Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Interesting article for those who are on the athletic by Arthur Staple. It’s about the use of analytics and how it impacts this time of year. Tulsky is quoted a few times and surprisingly states that at this point of the season we start with the scouts and their eye tests. Says analytics in general may eliminate a player that’s on the extremes of the model but that most players are in the middle. Surprising coming from the one hockey nerd to rule them all.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Meh, the more we've gotten to know Tulsky over the last 10 years the less surprising stuff like that is.

It's a sign of a strong analytics expert to know what the data says... and what it doesn't say.

At this point, he's the GM of the hockey team. The very, very clear MO has been inputting all information (analytics, scouting, etc.) and streamlining it into a decision making process to make the best possible decisions.

I think 10 years ago it was already more or less disrespectful to paint Tulsky as only the "numbers" guy. Now it's simply and flat out inaccurate. Instead, I imagine he'd prefer to be known as the leader of "a data-driven organization", which is a very, very different statement than "an organization that blindly does what the numbers tell it to."

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

:dunno:

Nothing that doesn’t jive with previous reporting. Just seeing the talk of Pesce and Teravainen in more definitive terms is a bit sad. It’s really the end of an era
Dreger saying we essentially met JG's ask. Its ups to JG to decide if he likes the fit long term. he said closing up shop with TSN last night everything was pointed towards JG re-signing but it hasnt happened yet

crap is all over the place and most of these guys are unreliable.

32 minute mark

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The only way it's OK to lose Guentzel is if we have a replacement of equal or better talent lined up. If we don't, then we're letting talented players walk for no reason.
I think the reason we’re upping our offers and trying so hard to make this work is that we don’t like the options out there to replace either Jake or Necas. There’s only so many players available that can help and prices are high. Even with Jake staying, we’d really only have four top six forwards, five if you think Rod will play Kuzy there. We’re a one line team if we don’t get Jake and then trade Necas.

Apparently Dreger is saying we met Jake’s asking price….

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I wonder if Dreger leaked that to get Vancouver to maybe say hey we are willing to go this high or maybe another team we aren’t aware of.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

:dunno:

Nothing that doesn’t jive with previous reporting. Just seeing the talk of Pesce and Teravainen in more definitive terms is a bit sad. It’s really the end of an era
With all due respect, Seravalli doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to what is going on with our franchise. He often stirs the pot and its usually baseless.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
With all due respect, Seravalli doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to what is going on with our franchise. He often stirs the pot and its usually baseless.
Vancouver fans seem to have a similar opinion on him from what I've seen. I don't think much of Dregger either but he's far more credible than Servalli.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Idk. He’d have a chance to win here. Rod has a great reputation. It wouldn’t be a lifestyle shock.

Orlov pitched himself, Burns waived his NMC and Tkachuk put this market on his shortlist for reasons.
he was rumored to be coming here before the magical back surgery of kucherov saving Tampa's cap situation

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad