Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I don't think he's saving it to the last minute. I think he's using every minute he has trying to get the best deal for him/his team. Unfortunately, I don't think he takes the opposing parties needs/wants into account while doing so, leaving situations like this on

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Everyone gets so mad about this shit, when the fact is that we'll almost certainly spend to the cap again, we'll very likely be in the playoffs again, and despite all these amazing players that have come and gone, the vast majority of them haven't won Cups anywhere else. Because it's really f***ing hard!

We have no idea what this roster will look like in October. None. Why does everyone always assume that the team never has a plan, when with the exception of DW, all the decision makers are exactly the same?

They met his number. He changed his mind. They'll spend that money on someone else. We'll fall in love with the new guys. The world will continue to turn.
rose colored glasses perspective. they met his number from a while ago. market heated up so his value was higher. he saw this as did Borg. could have been avoided but Canes blew it by low balling initially,

His aav will start with a 9.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't hate the idea of circling back with Skjei. I've been thinking it would be great if we could find the right-shot version of Skjei and put him up with Slavin...suppose we could just use Skjei up there anyway, sign that 3LD type (Dillon or Schmidt?) to go with Burns:

Slavin-Skjei
Orlov-Chatty
UFA-Burns

Skjei would have a good bit of freedom to jump up offensively and the 5V5 minutes would be pretty balanced between those pairings.

Reactions: Daeavorn
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, some people are downplaying the seriousness of the depth/magnitude of loss that faces our roster.

True, the Canes have had success at finding replacements and still making the playoffs in the past, but at this quality and quantity in one off season? No, this off season is truly different. Also, at a certain point, you can't help but think the right pieces just aren't there and the roster takes a genuine step back (or more with how this summer is looking so far).

Also, yes, obviously things could change. However, this is a very daunting looking off season; so fans can be forgiven for not being optimistic.

When you’re playing Be a GM mode in a sports game, the seasons where you take a bit of a step back, get some new players, younger guys get some ice time, etc., are always more fun and a bit of fresh air anyways.

This team, this roster, and this fanbase frankly, could all use a reset year. It’s been a lot of years of beating our heads against the wall with more or less the same group, and ending the year beat up and dejected despite experiencing the most sustained success this franchise has ever seen. I’m psyched to see what happens, even if it means 8 less standings points or whatever.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
When you’re playing Be a GM mode in a sports game, the seasons where you take a bit of a step back, get some new players, younger guys get some ice time, etc., are always more fun and a bit of fresh air anyways.

This team, this roster, and this fanbase frankly, could all use a reset year. It’s been a lot of years of beating our heads against the wall with more or less the same group. I’m psyched to see what happens, even if it means 8 less standings points or whatever.
So Metro 3rd?
I'll take it

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Seravalli says canes have re engaged with Skjei after trading Guentzel.
I still just don't get this. He was great for us...but we have Orlov to bridge to Nikishin to make this separation easier because it made no sense to commit to Skjei in the medium or long term to end up on the 3rd pair.

He doesn't have a future here. Please for the love of sanity do not give him a NTC/NMC.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Here’s hoping tomorrow can at least assuage a few fears and walk some people back from the ledge, myself included. Hard not to get wrapped up in an emotionally frenzy given the rise of this team in the last six years, the disappointing playoff exits, and now a massive squad turnover. Include the particulars about the lack of retaining Guentzel and the frustrating Necas conundrum and I can’t blame anyone for venting or letting off steam here.

Beyond free agency, we’ve also got to look at the way our front office has handled making trades out of left field to fill holes. Once the FA market settles there’s always a mid July mini frenzy where teams try and do their final transactions to balance things out before they take their vacations ahead of preseason. If a true reset year is on the cards, Anton is right in that we need to just appreciate it for what it is. It’s always nice and exciting to see new personnel put on the jersey and there’s always comeback seasons to look out for as well as continued level ups for the young guns.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No QO for Comtois. Not sure what the value would have been but perhaps it was too high and they’ll just try to sign him now as a ufa. Figured he’d be a regular on our fourth line.

Between Staal, KK, Lemieux, Fast, Drury, maybe Kuznetsov by usage, maybe Martinook, we have a lot of guys under contract or potentially under contract to fill bottom 6 roles and not enough roster spots for them. I never totally understood penciling Comtois in. I’d rather see what a guy like Suzuki can do honestly.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I don’t mind giving Skjei two or three years of Orlov money, basically let it rock through the entirety of Nikishin’s ELC. Go back next summer and spend on a Burns replacement once his and Orlov’s deals are done, giving you more than enough for real 1RHD money.

Anything more than that is out of the question and poor long term planning.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Rod putting him in for that one playoff game and playing him like 5 minutes is still baffling to me.
Rod might be called "hardheaded" or "the smartest guy in the room, just ask him" no doubt.
He absolutely is stuck in his ways and there is no changing it, even failure.

Reactions: skipnjump

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
10 nmc
8.5 nmc
6.35 nmc
4.78, most signing bonus and M-ntc (15)

To not violate the variance rule for contracts we could offer this 4 year deal structure to Stamkos.

4 year, 29.6 million deal. 7.4 million aav. Don’t love it but that 4th year could be moved. Would prefer to do 2 x 9.5 but he gets more money and term on the market

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
10 nmc
8.5 nmc
6.35 nmc
4.78, most signing bonus and M-ntc (15)

To not violate the variance rule for contracts we could offer this 4 year deal structure to Stamkos.

4 year, 29.6 million deal. 7.4 million aav. Don’t love it but that 4th year could be moved. Would prefer to do 2 x 9.5 but he gets more money and term on the market
Pretty sure we shouldn't get our hopes up about Stamkos. His one chance to pick where he wants to play. I doubt it's Raleigh.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Pretty sure we shouldn't get our hopes up about Stamkos. His one chance to pick where he wants to play. I doubt it's Raleigh.

He’s a Toronto guy, almost signed with Toronto last time he was a FA. Toronto seems interested in him again. I could see him going to Toronto.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad