Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The last two games that he played vs Florida were both losses.

Also, he’s a non factor in the 3rd of every game he plays in because he’s a liability at this point and everyone knows it.

Everyone but you.
Cherry picking does not earn you a win here.
"last two games" which arguably was a result b'c lavi stupidly played him less, no more, when more was needed, does not overcome THE FACT they have a huge better winning %age w/him in the lineup.

If there are no other x factors to any signif degree -- and there apparently are none -- then the statement "he’s a non factor" also = WRONG

this is part of Rs prob
the eye test unambiguously shows something, and for whatev reason, peeps choose to ignore

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Why are the Rangers trading Kakko for a prospect that won't be able to jump directly into the lineup? This is a team that is in its window.

Not looking at his draft position, a player like Kakko is what all competing teams need on the 3rd line. It's not like he's on some albatross contract.

As for Trouba, everyone knows the Rangers wouldn't buy him out. He's a next offseason trade ($6M in real dollars, 12 team NTC, 1 year left).

Lindgren is the next piece to go.

Kane honestly, was pretty damn good last season. I wouldn't sign him to a multi year deal, though this would be a deadline type acquisition in the offseason not costing any assets.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You are arguing correlation over causation. I like Rempe but its silly to think he caused most those wins playing 5 minutes a game.
In this case the c v c aspect is moot, b'c no significant difference.
Whether or not Rempe was "most" or not is moot b'c there were no other signif factors in games he played

Lav should have played Rempe more, not less

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
What are the odds Laviolette actually plays Trouba on the 3rd pair for 20 games, let alone the entire season?

If Trouba is still here playing 20min a night, the upside of this team is capped. It is what it is but I don’t want to hear any lip service from the organization on “the expectation of this group is to compete for a Stanley Cup” when it’s obviously outside the realm of reasonable probability due to roster construction decision.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
already sick of the apologia for Lindgren and Trouba from this board and the media. I didn't think moving Trouba was likely but all this horseshit about how respected he is and what a culture driver he is is meaningless. He should drive better play maybe.

yeah but didn't you hear that all of Edmonton's D are like 6'9"?
I would take too much of that to heart.
Larry is reaching. Next week you’ll see him write an article that the rangers were trying to move Trouba ASAP.
Sometimes he’s like a dog chasing cars.

Troubas time here is quickly approaching an end…. Rangers have never been shy about dealing their captains, why would they start to get sentimental with Trouba?
If Drury finds a taker, he could be gone by the middle/end of july.
They know they need that cap hit.
Plus they also have a better captain signed in Vinny T.
I still don’t think Trouba finishes the last 2 years of his deal here but stranger things have happened

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
In this case the c v c aspect is moot, b'c no significant difference.
Whether or not Rempe was "most" or not is moot b'c there were no other signif factors in games he played

Lav should have played Rempe more, not less
Please tell me what Rempe did to make our record so great. If alk the experts in the NHL believe Rempe has the ability to make our record so great he would be the #1 trade target in the league by far. If he could do that for us he can do it for other teams as well right? I like Matt. Im not bashing Matt but your correlation to record argument is just way too simplistic in my opinion. Let me ask you one other question. What was Hartfords record with Rempe?

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
My dear Kaapo ... I can just shake my head. We did you wrong, bud.

Imo Kaapo alone should fetch pick 15 + a B prospect! With pick 30 it better be #7 or #8.

It's gonna be a shit show a deal.

Trouba, maybe we can get a steal here, but the value is really low, hope Drury can find a moron GM and cash in. 1st pls. xD
How did this team do Kakko wrong?

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Why are the Rangers trading Kakko for a prospect that won't be able to jump directly into the lineup? This is a team that is in its window.

Not looking at his draft position, a player like Kakko is what all competing teams need on the 3rd line. It's not like he's on some albatross contract.

As for Trouba, everyone knows the Rangers wouldn't buy him out. He's a next offseason trade ($6M in real dollars, 12 team NTC, 1 year left).

Kane honestly, was pretty damn good last season. I wouldn't sign him to a multi year deal, though this would be a deadline type acquisition in the offseason not costing any assets.
I don’t like the idea, esp in this draft class. If they can’t get into the top 10 with this class it’s a lot of boom or bust. I’d wait until I see how it falls. I could see nyr keeping an eye on Connelly or Hage. Still guys who will need time so with that 5ish mil in cap space he’ll sign Kane or Ardvisson & someone like Joshua to fill out the rw spots. Not what I would do but could see that as drurys plan.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Anybody do Kakko and 30 for the Sabres pick?

Nobody says the Rangers have to keep the Buffalo pick if they did get it in this scenario either.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
If we move Trouba like the fans want, be prepared for management to get Pejorative Slured to off set the toughness. We're not getting rid of both Trouba and Lindgren, right or wrong, management is gonna think it's too much "leadership and toughness" lost. It's gonna be one or the other at best. Trouba is a known evil, known contract and 2 years left.

Reactions: McRanger92

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What brooks should have pointed out was that KK should have just stayed in Finland for another season after his draft year.
No, absolutely not. There was nothing left for KK to achieve in Finland.

What should've happened, is him playing a full season in Hartford.

Reactions: leetch99

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If the NYR front office really thinks the lesson is to put a priority on “menacing”…good luck.
Not the most encouraging thing to read about Drury for sure, although it seems like part of it is Larry’s wish casting. But the point in trading Trouba is to allocate the resources more effectively. That 8M can go a long way.

Also Kakko is definitely getting traded there’s zero doubt about that.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Larry mentioned that Trouba takes heavy minutes on the PK and called him explicitly "third pairing." That leads me to believe that the team keeps him but in a reduced 5v5 role. That part, I'll buy.

The whole "menacing" thing feels like 100% Larry. And I'm not saying the Rangers necessarily don't think that, but in this particular piece, it's coming from Larry.

Reactions: McRanger92

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
How did this team do Kakko wrong?

1. Rush him.
2. Not send him down/loan out, after rushing him.
3. No opportunities on PP or PK, mostly because the rebuild was rushed and team was somewhat stacked all the time.
4. and this is pure speculation: adaptability and resilience from the team, to work on/with the kid. It felt like they never gave him input.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll buy the opportunity thing with Lafreniere, because we saw him improve when they finally moved him to RW full-time and let him stick in the top six.

Kakko always played RW and had chance after chance to be in the top six. He can't stick because he stinks.

More time in the minors wouldn't have helped. He doesn't process the game at the NHL level. If you can learn that, you don't learn it in the AHL.

He has decent enough tools to succeed but he just doesn't have offensive instincts.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd imagine Kakko's value is similar to what Alex Newhook got for Colorado - MTL sent the 31st and 37th picks for him. I don't think it's a good idea to open up a roster hole for a maybe prospect that will potentially fill a role in 3 years, which is why I've mentioned trying to make a move for another player that needs a change of scenery if they were going to move him.

At his worst, you know what you're getting in Kakko in a low-event, third-line winger with a decent defensive and puck possession game. That fills a role for most teams. Some team likely will buy on the 2nd overall history, but who knows

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I’m going to throw a bit of cold water on a trade for Rutger McGroarty to the Rangers.
Colby Cohen who played for Rutger’s father in the USHL and has known Rutger since he was a six year old and still has a relationship with both Rutger and the family said this morning on his talk show that Rutger McGroarty‘s not wishing to play for the Winnipeg Jets has nothing to do with playing in Canada.
McGroarty does not want to play in the AHL and wants a spot on the Jets roster.
For Winnipeg that is a deal breaker.
Could this be a false flag by the McGroarty camp to deflect hate, maybe?
57:00 mark:

PS: Kakko straight up for an NCAA player who still needs to work on foot speed would be an overpayment.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Larry mentioned that Trouba takes heavy minutes on the PK and called him explicitly "third pairing." That leads me to believe that the team keeps him but in a reduced 5v5 role. That part, I'll buy.

The whole "menacing" thing feels like 100% Larry. And I'm not saying the Rangers necessarily don't think that, but in this particular piece, it's coming from Larry.

I’ll believe Laviolette will commit to that for more than a few weeks when I see it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also the only way I'm packaging Kakko with a pick is if it's to select Beckett Sennecke (living in the realm of reality, Kakko+30 isn't moving us into the top 10.)

It doesn't help us next year but the kid is a stud.

Reactions: surlysailor

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

My thoughts exactly on Kakko.

You are moving a good depth piece that you will need to replace at the deadline, for a player who is likely 3-4 years away, at best.

Im lukewarm on Kane. I like some other options better, mainly because he messes with the dynamic on the PP and if hes brought in you can kiss any chance of Lafreniere having significant PP1 time bye bye. Not to mention, regardless of his good rebound year - it just didnt work when he was here

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
My thoughts exactly on Kakko.

You are moving a good depth piece that you will need to replace at the deadline, for a player who is likely 3-4 years away, at best.

Im lukewarm on Kane. I like some other options better, mainly because he messes with the dynamic on the PP and if hes brought in you can kiss any chance of Lafreniere having significant PP1 time bye bye. Not to mention, regardless of his good rebound year - it just didnt work when he was here

Could keeping Lafreniere from the PP help keep his contract down?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I have a feeling that Drury is listening on Kakko and maybe even offering him around but he’s content to keep him at 2.4 if a team doesn’t meet his likely high asking price. I highly doubt Kakko is moved for anything short of value taking into account his potential. Sometimes it’s better to take a risk on an asset and have it walk away for nothing then to sell low. This is one of those cases bc Kakko, as he is right now without any improvement, is still a good piece at his price point that can help the team win. Hes not a net negative who needs to be rid of

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
We’ve gotten two of the best playoff runs from a goalie in the recent era with Igor at half the salary he’s going to have if he gets extended and they have ended because the rest of the team was vastly inferior to their opponent. The conundrum is, if you need the goalie to be so good that he has to steal series then the rest of the team is flawed to the point that they usually won’t win the cup, and if you have an elite team in front of the goalie then there’s no reason to pay top dollar for the goaltender.

I’m not saying it’s not a tough choice but the idea of hoping the goalie steals a Stanley cup isn’t appealing.

Plus, while goalies don't fetch a ton in trades, I think Igor might be an exception.

I'd love to know what you could get back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad