LeBrun: Juuse Saros to sign 8 year extension worth 7.74 M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
One meh year and people are against this deal?
.917% regular season save % even after this down year and .911% in the playoffs.
He has never had a under .914% season in the NHL before this year.

Goalies age like wine usually, just ask Rinne & Bob or many others.
It’s a bit ridiculous bold never and then follow it up by saying except for the most recent season.

Reactions: Armourboy

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
.917% regular season save % even after this down year and .911% in the playoffs.

In better circumstances, this is a tremendous deal for Nashville but when you consider they have a former 11th overall pick they spent on the position + they're absurdly lacking up front you then realize how bad this deal is (the AAV is actually terrific tbf). With or without Saros, they're a middling team.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
In better circumstances, this is a tremendous deal for Nashville but when you consider they have a former 11th overall pick they spent on the position + they're absurdly lacking up front you then realize how bad this deal is (the AAV is actually terrific tbf). With or without Saros, they're a middling team.
I see this as a similiar situation as it was with Rinne & Saros.
Saros was drafted 2013 and got the starting duty 2020.
Askarov's gonna backup Saros and once Saros gets on his final years of the contract, he'll be the backup for Askarov. Or they play 1A & 1B.
Worked pretty well in the past, so why wouldn't it now?

Reactions: Viqsi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Exactly, Saros or not we are still a bubble team. The only way this makes sense is if Trotz unloads picks and prospects and grabs everything he can to try and win now.

Saros is not Rinne, I have zero confidence he will age anywhere nearly as well as Rinne did.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Who's the last great player Nashville even drafted? Kevin Fiala 10 years ago?
Well since we drafted Fiala, we drafted Trenin, Novak, Richard, Carrier and Vejmelka in the same draft without a 1st, Fabbro and Girard back to back, Tolvanen, Stastny in the 5th, Parssinen in the 7th, and Evangelista in the 2nd. So yes, we're good at drafting.

The people here have the memory and attention span of a moth, he was 4th, 3rd and 6th in Vezina voting the last three years.

Even in this down year he was still 1st in the league in shots against and saves. When Nashville fix their defense I'm sure he'll rebound.
Too many years ?

Askarov for a late 1st?
Why are we trading our best prospect for random dog shit again?

Reactions: GigaChad and Viqsi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Askarov's gonna backup Saros and once Saros gets on his final years of the contract, he'll be the backup for Askarov. Or they play 1A & 1B.
The difference is Rinne's 7 year deal ended just as Saros made the move to take over the starting job. From there we signed Rinne to 1 and 2 year deals at a lower AAV. Saros will be half way through his deal roughly when Askarov should be ready to take over. If Askarov isn't ready by then he is a bust and we have bigger issues because we have squat else in the pipeline goalie wise.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Well since we drafted Fiala, we drafted Trenin, Novak, Richard, Carrier and Vejmelka in the same draft without a 1st, Fabbro and Girard back to back, Tolvanen, Stastny in the 5th, Parssinen in the 7th, and Evangelista in the 2nd. So yes, we're good at drafting.

The people here have the memory and attention span of a moth, he was 4th, 3rd and 6th in Vezina voting the last three years.

Even in this down year he was still 1st in the league in shots against and saves. When Nashville fix their defense I'm sure he'll rebound.

Why are we trading our best prospect for random dog shit again?

Too early to be drinking
Wanna bet it’s both not too early to drink and he’s gone for that type of return ?

Markstrom and Ullmark got that be happy lol

Askarov is blocked unless they say here is the back up job

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
So you must have hated Bob’s contract back in the day..

But somehow I get a feeling you’ll answer differently

A top 3/5 goalie in the game for 7.5/7.7 is damm cheap today, Bob signed a 10Mx7 contract when the cap was way lower
Of course I did not like Bob’s contract. $10m for a goalie in 2019 was questionable to say the least

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How so? Elite goalie in his prime. It's a million less per year than Helleybuck, sounds about right.

I would never go above 5 yrs on a goalie when thy are approaching 30

was this when he was say 25 id be fine with.

even with skaters, i loathe giving 7+ contracts to those in their UFA yrs/late 20s. The only exception would be the true ticket driving stars like Crosby, McDavid

players fall of a cliff when they hit their early to mid 30s. For every Crosby their are 50+other players who dont meet their contract $$. Sure you have Thortons and Perrys who stay around on low contracts so the ROI is worth it.

Of course I did not like Bob’s contract. $10m for a goalie in 2019 was questionable to say the least
even today, 9M+ on a goalie is too much. It will hurt you somewhere else. It forces you to pass on the better experiences veterans who might ask for 3.5M and instead use vets getting $1M

Reactions: robertocarlos

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
I would never go above 5 yrs on a goalie when thy are approaching 30

was this when he was say 25 id be fine with.

even with skaters, i loathe giving 7+ contracts to those in their UFA yrs/late 20s. The only exception would be the true ticket driving stars like Crosby, McDavid

players fall of a cliff when they hit their early to mid 30s. For every Crosby their are 50+other players who dont meet their contract $$. Sure you have Thortons and Perrys who stay around on low contracts so the ROI is worth it.

even today, 9M+ on a goalie is too much. It will hurt you somewhere else. It forces you to pass on the better experiences veterans who might ask for 3.5M and instead use vets getting $1M
Good goalies seem to age a bit better than skaters at least

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Are we just going to ignore that Saros was a FOURTH round pick and not the 11th OVERALL pick, there's a massive difference. Come on, lmao. Anything a fourth round pick does is gravy, you don't overcook your 11th overall pick in the minors. Literally what was the point of drafting him if it takes 5-7 years for any NHL impact? Nashville would've been better off trading the pick then

Exactly, Saros or not we are still a bubble team. The only way this makes sense is if Trotz unloads picks and prospects and grabs everything he can to try and win now.

Saros is not Rinne, I have zero confidence he will age anywhere nearly as well as Rinne did.

I'm just glad I have Predators fans agreeing with me, most of this thread has been looney tunes with people saying you just bridge to Askarov as if he wasn't a massive cost for Nashville anyway and as if Saros wasn't their best trade piece to get better in the top 6. I mentioned Gustav Nyquist's 70+ point year and how unlikely it was to repeat but of course it fell on deaf ears on this website

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Wanna bet it’s both not too early to drink and he’s gone for that type of return ?

Markstrom and Ullmark got that be happy lol

Askarov is blocked unless they say here is the back up job
Blocked? He's still in the AHL. He's not even a backup yet.

Come on...He was the 11th pick just a couple years ago and is one of the top goalie prospects in the league. He's not going for nothing but a late 1st, lol.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
32 thoughts they mentioned that Saros just went "get it done" as he wanted to stay in Nashville.

Friedman seemed to think Saros would get more in the 8-8.5 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad