Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I cant believe how many people continue to parrot this while the following has occurred

Tampa pays vasi 11.66% of the cap and wins the cup in 2021 and then lose the cup in 2022.

Florida pays bob 12.3% of cap and 3 of the first 5 years of the contract theyve either won the presidents cup or made the cup and are 1 win away from winning one.

In facf, the last 4 years the eastern conference has been won by the two teams with the highest paid goalies in hockey.

So not only is it dumb to say you cant win if you pay igor ($10.5 imo), it’s just factually completely not true
That’s fair and I’m not disagreeing that teams with expensive goalies can win. But Tampa had prime Kucherov as well as Stamkos, Hedman, Sergachev,McDonagh, Braden Point… Florida has arguably the best 2 way center in the league since Bergeron as well as Tkachuk, Sam Reinhardt, Forsling, etc.

Each team had/has really high end players and they excel at 5v5 play. The Rangers have some top end talent too, but they’re still mediocre at 5v5. I’d much rather have an elite team with an elite goalie than a mid team with an elite goalie.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't disagree on Panarin. But in the cap era you can't pay a goalie $12 million and expect to be successful. There is sufficient evidence to back this up.
There really isn't. In the cap era, there aren't that many goalies who have had that high of a cap hit.

Lundqvist (8.5)
Price (10.5)
Bobrovsky (10)
Vasilevskiy (9.5)
Hellebuyck (8.5)
Sorokin (8.25)

I think those are all of the goalies who have had cap hits of 8 mil or higher. If there are others, I can't remember them.

Hellebuyck and Sorokin have each spent 1 season at those cap numbers. It's far too soon to say their teams can't win with them making that much.

Vasilevskiy won a cup the first year he was making 9.5 mil. Lundqvist and Price have both been to the finals, and Bobrovsky has been to the finals twice (and still has a chance to win a cup).

The sample size is way too small to say that teams can't win with goalies being paid a premium. In fact, the limited evidence actually suggests that having a highly paid goalie is beneficial. Four of the six goalies have made it to the finals, one of them twice, and one has won a cup.

Does spending more on a goalie mean the team has less money to spend on other players? Absolutely. But if the goalie is the team's best player, him having a high cap hit isn't an issue. We can just as easily point to Panarin, and his 11.6 mil cap hit, and say that he is the reason the Rangers can't win a cup.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The problem with Lindgren isn’t that he’s small, or not physical.
It’s that he can’t move the puck…

It’s all 3

Read somewhere recently that Zibanejad said in an interview that Kreider needs a RW that can pass him the puck. Interesting comment on what the players think they need as a RW fit for that line.

Very much sounds like Kane is coming back

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Listen if you have a franchise goalie in his prime you sign him. If you don’t you prob don’t go looking to spend 12 mil on a ufa but if you’ve got a 26 year old corner stone player you know is a franchise guy you sign him and he’s one of the guys you build around that’s all there is to it. No reason you can’t win with a top goalie. That’s nonsense. Plenty of cap to go around in the next few years. This is a good year to extend him.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Don’t think we can talk about Vasilevskiy winning a Cup with a big contract without talking about the fact that Tampa had their best player and his $9.5M cap hit on LTIR the entire regular season to be cap compliant.

The fact that they had to do that and then in the offseason they had to begin their process of major cost cutting is actually exactly the argument against giving huge goalie contracts.

Reactions: Synergy27

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
That’s fair and I’m not disagreeing that teams with expensive goalies can win. But Tampa had prime Kucherov as well as Stamkos, Hedman, Sergachev,McDonagh, Braden Point… Florida has arguably the best 2 way center in the league since Bergeron as well as Tkachuk, Sam Reinhardt, Forsling, etc.

Each team had/has really high end players and they excel at 5v5 play. The Rangers have some top end talent too, but they’re still mediocre at 5v5. I’d much rather have an elite team with an elite goalie than a mid team with an elite goalie.
So basically what youre saying is that paying a top goalie doesnt prevent you from filling out your roster with other stars is what I’m hearing

Don’t think we can talk about Vasilevskiy winning a Cup with a big contract without talking about the fact that Tampa had their best player and his $9.5M cap hit on LTIR the entire regular season to be cap compliant.

The fact that they had to do that and then in the offseason they had to begin their process of major cost cutting is actually exactly the argument against giving huge goalie contracts.
So we’ll just ignore how they then made the cup the following season too with him at 9.5?

Are we seriously ignoring that the two highest paid goalies in hockey have been in the past 4 stanley cups? LOL

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Rangers had no money last year. They have money this year. It's that simple with Kane.

I don't want him but I can see it if Dolan is a fan. I don't think Drury is.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Kane is fine if he comes on like a Duchene Dallas kind of deal. If it’s a bigger financial commitment; especially with term that’s a mistake

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Don’t want Kane back here. Our PP is already 1 too crowded without having to make accommodations for him.
I also don’t want him and/or Panarin to pout about wanting to play with each other in the line up… yes it’s ultimately Laci’s decision, but it’s a question that will constantly be harped upon by the NY media. Sometimes things like that take on a mind of their own. We are better off without the drama.
He’s small and not physical.
If we’re being honest with ourselves, Zibby is going to be here for a while… having a banger on each of his wings that can score and do dirty work is ideal. Kane, as talented as he is, is an older slower perimeter player at this stage… much like zibby he’s a guy who looks to pass 1st before shooting the puck.

We are better served going after younger wings the fit the above criteria. I really don’t want another Panarin/kane soap opera on the ny media stage.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kakko for McGroarty please
This is the type of return I wouldn’t mind seeing Kakko dealt for.
I’m not sure they would do a 1 for 1 deal though…
They are giving up the guy with 3 years of ELC control. It would really depended on how their FO views Kakko and the potential he still has to be an impact player

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I don’t want Kane but at the same time I would be that shocked

Same with Tarasenko because they now have money to spend and last year the only reason one didn’t come back is because of the cap.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Don’t want Kane back here. Our PP is already 1 too crowded without having to make accommodations for him.
I also don’t want him and/or Panarin to pout about wanting to play with each other in the line up… yes it’s ultimately Laci’s decision, but it’s a question that will constantly be harped upon by the NY media. Sometimes things like that take on a mind of their own. We are better off without the drama.
He’s small and not physical.

If we’re being honest with ourselves, Zibby is going to be here for a while… having a banger on each of his wings that can score and do dirty work is ideal. Kane, as talented as he is, is an older slower perimeter player at this stage… much like zibby he’s a guy who looks to pass 1st before shooting the puck.

We are better served going after younger wings the fit the above criteria. I really don’t want another Panarin/kane soap opera on the ny media stage.
Agree w/da bold, unless:
- bread realizes he is not gonna get 11+ to extend, possibly no offer at all = ugly, so he consents to deal to FL, who may lose top scorer Rein to ufa, for Mikkola, pick + cap relief

- Kane as stopgap depth for 1m is fine. If we require more physicality post season, he sits.

If that is not acceptable, buh bye

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Keep telling yourself that.
Don't have to tell myself. I've already told you in full display for everyone else to also see.

You continue to say nothing cause you got nothing.

I will continue to call you out as long as you press on like this without speaking to substance -- where you have lost and will continue to lose.

Surrender Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad