Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The only part of that article that I even kind of liked was Tanev.

Tanev is great, but Tanev is great if you're dumping Trouba.

The D doesn't need to get menacing, it just needs to get better.

I don't see a scenario where the defense gets significantly better with Trouba back. I don't really see a LD that jumps off the page as someone who can augment him if he sticks around, assuming Miller moves up, as he should, to play with Fox.

Tanev is a RD, where is he playing, Larry? The Rangers are going tohave ~$19.5-$20m tied up on their RD and they are going to add another RD? Huh?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I don't see a scenario where the defense gets significantly better with Trouba back. I don't really see a LD that jumps off the page as someone who can augment him if he sticks around, assuming Miller moves up, as he should, to play with Fox.

Tanev is a RD, where is he playing, Larry? The Rangers are going tohave ~$19.5-$20m tied up on their RD and they are going to add another RD? Huh?
The D will get significantly better by getting rid of Lindgren. That's the only way.

Thought moving Trouba wasn't really in the cards despite this board's hopes and dreams.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Matt Roy would be the guy to replace Trouba and likely for ~$2-2.5m less per season

Thats a fine option, as is Tanev, but how are you moving Trouba without retaining or taking back salary?

Can Tanev play on the left side? Would be a good partner for Fox.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The D will get significantly better by getting rid of Lindgren. That's the only way.

Thought moving Trouba wasn't really in the cards despite this board's hopes and dreams.

I guess I'll have to succumb to this realization. I don't LOVE the LD market has been my concern all along. Skjei, Demelo, Zadorov, OEL, Gostisbehere.

Low key I like Dillon and Kylington but neither of those guys are ideal top-4 Trouba or Schneider partners. I saw a bit more opportunity with getting the right guy at RD mainly because I like Roy but oh well

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I guess I'll have to succumb to this realization. I don't LOVE the LD market has been my concern all along. Skjei, Demelo, Zadorov, OEL, Gostisbehere.

Low key I like Dillon and Kylington but neither of those guys are ideal top-4 Trouba or Schneider partners. I saw a bit more opportunity with getting the right guy at RD mainly because I like Roy but oh well
Dillon is okay. Like Kylington. They’re both miles better than current state Lindgren. I’m in favor of getting creative with a top LHD but i’m also fine with just getting a Dillon and playing Jones.

Reactions: leetch99

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Would Utah at #6 be interested in Kakko, #30?

Doubt thats enough

I think that package is enough to get up to the middle of the first, but I'm not sure I'd do that unless someone really talented falls.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trading Trouba with only 2 years left was and is a pipe dream. Lindgren is the guy to move. If Drury doesn't, then yeah, we have no chance to make the leap next year.

Panarin-Mika-Laf
Kreider-tro-Kane (this line was really good in 23)
Cuylle-Chytil-Colton
Vesey-Edstrom-Brodz/Rempe

Tanev-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

I feel like this is going to be the basic framework of whatever the lineup looks like. Probably can swap Colton/Tanev for different guys in the same roles. Id be surprised if they dont make it work with Kane. Id love for them to dump Chytil's contract (not personal, strictly business)

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
The only part of that article that I even kind of liked was Tanev.

Tanev is great, but Tanev is great if you're dumping Trouba.

The D doesn't need to get menacing, it just needs to get better.
It's the same grit bullshit from Brooks that he throws out after every playoffs loss, and it's the same reason the Rangers spend year-after-year papering over the actual flaws of the roster and the way they play.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
And only Vasilevsky has won a cup.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's not that goalies aren't important. They just can't eat too much of your cap.

But also, look at Edmonton. Hunter Skinner? Who was it last year for Vegas. Brossoit? What are they making.

Kuemper was making $4.5 million when Colorado won it.

What was Jordan Binnington's salary when the Blues won the cup?
What percentage of lesser-paid goalies win cups?

1 out of 6 highly paid goalies have won a cup, in a league where 1 of 32 teams wins the cup. If Florida wins tonight, it will be 2 out of 6.

Florida has gone to the SCF 2 straight years while paying Bob 10 mil and Knight 4.5 mil.

There's just no statistical evidence to support the idea that paying a premium for a goalie is a bad thing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't HATE Demelo, AFP has him projected at 4 years and $5.3m per season. He plays both LD and RD. But he's 6' and yes, size isn't everything, but...

If they sign Kylington and Dillon I may be okay. I could see the rationale there. I just HATE Miller-Trouba and a Dillon signing likely means that is going to happen.

Dillon-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider

And the only alternative I see there is:

Dillon-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Lol Brooks. Insinuating that Kakko didnt succeed because we didnt sign a vet from Finland to babysit him. Give me a break.
Omg that was so dumb. KK has been here 5 years and he needs his hand held by another unnamed Finish player to succeed? Who should this player be? Zooks has never played with another player from Norway.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Omg that was so dumb. KK has been here 5 years and he needs his hand held by another unnamed Finish player to succeed? Who should this player be? Zooks has never played with another player from Norway.

We tried this with Nils Lundkvist and Nemeth and both guys were gone in 6 months lol. Coddling Kakko, or any individual player, was never the answer

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What percentage of lesser-paid goalies win cups?

1 out of 6 highly paid goalies have won a cup, in a league where 1 of 32 teams wins the cup. If Florida wins tonight, it will be 2 out of 6.

Florida has gone to the SCF 2 straight years while paying Bob 10 mil and Knight 4.5 mil.

There's just no statistical evidence to support the idea that paying a premium for a goalie is a bad thing.
I think the word premium is bad for this situation. I don't think its wise to pay a premium for any player. I think its wise to sign as many great players regardless of positions at fair market salaries. So I would want to keep Igor at a salary that his play reflects. Ditto every other position. Id be thrilled to have McDavid at $15 mill but I wouldn't pay McDavid $30 mill.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
How is Larry possibly coming up with an approximate 15M between Laf/Miller on their next contracts? Is he expecting Miller to get 7m?
Easy. Laff very likely to get 6 X $8.5 (he wont sign for more than 6 years), and my guess is if they can get Kandre done at 8 X $6.5 theyll take that as a big win.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So "we lost when he played ... " IS FACTUALLY WRONG

Let it go
Rempe's play proves he deserved more consideration than he got from Lav, which demonstrated favoring vets over youth, and since that end result = loss, it also = epic

The last two games that he played vs Florida were both losses.

Also, he’s a non factor in the 3rd of every game he plays in because he’s a liability at this point and everyone knows it.

Everyone but you.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Matt Roy would be the guy to replace Trouba and likely for ~$2-2.5m less per season
Not remotely close to 2-2.5. AFP has him at 5 X $5.8. No thanks. Id trade trouba and just sign ruhwedel for league minimum to pay bottom pair until the trade deadline where he can then move to 7th D

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Not remotely close to 2-2.5. AFP has him at 5 X $5.8. No thanks. Id trade trouba and just sign ruhwedel for league minimum to pay bottom pair until the trade deadline where he can then move to 7th D

Roy at 5.8 is much better value than Trouba at 8. Not that it matters. We won't trade Trouba and I still think LA will sign Roy before FA.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
My dear Kaapo ... I can just shake my head. We did you wrong, bud.

Imo Kaapo alone should fetch pick 15 + a B prospect! With pick 30 it better be #7 or #8.

It's gonna be a shit show of a deal.

Trouba, maybe we can get a steal here, but the value is really low, hope Drury can find a moron GM and cash in. 1st pls. xD

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad