Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yes we do.
Lav tried it his way and, bottom line, it did not work = fail.

IF we did it my way and gave Rempe mo mins, it is plausible to view that:
- since Rs desp needed physical presence vs FL
- and Rempe would give that
- then, while it is unclear if that would be enuf [based on several variables incl. dep on how many mo mins Rempe played],
- it IS clear that would be part of the solution, not part of the problem

you too can insist on being contrarian, but the above logic checks out

so if you want to say 'no'
back it up
otherwise, yield to the logic of the situation

Rempe played and we lost when he played as well.

The above does not prove ANYTHING. We might (and probably would have) lost EVEN WORSE had he played critical minutes in the 3rd period.

Your track record is smoke.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I’m failing to see how this is bad?

Dominate player, dominates and we win. So we need to get rid of him?

We had 2 other dominate players in Panarin and Fox (injured) who didnt do anything. If we are getting rid of dominant players, let's get rid of the one who disappears in the 11M panarin. Plenty of money for Igor then.
I don't disagree on Panarin. But in the cap era you can't pay a goalie $12 million and expect to be successful. There is sufficient evidence to back this up.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I don’t think any team should over focus on size. The 97 Red Wings showed that moving the puck neutralized size. That doesn’t mean collect smurfs, but a nice balance of physicality and puck movement should be ideal. Add to that a group of forwards that can possess the puck more as opposed to just shooting, missing the net and watching the other team clear the zone. If the forwards can’t establish zone time, any team’s D will be exposed.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

Would take a flyer on Brannstrom if they are just trying to dump him, still young, can move the puck, good underlying numbers the past two years.

Wow! That’s the fifth GM I believe now on record that that have publicly stated that they are willing to move picks or move back. Don Waddell said in an interview that there are more GM looking to do the same.
This might turn out to be the most exciting two draft days ever.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't disagree on Panarin. But in the cap era you can't pay a goalie $12 million and expect to be successful. There is sufficient evidence to back this up.
I’m not seeing it, Fla is a win away from the cup with an 11M goalie, and 3 wins away last season. Cap is going up next season as well.

It’s all about how you build the rest of the team. Oilers, Leafs have built all star lineups and finally Oilers hit a hot goalie and made it to the finals with him. That’s far more luck. And Avs had an absolute powerhouse roster 3 years ago.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There’s a few things at play here:

1) Kakko is a good young player, no matter what is said on here.
2) Kakko plays a possession style that doesn’t really fit with anyone in the top-6 on this team. That’s a problem.
3). Because of #2, his numbers are never where they need to be to justify a significant role on the Rangers PP units.
4) He’s at the point where if he doesn’t get an actual opportunity this season that he and his agent deem reasonable, he’s going to push for a 1-year deal next offseason and walk as a very young UFA.

If I’m Drury I’m moving him. There will be teams who are interested in the player and it’s time for him to get an actual opportunity and it’s time for the team to move on.

I really like the idea of McGoarty for various reasons. He’s young. He’s skilled . He’s tenacious. In saying that we’ve all seen guys like this who don’t make it in the NHL at all. There’s risk here.

Winnipeg is between a rock and a hard place and they’re going to want to compete next year.

Get the deal done and then use the $2.4m in additional cap space to sign Joshua (yes he will be slightly more but not by that much) and roll in to next year with him and Berard on that 3rd line.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
There’s a few things at play here:

1) Kakko is a good young player, no matter what is said on here.
2) Kakko plays a possession style that doesn’t really fit with anyone in the top-6 on this team. That’s a problem.
3). Because of #2, his numbers are never where they need to be to justify a significant role on the Rangers PP units.
4) He’s at the point where if he doesn’t get an actual opportunity this season that he and his agent deem reasonable, he’s going to push for a 1-year deal next offseason and walk as a very young UFA.

If I’m Drury I’m moving him. There will be teams who are interested in the player and it’s time for him to get an actual opportunity and it’s time for the team to move on.

I really like the idea of McGoarty for various reasons. He’s young. He’s skilled . He’s tenacious. In saying that we’ve all seen guys like this who don’t make it in the NHL at all. There’s risk here.

Winnipeg is between a rock and a hard place and they’re going to want to compete next year.

Get the deal done and then use the $2.4m in additional cap space to sign Joshua (yes he will be slightly more but not by that much) and roll in to next year with him and Berard on that 3rd line.

Didn't Kakko play on a line with Brad Lambert? His familiar with Finns would be a good move for both teams

Reactions: skipmowerman

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m not seeing it, Fla is a win away from the cup with an 11M goalie, and 3 wins away last season. Cap is going up next season as well.

It’s all about how you build the rest of the team. Oilers, Leafs have built all star lineups and finally Oilers hit a hot goalie and made it to the finals with him. That’s far more luck. And Avs had an absolute powerhouse roster 3 years ago.
You keep pointing to this Florida team that is about to get reverse swept. Bob ranks 6th in both SVP and GAA.

Having the highest paid goalie doesn’t always mean you have the best goalie. That’s the problem. There is too little separation and too much variance at the position.

McDavid is always going to be the best skater on the ice. Igor is going to get outplayed regularly by random AHL goalies. It’s just how the position works.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
anyone remember how much 5v5 time Kane got with Kreider and Zibanejad after we picked him up? All I remember is Gallant gluing Kane on Panarin's line and trying to force chemistry that didn't exist.

#88 might be the closest thing to Messier today and this team is still lacking that type of leader.

Read somewhere recently that Zibanejad said in an interview that Kreider needs a RW that can pass him the puck. Interesting comment on what the players think they need as a RW fit for that line.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Out of all the rumors of players who are available, Ehlers is still the best fit for what we need imo and we should be all in, Kakko+, prospect and pick

Kreider Mika Ehlers
Bread Troch Laf
Cuylle Chyil Othmann
I like all that.

Goalie Bob just dragged his team to the finals at 10 mil

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dude. His numbers improved EVERY year over the pervious (just like Laf’s did) season til this season with the serious knee injury.
I’m not bagging on you, youre a good reasonable dude, and I’m not going to “I told you so” if I end up right. It’s really just stepping back from my disappointment from his draft position, and rationally looking at the normal progression young players take. If he was a 2nd rounder we wouldn’t be near as disappointed right now. At this point, D+5, his draft position is mostly irrelevant.

I haven’t followed McGroarty since that draft so I’m not sure if Kakko for him is a good deal or not. I’m not opposed to trading him, I’m opposed to selling low on him. That’s all. He had a 40 EV point season last year as a 21-22 year old. There’s value there.
I’ll drop it too, bud. I think we both know where each other are coming from.
The biggest thing that hurts about Kakko is the team was ok with dealing Buch because of him.
-They had Panarin locked up to major dollars
-Kreider signs his new multi-year deal
-NYR wins Laf and Kakko back to back……

They weren’t going to commit high dollars and multi years to yet another wing. Kakko was billed as NHL ready by basically everyone and their mother at the draft. More so then Hughes even, but it was thought Hughes would be the bigger point producer/better player eventually.

If Kakko and Laf lived up to their billing right away, they would be commanding high dollars/multi years on their 2nd deals……
Both of them didn’t. At this point, it looks as tho Laf has come around.
Kakko, seems to be going in the other direction. Even prior to his knee injury, he had a hard time generating any type of offense. His stint with kreids/zibby was lackluster… all 3 bare the responsibility a bit for that tbh…..

Upon return from knee injury, it looked like he was finding a bit of his groove back with brod/cuylle, then he hits the wall again.
I can’t explain it tbh. He just isn’t a guy that generates any type of offense for himself. He can be a good compliment winger on a line with a guy or 2 that can, I think he’s at least shown that.
But many blame Kakko for losing home grown Buch just as he was coming into his own as a PPG wing. ( yes I realize he wasn’t a PPG wing here, but he was close )
He also had chemistry with the wonder twins. Kakko just topping out as a reliable 2-way 3rd liner is a gut punch for a 2 OA pick.
Quinn and Gallant really didn’t do a lot to instill confidence in either him or Laf. They both chose to rely on vets instead of a mix when forming their line ups.

If Kakko doesn’t have a huge camp, and a guy like Berard impresses on the offensive side, Kakko is finished here.

I feel bad because guys like him and Laf didn’t benefit from a team being garbage bad, just throwing them out there on every offensive situation/PP and just saying go score and live with warts/conseqiences.
They were thrust on a team that had expectations of making the playoffs and further and we all could see the damage it did to their development, at least on the offensive side of the puck. Hardly any confidence for making any decisive moves that result in a turnover or odd man rush going the other way.
Kakko might get 1 more kick at the can to start the season here in the top 6 and show that he’s the guy who we drafted. If he has a bad 15 games or so offensively, he a goner imo. Maybe even sooner if they are already really sour on him in that department

Reactions: bhamill

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Out of all the rumors of players who are available, Ehlers is still the best fit for what we need imo and we should be all in, Kakko+, prospect and pick

Kreider Mika Ehlers
Bread Troch Laf
Cuylle Chyil Othmann
I like all that.

Goalie Bob just dragged his team to the finals at 10 mil
I'd give up a lot to get Ehlers. Great top 2 lines on paper. Maybe Berard on that 3rd line. And Ehlers doesn't have to play the PP so we aren't wasting him.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I cant believe how many people continue to parrot this while the following has occurred

Tampa pays vasi 11.66% of the cap and wins the cup in 2021 and then lose the cup in 2022.

Florida pays bob 12.3% of cap and 3 of the first 5 years of the contract theyve either won the presidents cup or made the cup and are 1 win away from winning one.

In facf, the last 4 years the eastern conference has been won by the two teams with the highest paid goalies in hockey.

So not only is it dumb to say you cant win if you pay igor ($10.5 imo), it’s just factually completely not true

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad