Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Ok question for the CBA geniuses.

Can Trouba be waived now that he only has a limited NTC? Or does the NMC stay throughout the duration of the contract?
he can still have a full move nmc but a limited ntc. Would need to look at capfriendly.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Aside from objectively bad moves of his own doing (Buch trade, bad contracts), I will grant that Drury has been hamstrung by moves like the Trouba deal. Nothing he can do about having no cap space.

Of course he shouldn't have signed Goodrow to begin with, shouldn't have given Mika the deal he gave him, shouldn't have given Shesterkin only a 4 year deal (should have ponied up to get him for longer, perhaps with the money he freed up by NOT signing Goodrow).

But he had no real cap space due to things the GM before him did.

Definitely A.
I think we've had the same roster holes for 3 seasons. And we've filled those holes by using many many many picks. Vince said on his podcast, Drury has traded away 24 picks since he came on. That's late stages Neil Smith vibes and typical Glen Sather.

I'm sure in total, Drurys brought back at least 10 picks. But still, it's really hard to compete when you're thinning out your organizational depth year on year to fill the same lineup spots for 2 months at a time.

Drury is trying to move mountains right now just to bring in guys like Sean Walker. We just have very little sought after trade ammunition between the limited draft capital, contracts that can't be moved.

And unfortunately, the youth coming up through the pipeline aren't the obvious answers to our biggest lineup holes. 1 or 2 LD, 1RW, 3C.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

Can Trouba be waived now that he only has a limited NTC? Or does the NMC stay throughout the duration of the contract?
I thought he only had a NTC and it wasn't a NMC?

edit: Meaning right now, and I see yes, someone pointed out it wasn't.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
CapFriendly has an interesting tool I haven't seen before that has scouting reports for some of the players;

Matt Roy
View attachment 888074
Matt Roy Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Brenden Dillon
View attachment 888075

Brenden Dillon Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

These are my guys

Dillon doesn't play PP< that's fine, the Rangers don't need that. He's a big, tough, hard-hitting LD and he won't require a long term commitment. 2-3 years
Since 2015 Dillon has played over 20mins per game once in a season (20:02) and he was 18:44 last year. He is going to be 34 years old shortly. He is going to be a 3rd pair guy VERY soon.

Roy has been in the 20 ish min range and is going to be 30 next year. He is coming off of a 3.150m aav and is walking into a bad ufa d class, he is going to be making over 5m on his next deal. If we pay him 5 or more than you assume he is going next to Fox right? Is this the player that we want to pair with fox for the next few years? Does his skill set match with Schneider?

Reactions: mas0764

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I think we've had the same roster holes for 3 seasons. And we've filled those holes by using many many many picks. Vince said on his podcast, Drury has traded away 24 picks since he came on. That's late stages Neil Smith vibes and typical Glen Sather.

I'm sure in total, Drurys brought back at least 10 picks. But still, it's really hard to compete when you're thinning out your organizational depth year on year to fill the same lineup spots for 2 months at a time.

Drury is trying to move mountains right now just to bring in guys like Sean Walker. We just have very little sought after trade ammunition between the limited draft capital, contracts that can't be moved.

And unfortunately, the youth coming up through the pipeline aren't the obvious answers to our biggest lineup holes. 1 or 2 LD, 1RW, 3C.

This is why renting over and over again is so f***ing stupid.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC

Trouba could be waived at any time, even with the NTC......only NMC protects players from being waived or sent to minors.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
With the ZIbanejad deal there really wasn't another available option at the time after Eichel didn't come here. Even then, Zibanejad's deal isn't terrible in terms of money and he could rebound from last year. But...there wasn't much out there for a 1C at the time

The other option at the time was simply going without him. Trading him.

We'd be in a way better spot now.

And we would have had to give up all those zero Cup wins or even appearances.

“Short”

Chytil
Kakko
Lafreniere
Cuylle
Rempe
Edstrom
Othmann
Perreault
Berard

Fox
Schneider
Miller
Jones

All 25 years old or younger

Yeah but not a ton of surefire top 6/top 4 names there.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I consider this good news, mostly in the sense that it would then appear Trouba is the one to be moved.

And hopefully that if cheap enough, Lindgren is moved down in the pecking order in favor of Miller or a new acquisition.
This…. Even if Lindgren signs for around 4-4.25 it’s a moveable contract at his age…. There shouldn’t be any ntc/nmc…

If Lindgren has his role decreased, there’s likely a good chance he returns to form…
There was not 1 person on here bitching about Lindgren prior to this season. I have a hard time believing the wheels fall off at 26 years old and it’s an automatic down spiral for him….
I also think some will be in for a rude awakening proposing some of the names we should bring in to improve the D.
There aren’t any magic unicorns coming who don’t have faults and don’t make any mistakes.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC

I agree with you in principle, but I really don't think the roster holes you refer to will be solved until we find a way to address the real problem areas -- namely our top 3 pulling disappearing acts at the most crucial times.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This…. Even if Lindgren signs for around 4-4.25 it’s a moveable contract at his age…. There shouldn’t be any ntc/nmc…

If Lindgren has his role decreased, there’s likely a good chance he returns to form…
There was not 1 person on here bitching about Lindgren prior to this season. I have a hard time believing the wheels fall off at 26 years old and it’s an automatic down spiral for him….
I also think some will be in for a rude awakening proposing some of the names we should bring in to improve the D.
There aren’t any magic unicorns coming who don’t have faults and don’t make any mistakes.
pretty sure we bitched about him some last year...it hasn't JUST been this year he's fallen off a cliff, he's been trending down a bit from his high point

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
It is very clearly A, if we operate under the assumption that the contract is very reasonable, and that Lindgren gets moved down.

I think some people answered B because they don't think the contract will be reasonable and they don't think he'll be split from Fox, but that's not what the hypothetical presumed.
exactly right and exactly why i phrased the hypothetical that way

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The other option at the time was simply going without him. Trading him.

We'd be in a way better spot now.
I am hardly a big Zibanejad booster but I don't see how deleting him off the roster in 2022 for presumably medium quality magic beans makes the Rangers in a better spot.

Punting your 1C because he's not a good enough 1C is a good way to not have any 1Cs.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To be honest, I dread seeing that pairing....don't know why, but it really scares me.

There isn't a combo on this team for Fox that would be worse than him and Lindgren.

I don't like the idea of Lindgren anywhere in the lineup but if you HAVE to play him (and for what ever reason, they feel like they do) it should be as their #6 getting minutes on the PK.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Depends on how the Rangers see McGroaty. If they think he can play in the NHL next year, go for it. I’m thinking Kakko and 1st for McGroaty rights and 2nd.

They have to ask for the list. Thats league rules. They also have to have Kreider’s list.
Any word it McGroats projects to be a C or W at the NHL level?

Would love if he can be the heir apparent for chytil at 3C this season?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Since 2015 Dillon has played over 20mins per game once in a season (20:02) and he was 18:44 last year. He is going to be 34 years old shortly. He is going to be a 3rd pair guy VERY soon.

Roy has been in the 20 ish min range and is going to be 30 next year. He is coming off of a 3.150m aav and is walking into a bad ufa d class, he is going to be making over 5m on his next deal. If we pay him 5 or more than you assume he is going next to Fox right? Is this the player that we want to pair with fox for the next few years? Does his skill set match with Schneider?

Brenden Dillon gets NO PP time. He averaged 18:44 per game this year. Ryan Lindgren, playing with Fox, averaged 19:21. Dillon was playing top-4 minutes for a playoff team this past season. AFP has him projected at 2 years for $2.9m per season and they've been pretty accurate up to this point. He is bigger, more physical and blocks more shots than Lindgren and will likely require a shorter term contract. I don't care if he hasn't played more than 20 minutes a game.

For Matt Roy, yes, AFP has him projected at 5 years and $5.8m per season. That's 2nd pairing money in todays NHL. I'd play him on the 2nd pairing behind Fox but above Schneider

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I like Dillon for the bottom pair IF Lindgren is moved and upgraded on.

I really have zero desire to see him in the top 4.

I agree with @NYR Viper that his TOI is irrlevant. Just bc Lindgren was playing big minutes doesn't mean that Dillon can't. The reality is that neither of them should be getting that type of usage but if you want to get bigger, harder to play against up and down the lineup, Dillon fits the bill better than Lindgren.... As long as its in that bottom pair role.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I like Dillon for the bottom pair IF Lindgren is moved and upgraded on.

I really have zero desire to see him in the top 4.

I agree with @NYR Viper that his TOI is irrlevant. Just bc Lindgren was playing big minutes doesn't mean that Dillon can't. The reality is that neither of them should be getting that type of usage but if you want to get bigger, harder to play against up and down the lineup, Dillon fits the bill better than Lindgren.... As long as its in that bottom pair role.

If he gets $2.9m, that's #4/5 money. Where he plays or with whom concerns me less as how the entire 6-man unit gels and plays together. If he gets ~17-19 minutes a game and takes the prime PK LD spot that's a good signing for under $3m per season.

I could see a scenario where he and Jones flip flop with their TOI based on the opponent as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad