Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm going to LARP as @Big Daddy Cane for just one post tonight. Elliotte Friedman posted his 32 Thoughts late...very late, but he was by far the most confident that I've heard so far that the Canes and Guentzel are getting close to extending. One of the things he mentioned was that there is speculation that Vancouver's announcements of all of their key depth signings today (Joshua and Myers) was because they learned that Carolina was likely winning the Guentzel sweepstakes.

All of the Guentzel talk starts around the 26:00 marker.

Unrelated to Carolina, the other big thing mentioned in the 32 Thoughts is that my Saudi Football money theory about Sam Reinhart was wrong. Apparently Florida also has Reinhart all-but-locked in, and will have the extension announced soon.

EDIT: There's another big thing that Friedman is speculating about the Canes at the 7:00 marker that I did not catch. Apparently Columbus is thinking of trading down in the draft for a right-now upgrade, and all of the rumors on that are currently surrounding Philly, but Friedman also mentioned the Canes as a potential wild-card team to acquire the 4th overall pick, almost certainly for Necas + pick swaps. This is almost certainly not going to happen (even Friedman calls it a "dart"), but man, Silayev and Lindstrom are my boys. Both have size for days without sacrificing the skating and it's a massive opportunity to get a big boy if we're picking that high!

Last edited:

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
#GuentzelWatch in high gear. Get it done ET!

1719573163098.png

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm going to LARP as @Big Daddy Cane for just one post tonight. Elliotte Friedman posted his 32 Thoughts late...very late, but he was by far the most confident that I've heard so far that the Canes and Guentzel are getting close to extending. One of the things he mentioned was that there is speculation that Vancouver's announcements of all of their key depth signings today (Joshua and Myers) was because they learned that Carolina was likely winning the Guentzel sweepstakes.

All of the Guentzel talk starts around the 26:00 marker.

Unrelated to Carolina, the other big thing mentioned in the 32 Thoughts is that my Saudi Football money theory about Sam Reinhart was wrong. Apparently Florida also has Reinhart all-but-locked in, and will have the extension announced soon.

EDIT: There's another big thing that Friedman is speculating about the Canes at the 7:00 marker that I did not catch. Apparently Columbus is thinking of trading down in the draft for a right-now upgrade, and all of the rumors on that are currently surrounding Philly, but Friedman also mentioned the Canes as a potential wild-card team to acquire the 4th overall pick, almost certainly for Necas + pick swaps. This is almost certainly not going to happen (even Friedman calls it a "dart"), but man, Silayev and Lindstrom are my boys. Both have size for days without sacrificing the skating and it's a massive opportunity to get a big boy if we're picking that high!
Marek and Friedman speculating that one of Skjei and Pesce goes to Utah and the other going to Nashville

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
If Nashville signing Saros and trying to sign a vet cheap backup and keep Askaraov in minors? Still trying to figure that one out…. Why in the world are your scouts saying Askarov needs to stay down and not come up and backup Saros? If Saros is on a long term deal then the ceiling on him is backup in the org for next few years….. he has done about all he can do to show his development with two great years in the minors….

This screams trying to use team control on an entry level guy to force him to stay in minors so there is no record of nhl play on his next contract negotiations and try to keep the price down…. If he comes up and plays lights out as the backup versus no nhl games then he can’t demand 3m+ versus near league min….

I can’t see it as their development folks trying to say he needs to play number 1 minutes in AHL instead of backup role for his development…. He has shown two full seasons of ahl play at number 1 playing a lot of minutes and playing really well…. Until this extension, it looked like they were going to be using Askaraov as their number 1 past this season given the timing of Saros current deal expiring…. Because if Askarov is staying in the org, he is now not playing anything other than backup so needs to start seeing if he can be that backup guy…

Yeah I’m trying to figure out how to trade for that…. A Russian goalie tandem for the next number of years? Yeah I’d like to see that and where it goes….

Reactions: SlavinAway

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
If Nashville signing Saros and trying to sign a vet cheap backup and keep Askaraov in minors? Still trying to figure that one out…. Why in the world are your scouts saying Askarov needs to stay down and not come up and backup Saros? If Saros is on a long term deal then the ceiling on him is backup in the org for next few years….. he has done about all he can do to show his development with two great years in the minors….

This screams trying to use team control on an entry level guy to force him to stay in minors so there is no record of nhl play on his next contract negotiations and try to keep the price down…. If he comes up and plays lights out as the backup versus no nhl games then he can’t demand 3m+ versus near league min….

I can’t see it as their development folks trying to say he needs to play number 1 minutes in AHL instead of backup role for his development…. He has shown two full seasons of ahl play at number 1 playing a lot of minutes and playing really well…. Until this extension, it looked like they were going to be using Askaraov as their number 1 past this season given the timing of Saros current deal expiring…. Because if Askarov is staying in the org, he is now not playing anything other than backup so needs to start seeing if he can be that backup guy…

Yeah I’m trying to figure out how to trade for that…. A Russian goalie tandem for the next number of years? Yeah I’d like to see that and where it goes….
He hasn’t been stellar in Milwaukee

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
He hasn’t been stellar in Milwaukee
How so?

Better stats than his vet tandem partner for same team, 56-29-6 the last two years combined, with 9 shutouts and matching save percentage each season on a team that is Jekyll and Hyde in how it plays…. One game gives up 40+ shots and then the next one only gives up 13 or 14, but half of them are high danger…. So if you give up 2 goals on 14 shots it certainly doesn’t help your goalie stats even though you won the game overall…. See Carolina goalies for stretches this past season after the first part of the year…. All from a young, developing goalie who is still only 22…

He played well on his couple call up games this past year for Nashville….

Maybe the player is fine with the team assessment and plays a full year in the minors on his way to a league minimum bridge deal next season…. But I doubt it….

Reactions: Stickpucker

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
How so?

Better stats than his vet tandem partner for same team, 56-29-6 the last two years combined, with 9 shutouts and matching save percentage each season on a team that is Jekyll and Hyde in how it plays…. One game gives up 40+ shots and then the next one only gives up 13 or 14, but half of them are high danger…. So if you give up 2 goals on 14 shots it certainly doesn’t help your goalie stats even though you won the game overall…. See Carolina goalies for stretches this past season after the first part of the year…. All from a young, developing goalie who is still only 22…

He played well on his couple call up games this past year for Nashville….

Maybe the player is fine with the team assessment and plays a full year in the minors on his way to a league minimum bridge deal next season…. But I doubt it….
I don’t think Grosenik is a good measure of success. Askarov being .004 better in sv percentage doesn’t say much either.

His play is up and down.

Struggled in playoff starts and even Nashville folks are saying he needs more marinating

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t think Grosenik is a good measure of success. Askarov being .004 better in sv percentage doesn’t say much either.

His play is up and down.
That said, if Nashville really is all in on Saros long term, I would gladly take him off their hands to help resolve the logjam

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Don’t see CBJ giving up the fourth overall for that.
If our new Russian goalie prospect is as good as advertised, I wonder if they would consider if we included Kooch?

I do like the idea of something that would bring in Mercer and 4OA to us. That could potentially vault us extremely high over the next 5 years or so

You're proposing we use something that is already a nickname for Guentzel as the name for the pairing of them both? Now, I would like to see Jarvis do an it's Jake & Bake and I helped commercial.
No see, because Jake for Guentzel and Jarvis for Bake because.... well.... I mean come on

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
If our new Russian goalie prospect is as good as advertised, I wonder if they would consider if we included Kooch?

I do like the idea of something that would bring in Mercer and 4OA to us. That could potentially vault us extremely high over the next 5 years or so

No see, because Jake for Guentzel and Jarvis for Bake because.... well.... I mean come on
One day Jackson Blake will be on the first line and then we can have Jake & Blake?

Also, has anyone else spent like half their morning at work updating/refreshing HFBoards hoping to see SOMETHING happening with the Canes to help define our future?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
One day Jackson Blake will be on the first line and then we can have Jake & Blake?

Also, has anyone else spent like half their morning at work updating/refreshing HFBoards hoping to see SOMETHING happening with the Canes to help define our future?
I'm not particularly worried about our future being defined, but this is always like Christmas to me regardless. Trade deadline, draft, and Free Agent Frenzy. So definitely not a lot of work getting done right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad