane has no interest in redemption here. He just wants the best contract.

I wasn't interested in 1 yr im certainly not interested in term.

It's so annoying to hear how he wants to right the wrong with the Rangers.

He just wants the best contract.
Most players want the best contract. There may be a little wiggle room here and there occasionally but while its a game to us to most players its a short career business.

Reactions: Atax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad